Hi, I'm new to the RV scene having just bought a 2003. Winnebago adventurer 35 u.

I have been studying my options for towing and pretty much understand the pros and cons of the three methods. I am leaning towards a tow dolly but am confused by the instructions from different manufacturers. Why does one manufacturer say to lock the steering but the next say unlock the steering?

Could someone clear this up for me?

The ones that say don't lock steering does not have a swivel plate for the car to rest on, the car must track on it's on steering assembly. The ones that say to lock steering does have a swivel plate, the car of course is able to track because of the plate. You do not need or want double swivel because it will allow the car to turn too sharply, causing it to wander. 

Hope this helps, and welcome to the forum.

I'm Norwegian and I could have better health. I'm a 13 year surviver of late stage 3 lung cancer and the combination of radiation, chemo and cancer did a number on me.

But hey!!!! I'm still here and about to take part in a dream I never thought I would fulfill.😊

Keep up the fight.

Be sure to follow the dolly manufactures instructions because of the differences. I have seen cars damaged on a dolly with a swivel plate as they left the steering un locked and allowed the car to turn to tightly and hit the fenders on the dolly. 

I used a dolly for a couple of years, if you have any questions just ask. 

Where are you living now?

Bill

Thanks for the tips, I'm currently in central Wisconsin, Amherst area. 

Planning our first trip out to spring training in Arizona in March, gonna catch some Brewers games. Think I'll rent a car though. I'd prefer making the first trip without worrying about a tow

My hats off to you also  bkv, the idea of renting on the first time out is a very good choice, it will get you used to handling the coach, especially if you have not driven a large vehicle before. Wishing you many happy tales and trails, Kay