Sign in to follow this  
Rewillia

Seeking Recommendations: Liquid Chemical Cleaners

FMCA Community Members,

I'm seeking recommendations for what others here feel is the best liquid chemical treatment product(s) to use for periodic treatment of their sewage tank (i.e. black water). My coach is equipped with both Dometic macerator toilets and a Thetford Sanicon system therefore, the use of dissolving tablet type treatment pods is not recommended. 

Rick,  I got the same system as you do.  I use Calgon and CLR (keeps system including bowl clean)!  If you get any odors in coach, it's from gray tank not black! :)  

Carl, I knew I could rely on you for good advice. Please clarify what you refer to as being CLR and is there a "ratio" to what you're using? I'm not having an issue at all but feel I need to maintain a practice of periodically treating the system.

I use Calgon, 1/4 cup in a quart of warm water every month on the road.  CLR = Calcium, Lime, Rust remover....1/2 cup straight in bowl, let sit for a couple of hours when camped or as long as possible when your driving before flushing.  Every 3 months! 

China bowels are a pain to keep clean, especially the macerator kind...I hate them!

In my previous life, 2009-2017 I used 1 drop in tab and 2 cap-fulls of Calgon Water Softener after every dump.  I didn't use the Calgon the several months or so but when I started using it I noticed a significant difference in how long it took to back-flush for clear looking water.

I have been doing the same with the newer 2015 with the Thetford macerator toilets and now I'm concerned about the statement to not use the drop-in packets.  Fortunately I have been dissolving them before flushing.  So what is the concern with the biodegradable drop-in tablets?

4 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

In my previous life, 2009-2017 I used 1 drop in tab and 2 cap-fulls of Calgon Water Softener after every dump.  I didn't use the Calgon the several months or so but when I started using it I noticed a significant difference in how long it took to back-flush for clear looking water.

I have been doing the same with the newer 2015 with the Thetford macerator toilets and now I'm concerned about the statement to not use the drop-in packets.  Fortunately I have been dissolving them before flushing.  So what is the concern with the biodegradable drop-in tablets?

The advice from Newmar Corp is to avoid using holding tank capsules (which was further confirmed to include dissolving pods).

macerator.jpg

My thought would be that they are concerned that there may be a chemical that may shorten the life of the working parts of the pump, and possible o-rings in the system.

Maybe I'm not understanding the question, but if the system is operating properly shouldn't there really be no reason for any chemical additives? The odors should be vented up and out through the vents, and as long as there is water in the traps and a bit of water in the toilet over the flush valve there should be no odors inside other than for the second or two during flushing. I've read about some people getting odors inside when driving, but usually that is traced to a poorly positioned roof vent or a P-trap that dried out. Is the reason for the chemicals here to deal with an odor problem or to keep the solids from becoming too solid?

We always have enough liquid in the black tank to ensure a thorough dumping, and we wait until at least half full before emptying the tank. There's usually a bit of liquid left in the tank, and if not we add just a bit to be sure nothing solid sticks to the bottom. We don't rinse the tank unless there is something obviously stuck to the sides (our tank is translucent so we can sort of see into it, at least enough to see heavy shadows). Basically, we don't stress over trying to keep the tank cleaner than necessary and it's just never been a problem for us. Maybe this is one more advantage to having a combined black/gray tank?

15 hours ago, manholt said:

China bowels are a pain to keep clean, especially the macerator kind...I hate them

Carl, I prefer china over the plastic ones 8 out of every 7 days in a week.:rolleyes: Richard, I have never had a problem either, although I do use Carl's option about every three months also.

Rick.

Buffer & Wax?

Kay.  I'll revise that, I like china bowl, just not with macerator built in!  Electronic sensor gets a piece of something on it and you get the red light, then you can't flush, until you use the outside black water back flush, to clear the sensor.  That in a thunder storm and it's raining, like a cow pissing on a flat rock, or it's below freezing and the winds at 20mph, makes you appreciate the foot pedal toilet. :o:rolleyes: A lot.