OleB1

GPS Systems, Which Is Best

I am Going to be purchasing a new GPS system for my motor coach.  I would like to know which system works the best for a motor coach?

I've been through several brands and have found that the only one using common sense is from Rand McNalley. That's not to say it won't lead you astray, because has already been said, they will all do that at one time or another. No, my pet peeve has to do with a GPS that thinks you are a truck, regardless of whether it has information in it that says you are a motor home. When it thinks you are a truck, it assumes TRUCK speed limits and will light up your speed in red, and if you set the system to warn you if you exceed the posted limit, you'll hear it...over and over. I've spoken with Garmin and asked why, and the answer basically is...that's how it is. They indicated no intention to allow the GPS to differentiate. So, when using a Garmin, it will tell you that you are exceeding the posted TRUCK speed limit of 55 (or whatever) even though you are legally allowed to travel at car speeds in your motor home. In dash combination stereo/GPS units by Kenwood and Pioneer also use Garmin. Check with technorv.com if you are interested in the Rand McNalley. They have competitive prices and great support.

We bought a new Garmin Drivesmart 61North America LMT-S for our winter trip this year. We had a GS Rand McNalley (poor excuse for GPS). Our unit isn’t RV specific but gives all info you need. We also use Truckers Atlas. I have to say we use Interstate Highways most but if we go to smaller roads we use atlas to monitor bridge heights. Over the 2500 miles we have used the unit we have not had any problems, I am not sure you need a RV specific GPS and this unit was much less expensive.

The Garmin unit is much brighter and you can see it even with polarized sun glasses on in bright daylight. It doesn’t turn on and off by itself like GSRM.

Before we had the MH with the built in GPS we used the Garman RV 760LMT.  It worked fine as any GPS. I have also had TomToms in the past and prefer the RV 760LMT (They have a newer version out now.)  It is programmable for RV width and height, etc., warns of low overpasses and can be set or turned off for over-speed. If I had to pick a stand alone GPS I would go back with the Garman 760LMT ( or newer model).

I just got a Garmin 770 and it is very nice but like all of they after I create a given route I will take Basecamp and fly the route in Google Earth to make sure its not making a turn where I dont want to go like take a exit and then right back on the road "LOL"

I've got a Garmin RV 760 LMT as well. I've used Garmin GPS in all my cars and have found them to be the best for my purposes. The 760 (and I assume the newer version currently sold) seems to do a good job of calculating route using height, weight, and such in the equation. If you are not on an active route it will also warn of restrictions ahead based on your vehicle.

Of course, like others have said it's necessary to double check and not blindly trust your GPS. They don't always have the latest road construction details and will on occasion ask you to do stupid things. I've found it helpful to have a paper map on hand as backup since it never fails that when the GPS can't help the cell phone also can't get a signal. Doing a route review on Google Maps using street view can help you see particular intersections if you have any you are concerned about being able to maneuver.

Hi Richard, 

I have a Kenwood DNX 893...it's a sound system and Garmin all built into one device.. integrates cellphone, has Android Auto and Apple Carplay, Sirius XM radio...

Nice and compact system..

https://www.google.com/search?q=kenwood+dnx893s&oq=Kenwood+DNX+893&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l3.12041j0j8&client=tablet-android-google&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#idx=0&pie=plaji-i

Those all-in-one systems are really nice, but for someone in a Class A or a larger Class C (or a larger fiver...) they don't have all the wanted features.

The RV version of the Garmin  has a feature not found in most other Garmin units. The RV version sets a profile for the vehicle which includes weight, length, width, height, etc. When the routes are calculated the system takes these factors into account and won't put you on a route which won't work for the vehicle. I don't know if the all-in-one unit you have can do that.

If the original poster has a Class B or other smaller vehicle the all-in-one would be an option I'd consider.

Agree with that.  No fun getting to a RR over pass and reading "clearance 11' 6" and I'm 12' 3"....got that T-Shirt. :rolleyes:

I have a Rand McNally, I use it for a wheel chock, literally its that useless as a GPS... I use it for a wheel chock. The long cord makes it very desirable for a wheel chock, you can toss it on the ground, kick it under a tire and then you have a lanyard to remove it without much difficulty, hang it off the mirror, then you wont have to bend over to remove it B). I was so frustrated with their tech support, I photo'd it as a wheel chock, emailed those with a letter to the president of their company, tech support and posted how terrible they are as a company all over the web, hope they spend millions cleaning up their tarnished name. After they ripped me off and several failed attempts to repair it they could have made good and refunded me, but they chose not to so.....

My $400.00 wheel chock gets quite a bit of attention and some good laughs around a CG. I have actually had others ask me if I need another wheel chock while camping as they had the same experience with this company and its electronic products. Their customer service is like no other, but not in a good way...well maybe CW is as bad, although I have not experienced much like this in my life. This is a company that should stick to paper maps, I think...think they got that figured out but I would still exercise caution.

I have a Garmin in my company car, works great, Jeep and Honda have Navigation built in.

Does anyone have a phone number for the Customer Service Department at Magellan? I am trying to update my RV9165T-LM and getting blocked.

If anyone has experienced anything similar I'd welcome any assistance.

Thank you.

Mike & Lynn Noonan #448134

2013 Thor Palazzo 36.1