grantbaugh

?8 Point Torx Bits?

My 2008 Fleetwood Excursion was coach was built in Mexico using 8 point Torx screws rather than the standard 6 point Torx.  Impossible to remove.

where can I get the 8 point Torx bits?

Grant, Stop the next Snap-on Tool Truck or Matco Tool truck when you see one at a garage. One of them should have them.

By the way, I helped introduce the Camcar TORX screw to Lufkin Trailers in Lufkin, TX back in 1969. A very good socket head cap screw. Just a tid-bit of information, on the Space Station, every bolt and nut are 7/16th. only one wrench or socket needed.

Herman

It is hard to do maintenance on any thing when some of the same parts will have both SAE and METRIC on the same item. I have a really hard time on the larger MM sizes.

Herman

Rich posted this on your other, duplicate thread which I will delete so we only have one discussion on this issue:

1 hour ago, grantbaugh said:

My 2008 Fleetwood Excursion was coach was built in Mexico using 8 point Torx screws rather than the standard 6 point Torx.  Impossible to remove.

where can I get the 8 point Torx bits?

Try this link for some locations that might have them.

https://www.google.com/search?q=8+point+torx+bit&rlz=1C1VFKB_enUS711US716&oq=8+point+torx+bit&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l4.23127j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Lowes

Rich.

Actually, I found that they are square drive. The other set of four points is square also. Having them offset from the other allows assembly to be faster going down the line. Their driver bits will register faster. 

Those 8 point screws are actually called headlock screws, and the bit to use is called a spider driver bit, apparently they only come in one size. Fastenal lists them, many others do also.

I have to agree with Ross. My utility trailer uses these screws for hinges, skin and trim. All different sizes, I have used #1 #2 and #3 square drives and they work just fine.

Jerry

I was not arguing with Ross, only pointing out that torx is 6 and 12, and that the bits are available for those type screws. The four sided bits are called screwlock bits, and yes since they are four sided, they will inherently fit an 8 sided screw better than a six pointed torx driver bit, especially since 4 is a direct division of 8. You might notice that the four sided bits are slightly beveled from larger at top to smaller at the bottom, while the matching screws have the same bevel for the purpose of making them hold to the bit better. If they are different bit sizes for the spider screws, the dealers that list them are only showing one size bit for sale. Here is a Lowes page for headlock bits https://www.lowes.com/pd/FastenMaster-2-Pack-2-in-Headlok-Spider-Driver-Bits/3849987

OK fellows, we all agree there are many drive systems for Screws. Slotted, Phillips, Hex, Torx (both 6 and 8 point), Square, Tamper Proof and the list goes. If there weren't so many

how would we be able to fill all the drawers in our tool boxes.:rolleyes: If you have purchased and Sheet Rock screws lately you will find that they are all Torx  (6 point) drive and they put a driver bit in each box.

Now get to screwing installing or tightening those many loose fasteners on and in your coach. Don't forget the entire tray of screw drivers and bits.:D

Herman

Herman, the OP asked where he could get those 8 point torx bits, please look at my post carefully, I tried to answer HIS question correctly. Thanks, happy traveling all.