manholt

Possible Change To The Vehicle Inspection Law In Texas

We seem to have different information on a bill that past the Senate and is stalled in the house.  Stalled, does not mean it's dead...have to hammer out what each side want in "pork barrel"!  Would be nice to have uniformity for the whole State, not different Laws for different Counties!

An example.  In Galveston County, they check my brakes, lights, turn signal's and brake light's along with running lights on my coach.  This year (Monday) my coach was inspected in Bandera, TX.  Looked at my 8 tires and that was it. 

I have a friend in Conroe that was in the state inspection business. Was is the key word. His one employee did a state inspection and failed to do the emissions test correctly. The customer was a DPS officer that turned them in to whoever you turn them in to. A secret shopper was sent out and had the same experience. He chose to close his business rather than suffer the consequences of a lazy employee. 

Legally, a business cannot inspect a motorhome if their building isn't large enough for it to be driven in to. 

I was living in Florida when they closed their county run state inspections in 1978, they were nothing but a waste of time, the roads got much safer without them. Mandatory insurance laws were trimmed a couple of years later to make personal liability the only mandatory then, and the insurance rates dropped by 50%.

Kay.  Liability Insurance, or personal Liability is minimum in Texas, what I mean by personal, is that you have a letter of credit from a Bank or financial institution for a minimum of $100K.

Jim S.  You are correct, but not enforced.  I'm generally parked in a lot or half on/off sidewalk if there is one!   

Carl --

The month of October is when I have to renew my motorhome registration which, as you know for Texas, means passing a safety inspection before the renewal registration can be submitted (same requirement for any vehicle).  I take my motorhome to a Kwik Kar Lube & Maintenance shop near my home in Katy (its located next to the back side of a Kroger store which has plenty of room to maneuver motorhomes and semi-trucks in and out of the parking lot).  The "inspectors" at Kwik Kar have been different guys each October but they performed the same safety inspection -- headlights work, directional lights work, emergency flashers work, clearance lights work, horn works, wipers work and tires have good tread.  No emissions testing is done.

And as Texas requires for any vehicle, insurance coverage must be in place and current to be able to get the safety inspection.   I'm curious what changes in inspection requirements the Texas legislature is considering.

The thing about inspections and proof of insurance is that they are really only viable for that day, that time. As soon as one drives away something that was inspected can go bad. As for insurance, it can be cancelled.  Some states have notification when insurance has been cancelled.  

I think I would like to see them done away with. Not insurance though.

I am pretty sure that Texas is notified if your insurance is canceled if not it should work that way.

I seem to remember when all inspections had to be done in the same month.:o

Bill

Bill I did inspections then. You had to test drive the vehicle, check all the lights, wipers and check the head lights with a machine for proper adjustment and you could not do it on in the rain. You are also correct all inspections and Registrations came due on April 15th each year. 

Herman

Bill.  Now your inspection on Coach and Car/Cars have to be done in the same month your tags are due....all of mine is in January and all my insurance policy's are in February!  The idea was to do away with inspections and go get your tags with insurance papers in hand as they are due...I think the roadblock probably has to do, with the State losing $ in their coffers by not getting any kick back from inspections, but I don't know that.

And...my diesel is $7 at the inspection station and $7.50 at time of registration. (Just for inspection)

However, if you are out of state and register on-line you can check the box for "out-of-state," and still get registered. Must inspect within 3 days of returning to Texas.

Confusing!  I had my coach inspected in Bandera, Texas, while I was in toad, driving to Galveston.  When I got there, I got my tags on both after getting my Jeep inspected.  You still have to show a hard copy of the Insurance at the Title office...even though they have it on file! 

Be careful what you wish for. After living in a state with no safety inspection at all for decades, I wish we had some type of safety inspection in place here. All we have is an emissions check, and that's only in some counties.

I cannot tell you how many one-eyed bandits we see on the roads, how many cars with headlights so badly out of adjustment that they blind others, and how many cars which are missing basic safety equipment such as tail lights and working wipers. Sure, they can get cited for these things if they are pulled over, but the truth is there is very little traffic enforcement done in some cities here as it is and I just don't see equipment violations being high on the list of anyone in enforcement.

When I lived in Texas years ago it seemed that at least once a year every vehicle had to have demonstrate a least a basic level of functionality. Don't know if that is what they still do, but up here it would certainly help keep some of the more dangerous vehicles from being registered and on the road.

Yesterday I had my pickup and my wife's car inspected in Blanco, Tx. As always, they checked if all lights worked the operation of the brakes and turn signals. I paid my $14 for both. When I got home, my wife noticed I had a brake light out on my truck. Was it out when it was inspected or did it go out when I pulled in the driveway? For this reason I think the so called safety inspection is a waste of time. From the information I got from my state representative, the bill to do away with the inspection never passed because of the revenue loss. So basically we are required to get a safety inspection for financial reasons rather than a safety reason. 

Carl, you, confused?

Hey, you could have cancelled the insurance after the inspection, what do they know.

When I stated I'd like to see the inspections done away with it is because I'm a responsible person and keep my vehicles in good operating condition. As Richard stated it does keep the derelicts off the street, if only for a short time.

53 minutes ago, wayne77590 said:

Carl, you, confused?

Hey, you could have cancelled the insurance after the inspection, what do they know.

When I stated I'd like to see the inspections done away with it is because I'm a responsible person and keep my vehicles in good operating condition. As Richard stated it does keep the derelicts off the street, if only for a short time.

In some states with mandatory liability insurance the companies contact the DMV if coverage is cancelled. I've gotten letters from DMV in the past when there was a hiccup in the renewal process. With computerized systems it's not that difficult for them to keep up with things nowadays. Cancel your policy after registration/inspection at your own peril.

Gochar,

I have renewed mine for the past 4 years being out of state. However, when I come back into the state I get an inspection and that may be the difference as each year we return to the S&B for a few months, just never when it's time to renew.