hrgottman@hotmail.com

New Mexico Travel in October

Question

:rolleyes: Hey, RVers! We're planning on leaving Shiprock, N.M., on October 15, 2010, and going to Taos, N.M., on U.S. 64. We have a 40-foot diesel pusher with a dingy (Ford Ranger pickup truck). What weather conditions can we expect this time of year? And is this a good route for us? Thanks :) for any help you can give us. Harold and Pam

3 answers to this question

64 to Chama is definately OK, but the stretch from Tierra Amarilla to Tres Piedras can be a little tight for your length unless you're experienced in driving mountainous terrain with tight 'S' turns. There's a couple of them that double back on themselves. Snow doesn't usually close that stretch of road until the end of Nov. to mid Dec. but when it's closed -it's closed for the winter. It is the MOST beautiful road in all of NM!! I live north of Taos and travel it often as it's the nicest route to the 4 corners area. Enjoy!

64 to Chama is definately OK, but the stretch from Tierra Amarilla to Tres Piedras can be a little tight for your length unless you're experienced in driving mountainous terrain with tight 'S' turns. There's a couple of them that double back on themselves. Snow doesn't usually close that stretch of road until the end of Nov. to mid Dec. but when it's closed -it's closed for the winter. It is the MOST beautiful road in all of NM!! I live north of Taos and travel it often as it's the nicest route to the 4 corners area. Enjoy!

I agree with Paul. The route is very doable in your coach IF you are comfortable with real mountain driving. None of the switchbacks are limiting with your size coach. But you WILL be using those Allison up/down arrows and your exhaust brake!

Beautiful drive.

Brett Wolfe