blakeloke

Coolant Overflow Reservoir Project

All,

This is a project I've been contemplating doing for the past couple of years just because our original plastic coolant overflow tank is getting brittle, bulging and has a couple of minor seeps.

Finally got started on this yesterday.  Buddy of mine is teaching me how to weld stainless - I'm a newbie with stainless!

Special picture for Joe - Pennsylvania beer!

Materials: (some still on order and will post pictures when they come in):

11 ga. 304 stainless

(3) - 1"x3/4" NPT 304 stainless bungs

(3) - 3/4" NPT round sight glasses.

A couple of feet of 304 stainless tubing for radiator hose fittings and radiator cap assembly

(1) - 304 stainless radiator cap weld neck.

Some miscellaneous fittings for the level sensor etc.

Blake

IMG_2531.jpg

IMG_2530.jpg

IMG_2525.jpg

IMG_2526.jpg

IMG_2527.jpg

IMG_2522.jpg

IMG_2532.jpg

IMG_2533.jpg

IMG_2534.jpg

IMG_2529.jpg

Joe, that Lager Beer is sold all over Texas now! :wub:

Blake.  Your current tank is what I have for my Hydraulic System! :o POS.

Bill.....yup!  Good thought. I'm going to drop the filler neck down and use the tubing to raise the radiator cap to just at the level of the top of the tank.  Not so much fun to fill the system with a red solo cup.

Carl, the closest place to us we can find Yuengling beer is in Louisiana.  Stop on by anytime Jim.  I'll save a few for you!

And, I agree, I've never liked this plastic container that doubles as a radiator overflow.  Especially so close to the engine where it's exposed to the heat.  One good leak and your engine goes into limp mode due to the level sensor!

Blake

Little red solo cup?

You filling up yourself?  That would be fun, we could have a party....Ooops:wub:...Devil made me do it.

I have seen advertisements for that beer in Texas. Lower Rio Grand Valley, 3 weeks ago...actually it was Linda who showed it to me!  The same thing happened with Coors, right before they brought a dozen trucks from Colorado to the Houston Livestock and Rodeo!  I was there, I'm a Life member of the old "Fats Show", now HL & R Show!

Okay.....tank walls are welded together.  Sight glasses and radiator cap and neck came in last night.

Still waiting on filler neck and miscellaneous bungs for level sensor etc.

Blake

IMG_2537.jpg

IMG_2539.jpg

IMG_2536.jpg

Well if the welds are good you shouldn't have any problem holding 3500-4000 psi.:D The only potential problem is in the last picture on the right side about 2/3down the bead, looks like a stop and start.:o Just make shure you got enough penetration.

Bill

Hahaha Bill......eagle eye!  Good catch. You're right.  It was a stop and start.  Got a little breezy and had to rig up a windscreen. Or maybe it was the sip of beer that I needed.  I should have shown a view from the outside of the tank.  That's welded too.

Blake

Overall it looks pretty good. Why so thick of metal for a water tank? Ok ok it is easier to weld.:P  You earned a whole beer after that job nun of this sip stuff.

I use to be certified in weld inspection and reading weld X-rays^_^.

Bill

Blake, Okay.....tank walls are welded together.

So the other to sides must be the top and bottom ? :lol: I think you can weld the inside seam for the bottom, but doing the inside for the top could be changeling.

The devil mad me say that, but you do run a fine seam. Now I know where to stop if I brake something.

Rich.

Rich.....I hadn't thought that far ahead!  How to weld the top so it holds 10 - 15 psi.  Maybe drop the top to lower than the sides and do a fillet weld all the way around?

Bill....the mill supply had the 11ga as a remnant and gave me a pretty good price.  But, if I were to add the prices of all the parts and pieces I probably would have come out ahead to just buy a pre-fabricated tank.  But wouldn't have had the fun.

Blake

Start & Stop

Blake, I saw that also.  Even with a good  exterior weld, that 1/4" is a bother for integrity.  Other than that you have a good bead for a newbie! :D  When you get ready for install, can you have it pressure tested? 

In another life, I went thru it all in a ship building plant in Norway and became a certified Veritas welder on a 495,000 ton Oil Tanker for a year! 

Blake, the tank is looking good, almost reminds me of the fill tank on the bus, it holds 7 gallons reserve, has it's own electric pump to send the fluid to the 2.5 gallon overflow tank that is between the two radiators, one on each side of the coach. I forgot to mention that the fill tank is just inside the motor doors with a fill hatch about 40 inches from the ground that is large enough to pour right out of an open top bucket, I would sure hate to use a red solo cup for filling either.

46 minutes ago, blakeloke said:

Rich.....I hadn't thought that far ahead!  How to weld the top so it holds 10 - 15 psi.  Maybe drop the top to lower than the sides and do a fillet weld all the way around?

Bill....the mill supply had the 11ga as a remnant and gave me a pretty good price.  But, if I were to add the prices of all the parts and pieces I probably would have come out ahead to just buy a pre-fabricated tank.  But wouldn't have had the fun.

Blake

Lots of people can buy a tank but how many can say "I made that from scratch".

Bill

Blake, this is part of your reply-Maybe drop the top to lower than the sides and do a fillet weld all the way around?

This is doable by placing wire hangers at each corner(kind of like the pull pins the body shops use to remove dents) They spot weld them - but working with aluminum one might be able to epoxy the wires near the corners that hang the plate equidistant from each corner. Then remove them and finish each corner.

When the tank is finished - cap all the openings, use a old pressure cap and install a threaded air fitting. Pressurize the tank to 10 to 15 lbs. and sink it in a tub of water. I have used bricks to get enough weight to sink smaller tanks - look for air bubbles or soapy spry and look for boubles.

Rich.

Blake, looks good cant wait to see the finished project! That should save you quite a bit of $$, those are not cheap!

That brewery is 1.5 hours north of us, I have an office in Pottsville PA, travel up there frequently, coal country region of PA, there is also a Polish deli not far with some unbelievable food you can take home. If you ever get out this way let me know, there is a brewery tour you can go on (never done it) and a Coal fired pizza restaurant up the street with great food. We camp north of that once a year to go to an old time amusement park;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knoebels_Amusement_Resort

They have an Anthracite museum on site along with the parks history inside.

Polish deli;

http://www.kielbasy.net/products.html

I will post photos of my ladder in a new thread soon, just finished modifying it, Tig welded the cracks and added gussets, wow was that aluminum thin and a bugger to work with.

Carl and Rich.....great ideas.  I was thinking of adding a valve to the bottom so I can regularly drain sediment out and fully drain if needed.  So, that may be a good spot to do a pressure test.  What do you think about hydro-test with water and use a hand pump to a max of ~15-20 psi?

Joe, for the last 7 or so years of my career (been retired 2+ now) I was more of a road warrior with a lot of international travel and one long stint living away from the family for 4 years in PA.  I lived in Moon Township near the Pittsburgh airport.  Although I never got used to the cold weather I loved to explore the rich history of that part of the US that we just don't have down here in Texas.  One of the most memorable was a trip to Gettysburg.  My neighbor from Texas came up and we spent a couple days in Gettysburg 
(awesome) and also went to the Civil War museum near Harrisburg.  One mistake we made was to try a BBQ place in downtown Harrisburg.  I should have known better and rather have taken him to a great Polish deli instead!  Some of the foods I miss are the great Kielbasas, Pierogis' and Wedding Soup!  We just don't get those homemade delights down here.

I made a lot of friends up there but haven't been back up since I retired.  Most of them come down here to spend time with Deb and I on a regular basis.  One was just here last night.  He's in a week long well control school.  We want to go back up and continue the history lesson.  When we do, we'll look you up unless by that time you have become a Texan!

Back to the project, I'm still a newbie at welding and practice as much as time will allow on carbon steel.  A couple things I need to work on is to slow down and not be so nervous about burning through the thicker material.  Not so sure I could work on a ladder like Joe.  I think my job would end up as a glob with moon craters!

Thanks for the help guys!

Blake

Blake, An air up and drain common point might be a good thought !  The good part is one can flush the tank without removing the tank from the coach. Should you just happen to have a hydraulic press and the right fixture - you could place a low point( dimple) in the center of the bottom plate for the drain. The gauge material you have to do that would require all four sides of the bottom panel to be properly supported, before applying pressure. Think a depression of no more then 1/4 in. would do the job and everything could be discharged out the drain point with little effort. 

Rich.

Joe.....nice welding and great idea on the gusset.

Sorry for the late update.  I'm having a problem welding the filler neck to the pipe elbow.  Both are 304 stainless.  The elbow is much heavier gauge that the actual filler neck.  I'm exaggerating, but the filler neck is about as thick as a beer can!  So, I've burnt through the filler neck and need to order another.  Have used fillernecksupply.com for the first part and will see if they have a heavier gauge .  The sight glass bungs are installed.  Welded both inside and out.

I've had to put this project aside for awhile and have been working in the yard prepping for some construction.  Plus, have drug out all my woodworking tools for some grand daughter and wife projects.

Hopefully I can get back to this in a few weeks!

Blake

Radiator Tank Overflow #4.jpg