ispjs

Additional Full Timers Forums/Clubs

When we did our first stint of full timing we gained a ton of information and help from a brand specific forum.  We had a Montana fiver and their owner's forum was packed with information about the brand/model plus a lot of information about full timing.  We also belonged to Good Sams and Passport.

This time around we found a brand specific forum, FMCA, Good Sams, Passport, KOA, and just joined Escapees.  

What else is out there that we may be missing.  We are always looking for ideas and information on CG discounts, dry camping, and other issues related to full timing.  So far the Escapees forum seems to have a ton of information about full timing.

In addition to check to checking out this forum regularly I visit  http://www.irv2.com/forums/ It has a lot of activity and you can almost get any question answered pretty quickly.  irv2 has  many forums for make, model, chassis, full timers, trips planning, etc. You name it they have a forum.     By adding the Escapees you seem to have all the memberships covered.   Escapees is the go to location for full timers.   They have an excellent magazine that has many articles devoted to full timing. 

Thanks matteucci, I was thinking after spending some time on the escapees forum that I had found about the best "melting pot" of full timers around.   I try to check 3 or 4 of the RV forums each morning and find I can learn something I didn't know almost every session.  

We looked at what 1,000 Trail's had to offer in their membership packages a few years ago.  It just wasn't for us at the time.  We wanted to make another short "shake down" run in our new coach so we are currently in their CG up in Clermont FL.  Some friends of ours had a few free nights and were camped up here so we made the run.

Naturally that led me to review all their information again about signing up.  It still seemed a little expensive unless you strictly obligated yourself to constantly stay in their parks and no place else.  Based on what I am seeing being up here in their Clermont facility, no thank you.

There are some positives here.  When I pulled in with my 24' enclosed I already knew that there were no sites either long enough or I could possibly get to hooked up.  They had a parking area with plenty of space to drop my trailer.  However, you had to be skilled with the limited space and even at that if my coach did not have a turning tag I don't think I could have spotted my trailer and dropped it.  They have a restaurant on site which we thought was a plus.  We visited it last night with our friends.  They paid and got their dinner and when it was our turn they informed us they were out of food.    Should have got there around 4pm I guess.

The negatives are many.  You will probably never see another CG with tighter sites, most of which position you door-to-door with a neighbor.  We were next to a Dutch Star and he was faster at putting his awning out so ours had to stay in.   On our other side is a nice young family so there are bicycles and toys thrown all over the place.  The good thing is with all these winding narrow roads and 900 plus sites it is easy to find our spot when returning because we just look for all the junk sitting around.

I suspect many visit this park simply because you can visit attractions in Orlando.  I can't imagine staying here longer than a few days.

If anyone is thinking about 1000T, they should look at getting a Zone Pass for a year and trying it out.  No obligation after that year, first 30 nights free with the dues, then $3.00 after that.  We use them about 50 nights a year (have 2 Zone pass) that covers the west coast.  If you are on the west coast, definitely will pay for itself every year.  

I think TT would only work for a very small group of full timers.  I think on another posting I read someone bought a "used" TT pass that had the free days still on it.  But even so they still paid transfer fees, maintenance, and such.  Anyway they estimated the breakdown was about $20 a day it cost them to camp there.

Based on a TT park we were in recently some of them aren't even worth $20 a day.  But, even if they were all really nice parks with good sites, as full timers we are getting by cheaper than $20.00 a day average. 

When actually traveling cross country we mix in a lot of dry camping.  This month is a stationary month in Alabama.  Current park is $300 a month plus electric, sites are about 120' pull through.  Next month dry camping on Tennessee River but then staying a week at Pigeon Forge (expensive week there).  But then in central Illinois park on a river for $330 a month with electric included.  We will stay there for 2 months.  

We will average $12.00 a day CG fees over the next 4 months is my point.  

Joe S, I think theTTpark you described is one of the better ones. 

barbaraok, Welcome to the forum. I bought a "one year" Zone pass a couple of years ago, they added a second zone as a "bonus". North West Zone includes 9 states 18 campgrounds; 7 states have no campgrounds. Only Oregon and Washington have camp grounds. Saying you have a zone that covers 9 states sounds good but it is actually only 2 states have any campgrounds you can use.

South west zone includes 6 states 18 campgrounds 3 states don’t have a campground and Nevada and Arizona have one each. The one that I stayed at in Arizona was an Encore Property and was one of the better places. We were parked on a big flat parking lot with hookups. It is primarily for snowbirds and is 90-95% permanent park model type structures.  I will say this it was one of the only places that had a readymade package of information about the area and some coupons for local attractions.

Just be aware there are lots of rules they don't like to talk about when they are trying to sell you. Like, campers who stay at any Thousand Trails campground for more than four consecutive nights must wait at least one week before camping at another resort in the chain. 

Bill