Sign in to follow this  
eric@babin.com

MATTRESS UPGRADE?

We are unhappy with the mattress our coach came with. 

We have 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 36U.

It has a "tilt-a-bed" base.  It's a King size mattress - 72" x 80"

I was wondering if a normal replacement mattress would work or if the it must be a special mattress compatible with the "tilt-a-bed" base?

Any mattress that fits should work, but you'll need to keep in mind the weight and thickness. If you have a tilting or lifting bed then you don't want a mattress heavier than the mechanism is designed for. You also should check the thickness to be sure that a thicker mattress doesn't block nearby drawers or doors from opening.

We've got a memory foam mattress but there are times when it can be a problem since it's temperature sensitive. Harder and stiff till the coach warms up on the first day out, and it gets softer if the coach gets too warm.

When you say "tilt-a-bed", I assume that you are referring to an adjustable bed? If it is designed in the same manner as my adjustable bed, and you want to keep using it as an adjustable bed, then just any mattress will not do. The mattress must be able to bend in the locations where the bed does the tilting. Memory foam is my choice because it will do what I want it to do. There are some ways to deal with the heat problem that many seem to have, one of these is to use a down mattress cover over the mattress, not over the sleeper, much cooler in the summer, and warmer in the winter. Sleep number does make an air mattress that work well for many, and of course many other choices, but remember what Richard pointed out about height dimensions, and I looked it up to be sure that I wasn't mistaken, and I wasn't. A standard king size mattress is 76"X80", so be careful to let the seller know that is narrower than a standard king size. Also most adjustable king size beds these days are also adjustable on both sides separately, of course that is not always true, you know what you have. If the mattress is too hard, a 2" memory foam mattress topper is much less expensive than a new mattress, and may well be worth a try.

Richard, I never seem to experience the problem that you mention, although, I keep the coach about the same temperature year round, yes I heat in winter, and cool in summer, then I don't live as far north as you.:rolleyes:

The Sleep Number mattress that came in our coach is extremely comfortable.  Each side has it's own settings also.  Since some manufacturers are putting these in their RV's I would guess an RV king would be available for purchase.

We have the Sleep Number King rounded corner RV mattress which we found to be "somewhat" comfortable in it's original state and considered changing it  until we purchased and added Sleep Number's  2" CoolFit Gel Topper pad which made it much more comfortable and such that we have no desire to replace now, i.e. It's a "perfect sleeper" now. Note: we did choose to take the Gel Pad to an  upholstery shop and have them round the bottom corners (foot) to align with the RV mattress but that was a small additional price to pay for it fitting properly ($35).

On 1/23/2018 at 8:31 PM, kaypsmith said:

...Richard, I never seem to experience the problem that you mention, although, I keep the coach about the same temperature year round, yes I heat in winter, and cool in summer, then I don't live as far north as you.:rolleyes:

We do use ours differently than you. We'll leave the coach sit until we're ready to use it. The over-the-road heat and a/c work well so we can be at a comfortable inside temp within a short time. However, the stuff inside the coach can take a while to fully be at the same temp. If we leave for a campsite at mid day with outside temps of 40 degrees, the coach will be comfortable to sit in in 30 minutes or less - usually by the time the engine is fully warmed and the luggage is loaded. The mattresses, however, may not be warmed up by the time we get where we're going. Then there are the times we will boon dock in cooler weather and not even bother to turn on the heat till the morning when we're up and around. The temp inside could get down cool enough to affect the mattress firmness.

In the summer we don't bother running the a/c while we're not in the coach, since it really doesn't take too long to cool down unless it's really warm. Many nights we don't even run the a/c since it cools off nicely here in the summer most nights. But, if the temp was higher during the day the mattress will be somewhat soft (and warm) when we hit the pillow.

Overall we like the memory foam, but there are some disadvantages.

Considering where you live and spend most of your time, I can relate, only because I still have family in Norway & Sweden.  What's very pleasant weather to them, is goose bumps on top of goose bumps to me!  I have been in the South here and other HOT exotic places for the past 60 years...73 all the time is a nice, pleasant temperature!  It may be -50 or +120 outside, but in my habitat it's 73!