snowski1@msn.com

No Power To Allison MH3000 Shift Pad

I have a 2002 Beaver Monterey W/350 ISC Cummins and Allison 3000.

I have no main power supply to the VIM.

I do have power from the ignition to the VIM.

Does anyone know where the main power supply comes from for the VIM??  Thanks

Snowski1 Welcome to the Fmca forum!  Is this mod for the Smart wheel ?

1 fuse is labeled main power(dead). No Power at ether end ?

Power at the ignition switch.

Can you find the 12 volt wire running from the ign. to the VIM board? Thinking that when you energize the ignition power should be supplied to one of the VIM board pins.

Might remove the Vim board if there is power to the module and no power to  the power fuse and see if there is damage to the power trace or the trace running to the power fuse.

Rich.

what is smart wheel?

Smart Wheel is one where you have a number of buttons mounted on the steering wheel to control a number of items like cruse, radio and so on.

file:///C:/Users/Data%20Base/Desktop/Vehicle_Interface_Module_brochure.pdf

What does your VIM board control?

Rich

They did not have the "Smart" wheel in 2002 for Beaver or CC.  one side of mine has the cruise control, the other side has windshield wiper controls...my Allegro Bus also had radio control on the back side of wheel...my fingers kept running into that button and my channel disappeared...stupid place to put control.

are you getting power to your starter solenoid?  What does your battery/ries show?

Have you tried Monaco support to see what provides power to the VIM (fuse and its location).  Generally it will be a fuse on an ignition hot fuse/breaker.  Assume all other things that only work with ignition on such as dash HVAC fan work OK.  If not, the ignition solenoid is the first suspect.

Ok, thanks for your responses. 1st, my rig does not have a smart wheel. 2nd, my batteries are showing good 13+, both coach and chassis. Although I should mention that my echo charger, I believe is dead. I've been charging my chassis batteries via a  garage style charger/maintainer until I replace the echo. I have had no problems with this arrangement until recently. 3 rd, today I located the VIM fuse in the rear battery compartment. The fuse is good and power is leaving the fuse panel on this line. So, to refine my question, the VIM power from the battery compartment, does this line go directly from the fuse(rear) to the main power fuse (front)in the VIM?? Or does the line go to another relay or module???

The ignition solenoid in the electrial bay seems the function fine. All breakers power up with the key switched on. Unsure how to confirm if the relays are functioning properly in the electrical bay. All HVAC fan and accessories I've tried seem to function.

I live in Maine and only last about 4hrs in the temps lately working outdoors. It's supposed to be in the 40's next couple of days. Hope to make use of the heat wave, and resolve these issues.

We can only suggest things to you.  Have you put a volt meter on your ignition solenoid?  Have you checked the wire from the ignition to the solenoid, all it takes is a loose ground wire!

snowski,

Your ignition solenoid will have power to one side (large post) and not the other (large post) when the key is off. Then power on both sides when the key is on. If no power when the key is on check the small post, if only one it should be positive (Hot with the key on) or if two small post one is hot and one is ground (with the key on). If you have power to th small post but still only have power to one side of the solenoid then you have a bad solenoid.  If you have power to one large post and not the other, you could try jumping the two large post and try to start the coach. 

Now power to one side of Solenoid and power to the small post with the key on and no power to the second large post "Bad Solenoid" 

If no power to the small post but the coach will start with a jumper on the large post you will need to find a bad fuse or shorted wire.

Hope I didn't confuse you but it was clear in my mind.:rolleyes:

Carl was posting as I typed.

Herman

The ignition solenoid seems to test and function fine.

What seems to be the problem is the power supply to the VIM labeled "main power" . It is dead. Where does it come from?

Is it a direct line from rear battery compartment fuse panel?

How/where can I find a wiring diagram for my rig?

This was one source of no transmission power.

The Allison Automatic may not always get it's power from "the battery" but it should be on it's own full time power supply. .... display problem was solved in my driveway by replacement of a relay in OEM VIM module supplying power to Allison shift selector..had no problems in 3000 mile trip...thanks for all the .

No information on wiring for your model year. This is a copy of an older model year, but it might help as it does show some wiring for the VIM on page 12.

..Rich.

Beaver_Service_Manual_(Electrical_Diagrams).pdf

Is there a way to test relays?    Hope this helps!

Yes. One needs to measure the coil resistance with an ohm meter. Generally they have a resistance(good) or no resistance(bad) The coils are 12 volts.

Measure the contacts - normally closed is the non powered  state and a '0" resistance  is the reading - the normally open state reads no resistance (infinity)

One can power them using a good 9 volt battery to power the coil in most cases for the medium power relays - may not work for the high power contractors

Powering the relay allows one to check for continuity of the Normally open side (marked NO). With the relay powered the normally closed contacts should read "0"(marked NO)

Looking at the relay case should show the switch contacts and the relay coil contacts.

In your case With the Ignition OFF) if you read between the relay coil socket pins and the main power fuse with the meter set to Ohm's you should find one pin of the relay coil connected to one pin of the power fuse. This relay should be the power relay for the VIM module.

Rich.

The VIM used by Allison appears to have a power relay built in to the module board,

Rich, as always, that large computer file of yours comes thru again! 

The VIM indeed has a Allison power relay.  However the Allison gear selector must be in N (neutral) for the relay to work and  allow you to Start.  Any additional information on that part, you can get from Spartan!

We are always vigilant, so my job is done.

Check the connections at the "Buss Bar"!

Ok, mystery solved. From the rear of the coach, battery compartment, chassis powered fuse panel. One fuse labeled VIM. Power confirmed through fuse. Cut wire ties and started fishing, following VIM line out of battery compartment. Found butt connector approximately 30" beyond fuse panel. Tested no power through connector.  As stated in another post, historical issue with Monico(strikes again). Cut and repaired, now have power to VIM and shift selector key pad.

I learned a ton the last few days!!!!

Thanks to all who helped, much appreciated!!!!

Cheers, Chris 

Grate Chris !! The issue with the butt  connectors was also mentioned on a web page I found. They did mention that the harnesses where often short and they used butt connections to extend them.

Your information tends to confirm that issue.

Thanks so much for posting what you found. I'm sure that someone else will find it helpful and that finding the problem spot often takes time.

Short at the rear close to the fuse box, could indicate a number of those troublesome connectors in the same general area.

Rich.

I would recommend that you use a butt connector that has shrink tubing with an adhesive, they do a good job of keeping the connect dry and corrosion free.

Jim

Jim, your right and it also helps to keep the weakest link together!

Chris.  Nice work.

Rich.  Stay away from the programs that like to eat your files....hope you got all back!

Just received an e-mail on this from a guy not on the FMCA Forum and thought I would post it:

I had same problem,checked fuses,relays, and traced wires to no avail removed vim and ECU took to Allison for testing---ECU was bad $2400 later she lives-hope this might help someone else 2002 Freightliner XC 2003 Fleetwood Expedition 34W

Thanks for posting that Brett. I had an ECM issue last year, engine would crank, run 30 seconds then die, I would go back and pull the ECM fuse, wasn't blown, replace, engine crank and run then die. I then had my wife crank while I watched the ECM fuse socket I saw a small arc then the engine died this time. There was a crimp on ring terminal attached from power source that the crimp side was not making good connection, replaced the ring terminal with no more issues. So many different things can happen.