ispjs

Old Girl Fatter Than I Thought!

On the way back from having my front alignment today I ran across the Love's scale just down the road from our CG.  We have added 3,440 pounds of "stuff" to our new coach!  I expected maybe 2,500 or a little more.  I may have to re-think my lower storage areas and start getting rid of some junk.

10 hours ago, ISPJS said:

On the way back from having my front alignment today I ran across the Love's scale just down the road from our CG.  We have added 3,440 pounds of "stuff" to our new coach!  I expected maybe 2,500 or a little more.  I may have to re-think my lower storage areas and start getting rid of some junk.

:lol:...funny how that works...Blame it on your DW, I told mine it was all the shoes, that didn't go over well :ph34r:

Wow Joe! You are one brave man!:)

Did you take her over the Love's scale? (MH that is.)

Oh, DW doesn't read this forum. I understand.

--------------------

Joe S, did you stay under your GVWR?

Does your state keep they commercial weight scales open when they are not attended?

Wayne, someone else said they weight at Weight station scales when they are closed. Have passed many on the road that were closed but never drove across them. Do they mind?

Herman 

37 minutes ago, wayne77590 said:

Wow Joe! You are one brave man!:)

Did you take her over the Love's scale? (MH that is.)

Oh, DW doesn't read this forum. I understand.

--------------------

Joe S, did you stay under your GVWR?

Does your state keep they commercial weight scales open when they are not attended?

Wayne, my GVWR is 44,700, so I'm good to go there.  I have added up in my head what my trailer weight should come in at (around 8,000) so when I go across the scales with my trailer it all may be a different story.  Not sure about your question about commercial scales being open when not attended.  Are you asking if you can run across the interstate scales even when the scale house is closed down?  If that is your question, I have no idea.  Since we are camped about 2 miles from a Love's station until March I will just use their scales, I don't mind paying the $11.00 for a weigh ticket.

When we were full timing in our fiver I used to weigh once a year.  I would take just the truck across after filling up with both of us in it and then within a week or so I would run across again but with the fiver hooked up.  It was interesting to see my weights change 200 to 300 pounds each time. 

Wayne, I did weigh the coach last summer with it fully loaded and toad is also on the weight ticket, while we were under by a good bit it was an eye opener just to digest how heavy the coach was. Told DW then she has too many shoes, makeup and jewelry, that lead to her poking back the entire way home how I have more "junk" on board than her, sad part she's correct, tools and other stuff of mine is worse off than her stuff, but it was fun to get my shots in, made us both laugh headed up the road. From the weight ticket below I have another 1340 on the steer and 1960 on the drive until overloaded would be an issue. "Trailer" below is the toad, our coach does not have a tag axle.

I still need to do 4 corners, I just run my tire pressures higher.

Every summer, I totally empty the basement.  It's amazing the stuff that is in there that:

-  I've totally forgotten about.

-  Have previously looked for and couldn't find.

-  Don't need.

-  Have several duplicate items.

51 minutes ago, FIVE said:

Every summer, I totally empty the basement.  It's amazing the stuff that is in there that:

Every spring for me....I always stand there wondering if I can organize it better :rolleyes:

I have a one year rule - if I haven't used it in this time period it gets tossed to magically reappear in the basement the next year. 

Joe, how was your alignment from the factory's?

Jim, when I bought it I checked the toe, minor adjustment needed. It rolls straight actually got better with the new tires this past March. 

The previous owner of our coach was a franchisee for a few local TA truck stops. I have quite a bit of maintenance records in the box. He was more of a fanatic than I am when it comes to chassis maintenance, which was a selling positive even thought it wasn't the floor plan we wanted. I had to set a base line for to keep my sanity and rechecked all his work dumped all fluids...

5 hours ago, elkhartjim said:

I have a one year rule - if I haven't used it in this time period it gets tossed to magically reappear in the basement the next year. 

Joe, how was your alignment from the factory's?

They said the toe was almost perfect so no adjustment made, simply centered the wheel to the correct position.  That makes me suspect that Newmar actually aligns them before they leave the factory and do a pretty good job.   Even though the coach drove out great and didn't pull to one side or anything I'm still glad I took it in after loading.  Wouldn't want to find out an alignment was needed after my front tires started to wear bad.

North Trail quoted me $300 for a front end alignment.  This one ended up costing me $45.00.  Honest shop to do business with.

If you are asking this Joe, then stop on by and we can have a beer and go over it (ain't real savy on photographing stuff and figuring out how to get it on forum).  

Steer - 13,660

Drive - 22,020

Tag - 2,860

Total Gross - 38,540

15 hours ago, elkhartjim said:

Good news, Joe. I didn't have my alignment checked because it appears to be tracking perfect.

It would be my belief now that Newmar does an alignment prior to the coach leaving the factory after build.  Our 2014 Thor Challenger needed an adjustment when we got it.  I was the second owner and I never could find out if the original owner had an alignment done.  If your tires are wearing okay Jim I would think you are good to go.

On 1/23/2018 at 9:19 AM, hermanmullins said:

Wayne, someone else said they weight at Weight station scales when they are closed. Have passed many on the road that were closed but never drove across them. Do they mind?

Herman 

Some states leave the scales on like Oregon. That is where I weighed mine when the scale was unattended.  Other states I have seen where there were orange cones set at the scale so one would expect they don't want anyone driving over the scales and they have to go  around.

I did mine in OR because the first time I went over I noticed there were no barriers so it would be possible to run over with just one side of the coach so the next scale we came to I did that.

Joe, my GVWR is 45,660 pounds and my GCWR is 60,660

Front GAWR ias 15,660; rear GAWR 30,000

Not a light puppy by any means.

Wayne.  Mine is 1,000 more, and it's 45'....since Texas goes by weight on Motor Homes, got my Tag yesterday $763.25 !

Wow - that's a bunch of money for tags. Here in Wisconsin people are always griping about being a high-tax state, but my tags are only about $120/year. And I registered the bus for being under 80,000 pounds. (We're only 27,700 lbs, but the cost was the same all the was to 80,000 for motor homes so I had them put the max so we'll never worry about being over our registered weight.)

34 minutes ago, manholt said:

Diesel is $7 for inspection! 

What is involved with this? Emission's test or a safety check?

Joe,

Texas has a very strange Vehicle Inspection system.

In counties like Travis (Austin the Capitol), Dallas & Tarrant (Dallas & Ft. Worth)  and Harris (Houston) and all of the counties that touch the mentioned counties Must have a Safety and a Emissions Inspection and Test, with the exception Diesel motor Homes and Gas Motor Homes over 28 feet. They only require a Safety Inspection.

In all counties outside the mentioned counties only a Safety Inspection is required.

You must have the inspection completed within 30 days of your registration due date.  The inspection station inputs the inspection information into the computer so when you go to re-register your vehicle the licensing office has the information including you insurance information on file. 

Now to top it all off, there is a change in the works to eliminate the state inspection all together. Insurance will still be required.

Herman  

1 hour ago, hermanmullins said:

Now to top it all off, there is a change in the works to eliminate the state inspection all together. Insurance will still be required.

Herman  

I thought this was supposed to start early this year. I wonder how we can find out the date.