rcieslak67

Leaking Allison Transmission

We purchased 2009 Holiday Rambler Scepter in November. We drove from South Carolina to Pine Island, Florida November 26.

We have not moved the MH since and I have noticed a transmission oil leak below the Allison. Does anyone know of a Allison trans repair

capable facility located around FT. Myers, Florida?

Sun State International Truck in Sarasota, FL.  Goggle for address and phone #.  They are a Allison Dealer and Service.

Can you identify the source of the leak?  Some are very easy to fix, others require a transmission or chassis shop.

Places to look are where the dip stick tube goes in (easy) and on the other side where the "alternate dip stick location" now a dead plug is located.

Also drive shaft end and engine end (bell housing).

Assume you are keeping the fluid level full until the leak is addressed.

Are you positive it's the Allison?  I had a mystery leak in a previous coach, it turned out to be the Aqua Hot.  There are two lines with coolant going to every vent in the coach.

It is very difficult to crawl under our coach, I noticed the back of the trans is coated with oil and it is leaking from the back as far as I can tell.

Will crawl under a try to take a picture of what I see. Hopefully it can be repaired without too much effort. The owners manual calls for

TranSynd full synthetic transmission fluid. I will post a picture of the trans ASAP.

And, if a wide area is coated with oil, you may need to use a degreaser (aluminum friendly recommended) to clean it up enough to identify the actual source of the leak.

This is a picture I was able to take a few minutes ago by crawling under the trans. As you can see trans is covered with oil and would seem to indicate it has been leaking for awhile.TRANS.thumb.jpg.cd6a9431310ee250eb51f337ad3bd5ca.jpg

Clean the case as well as you can. Place a piece of card board under the coaches engine and transmission. Start it up but don't move it and let it idle for a while. This should build up pressure  in the engine and transmission oils. Kill the engine and look at the card board and see where to oil may be coming from.

Even when Clean, driving will blow the grease back and make it hard to locate the source. Sitting still the fluids should drop straight down.

Herman 

I have an appointment for February 28th to have this trans looked at and repaired as it is very difficult to get underneath this coach as the suspension is right there. 

I will report back as to what is found and how it is repaired. I ordered 2 gallons of the TranSynd tarns fluid from Amazon as they are the lowest priced. This Allison takes 5 gallons total full synthetic transmission fluid and at $13.50 a quart it gets pricey.

Yes, fluid and filter change in an Allison 3000 transmission takes 19 quarts.  Most economic way to go is a 5 gallon pail of Transynd.  That leaves you 1 quart left over.

24 minutes ago, rcieslak67 said:

I was told this trans takes 5 gallons, seems like a lot.

If you want to know what your Allison takes you can go to MY ALLISON with your serial number and you can verify all the information. You can find the part numbers for the filter kit and much more about your transmission. I would bet a cold beverage it takes 19 quarts. Buying in the 5 gal pail is lots cheaper than by the quart.

www.allisontransmission.com/my-allison/customer

Bill

I can tell you this - mine looked somewhat like yours does and it was NOT the transmission leaking at all.

The hydraulic fan motor was leaking and spread oil all around the engine and transmission area making it look like they were leaking.

Took a long time to figure out what was going on but after changing out the fan motor now everything is dry and nothing looks like it's leaking like yours does.

So I know it's somewhat hard to get under the RV but I would look with a flashlight and see if any hoses and other areas look wet too.  IF it's only the transmission that looks wet then maybe it is coming from there but if other areas are wet it might be something else.   Put a old pan or plate or small bucket under the Transmission and see if it's indeed leaking and report back.

I did all my own work as I couldn't afford the shop rates that most places charge. 

I see your from MI and now in FL - me too.