johndparker

EMS Standard on 2005 Dutchman Express 28A?

I recently purchased a 2005 Dutchmen Express 28A class C motorhome.  I was trying to determine if it has an EMS, Electronic Management System.  I am trying to avoid buying a surge protector if I don't need one.  Can anyone advise how to tell if I have such please?  Thank you.

Not knowing your MH brand, I strongly suspect that it does not have the EMS like you describe. Our Phaeton had EMS but it did not really protect from surges, missing neutral etc, only managed the internal power usage. Transfer switches offer some protection but not enough for me. Suggest you invest in a good external EMS like Progressive. Better to be safe than sorry. We have run across many a campground with poor electrical service, like low voltage , fake 50 amp service, surges etc.

EMS is generally used to control loads/shed loads when you are on limited power sources.

Surge protectors are totally unrelated beasts-- and depending on brand/price provide some surge protection while higher end ones also monitor power (polarity, ground, voltage, etc).

Around a $400 investment to protect everything you have in coach, including you and your family from hot skin and if you should happen to be standing on wet ground, you'll light up like July 4th!

19 hours ago, johndparker said:

I recently purchased a 2005 Dutchmen Express 28A class C motorhome.  I was trying to determine if it has an EMS, Electronic Management System.  I am trying to avoid buying a surge protector if I don't need one.  Can anyone advise how to tell if I have such please?  Thank you.

Welcome to the forum. Have you looked in your owners manual? I believe it will be called a  EMS Electrical Management System. If you do have one it does not do the same thing as a surge guard. I tried to get buy with out a surge guard and it cost me $450.00 to repair my washer because of a 5 sec low power event. When you get a Surge Gard I recommend the portable as you can check power at the pedestal with out parking the coach in the spot. You will find more low power issues than over or spikes.

Let us know what you find out.

Bill