fagnaml

Temporarily Hide Cracks in Decals

This past weekend I retrieved the motorhome from storage to take it for a much needed ride after Houston's January freeze and to give it a bath prior to a five day outing to the Texas Hill Country for the Valentine's Wine Lover's wine trail the weekend before Valentine's Day (February 9-13, 2018).  To my astonishment since prepping the motorhome for the big freeze a few weeks ago, the maroon color decal across the front of the motorhome and a maroon decal on the passenger side (rear end) went from a few cracks to many, many cracks.  I obviously don't have time to get the decals replaced before this outing.  Out of pride I would like to temporarily hide/cover the cracks in the maroon decals to improve the appearance of the motorhome.   Does the forum have any ideas on how to temporarily cover the cracks?

Amazon sells a "Color Magic" deep red wax that might work to cover the cracks (??) --> https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-FG6904-Scratches-Chipstick/dp/B001FOLMXO/ref=sr_1_4/136-8251335-1567855?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1517237981&sr=1-4&keywords=colored+car+wax

Photos are attached of my motorhome showing which maroon decals are cracked.   Thanks for the help!!

Motorhome Decals.docx

"303" looks to be a "protectant" for vinyl and other surfaces.  I need a "temporary fix" to cover the cracks in my maroon decals where white paint now shows through.   The cracking in my  decals looks like this:

See the source image

I didn't know that your cracks were that bad.  On mine the cracks were just starting and it didn't get any worse for about 5 years and then I had a full body paint job.

I have three suggestions:

#1 is try to use one of those color pencils that are used on wood finishes that have scratches.  I suspect that this solution has low odds of success, but it is worth a try.

#2 is a much better temp solution.  The 99 cents store usually has felt tip coloring sets for kids, with about 24 different colors.  With the variance in colors, you might be lucky to find one that matches pretty close.  If you can't find a match, take a photo with your phone and go to an art supply store.  They will have a variance of more than 100 alcohol based marker colors to choose from.  Use the photo to match the color.

#3 This may work well if the cracks are actual splits in the material that will allow a filling to be pressed in it.  Sometimes you can find stain samples at the hardware store.  If you can find a matching color of stain, mix some of with Elmer's glue and then press it in the cracks.  You can also try it with clear silicone adhesive/sealant.  The 99 cents store has small tubes if the clear.  A cheap buy so you don't have to spend $10 on a big tube at the hardware store.  And one other base that can be used and mixed with the stain is a flexible putty filler.

Mike,

Your coach looks nice. Just tell anyone that mentions the your decals that they are just aging lines like they have. You can tell them you have an appointment with a world renowned Surgeon to have your crows feet removed.B) Besides if you really enjoy the Wine Tour, you wont notice the imperfections or possibly  anything else.:wacko: :P

Then give James or Jennifer a call at Xtreme Graphics to have the decals removed and painted on.

936-560-5888 

Herman

I know of a Prevost XL II, that had a renowned artist do a whole coach paint job and it's black and white cracks...$62,000!  Yea, it's in Texas!  Ugh

Herman --

Good advice!  With the cracked decals, I'm concerned about looking like "white trash" if parked next to a shiny, new motorhome at Sunset Point RV Park in Marble Falls where the wife and I will be staying.   Thanks for the tip on Xtreme Graphics.  RV Masters in Houston also offers the same remove the "old decals and paint" service.  I'll get bids from each of them for the work to remove decals paint the maroon graphics.   I'll share with the forum the price comparison.

Carl --

A technical question for you that my chemical engineering mind can't solve.  On the older motorhomes I've seen (mine is now ten years old), why is it that maroon and blue decals crack and the black and silver decals don't??   Also, what do you think about applying a light, diluted coat of maroon colored acrylic paint to the cracked decals to hide the white paint showing through?