ispjs

Old Girl Fatter Than I Thought!

Our state requires yearly inspection, emission test on most vehicles and Insurance.

Everything is registered for 2 years and they use the unloaded weight, not the max load weight for registration fees.

Rich.

1 hour ago, kaypsmith said:

the new law will take effect on March 1, 2018.

According to your local newspaper.

According to what I can find, Senate Bill 58 Authored by Senator Huffines is set to take effect March 1, 2018.

Looking into the Texas Legislature and the SB 58 it was quite confusing to say the least. But that is to be expected it was written by a very large group of attorneys.

Herman  

Everything I can find talks about it passing in the house but failing  in the senate. Huffines was going to try again in the special session but I cannot find anywhere if it came up in the special session. Apparently Kay has some info from some local paper that confirms the March date; I can't find it anywhere.

Texas registration has to be performed within 90 days of registration, unless you are out of state.  You can register on-line and check the box "out-of-state" and then when you return to "in-state" it must be inspected within 3 (maybe 5) days.

I cannot find anything on the House approving it. Senate Bill 1588

Lot's of pro's and cons. My thoughts are that you can have a vehicle inspected and when you drive it off the service station a headlight could go out, or the brakes could fail from defective equipment that was not defective at the time of inspection.  Inspections only imply that "on that day" everything was as it was supposed to be.

Then there is the registration "check-box" if the vehicle is out of state. Guess I could be out of state for a year then check that box again.  Wonder what the Livingston residents do.

Looking at it from the financial aspect, it is a tax and as such 50,000 vehicles a day get inspected in Texas. At an average for cars of $25 and diesel vehicles $7, that is a lot of tax revenue that will be lost.

Also, how are they going to classify RV's. Presently anything at 26,001pounds or more by Federal Law is a Commercial Vehicle.  Not don't get your underwear up in a wad, it is Federal Law. The CDL-2 form that we sign to get a Class A or B licence for a vehicle 26,001 or heavier is a Commercial Vehicle.

CDL-2 quote:

• CERTIFICATION
    "I will operate one or more of the following commercial motor vehicle(s) that exceeds 26,000 lbs GVWR or GCWR and requires a Class A or B license that is exempted by the Texas Commercial Driver License Act."

Note: Operate and driver license act are key here. Nothing that states it is not a commercial vehicle.

Link to the Form CDL-2

It is definitely going to be interesting to see how this pans out.

p.s., the $25 and $7 is what the inspection station gets and then when you register at the tax office they get the other 50%. So a diesel MH still costs $14, in Texas to inspect. Texas - Cost of Vehicle Inspection

In the special session it was House Bill 3995 and Senate Bill 1588. I haven't seen any reference to House or Senate Bill 58 relating to vehicle inspections. There was a bill 58 related to forming a new court for first time drug offenders. 

OK, we seem to have strayed from the original topic-- how a motorhome "gains weight" and how to address it.

If anyone wants to discuss state inspections, etc, probably best to start a new topic under "Laws and Legislative Action".

Thanks.

Strayed from original topic!

Brett, this one is so far off topic, that I suggest we delete and start over.  If Joe S. want's  to start again, I hope so, as it's very beneficial to new RV'ers! 

The rest should be over on "Law" as you suggested.  It is informative for us in Texas and those who chose Livingston!

Brett, I'm not saying who started it, but it was somewhere around post #2.

Now, with that said, I know Livingston Escapees do a 4 corner weighing. Not sure during the Winter what the schedule is.

Other than Oregon, which I know about, are there any other states that leave their scales open? (That anyone knows about?)

Here is the link https://texarkanafyi.com/texas-senate-votes-end-mandatory-vehicle-inspections-poll/, sorry for the misinfo.

http://dallas.legalexaminer.com/automobile-accidents/legislation-to-end-vehicle-inspections-in-texas-stalls-out/, I didn't check the date close enough, your senate seems to have thought it a good idea, but the house didn't.

Escapees has another place for weight at their park in Florida.  The name of the town has escaped me!  Think it's Bushnell. 

10 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

Brett, I'm not saying who started it, but it was somewhere around post #2.

Thanks buddy :lol:

I did bring it back after with my weight slip....... where's the smiling emogi with a halo when you need it :ph34r:

Joe.  For this Forum, they felt an emogi with a halo was not representative for any of us! :P Surprised there is not one with horns..:rolleyes:

24 minutes ago, manholt said:

For this Forum, they felt an emogi with a halo was not representative for any of us!

I resemble that    :lol:

Just sure as shoot'n, y'all are gonna get this thread shut down, heck, it's just now getting fun. Joe, the original poster Joe, do you mind we've chased a bunch of different rabbit trails? 

Maybe someone needs to conduct a seminar on forum etiquette at the next rally y'all attend.

Who would teach it!

However, vehicle weight is very important, not only for safety reasons but law enforcement can stop and check anytime.

See Joe L, that is how you combine the two.

11 minutes ago, wayne77590 said:

See Joe L, that is how you combine the two.

I feel singled out :ph34r::lol:.

I agree on the weights, I still have to get the 4 corners weighed. Once I pull it out of hibernation and its restocked I'm going to run it down to the local police department to have them weigh it with their portable scales. I have some more tile work to do, now in the bathroom area, so the weight will sway to the other side now B). After reading a few other posts on this issue I can guarantee its heavy to the left side just by the floor plan alone.

Heavy on left side

Joe.  That's the side you sit on! :ph34r:

Just move some off your cooking, camping supply's over to the other side...problem solved.  That's pretty much the same we tell everyone to do, to balance the load side to side and back to front.

1 hour ago, manholt said:

Joe.  That's the side you sit on! :ph34r:

:lol:, yeah, I thought about that also.

But take me out of the equation and think about the construction, both slides are on that side, the front slide while only 18" deep is the galley and couch :o. Everything I removed weight wise in this coach (other than Propane tank) was on the passenger side of the coach, so when you think about it...although I made it lighter in general I off balanced it more. There is some relief as when the slides are closed the weight is much closer to center, but still not centered. Now when you do the actual math I removed about 500 lbs in total, now the recliners helped lower that number as they are on the passenger side where there was nothing but a free standing chair. In the end portable scales are really the only way to get the hardcore data.

While loaded we stock up our water supply on the passenger side under the dinette front booth, back booth houses my tools, so there is some balance counterweight.  

You guys are making my head hurt with all the this balancing stuff. Simple problem to solve, Joe, let your wife drive and you sit in the dining area holding her clothes. 

1 hour ago, elkhartjim said:

You guys are making my head hurt with all the this balancing stuff. Simple problem to solve, Joe, let your wife drive and you sit in the dining area holding her clothes. 

:lol:

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 5:35 AM, manholt said:

Wayne.  Mine is 1,000 more, and it's 45'....since Texas goes by weight on Motor Homes, got my Tag yesterday $763.25 !

Is that for a 10 year tag?

I've always considered myself picky about knowing my axle weights and keeping my tires adjusted accordingly.  I have never felt the need to go out of my way to have a 4-corner weight done.  What is everyone's experiences that have these done?  Do you find that one side is 2,000 pounds heavier than the other?  There would have to be some pretty extreme differences to even show up on a tire manufacturer weight chart, therefore leading you to make adjustments.

Just wondering.