spieg

Spartan Chassis Wheelbase: 2017 Entegra Anthem 42'

I currently have a 2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40' MH and thinking of moving to an 2017 Entegra Anthem 42' with tag axle.  Does anyone have the wheel base measurements on the 42' from the steer wheels to the drive wheels?  My coach has a wheel base of 266" and the only thing listed for the Entegra is the wheel base from the steer wheels to the tag axle at 296".  I called Spartan chassis and they could not tell me the measurement other then to the tag axle. 

The reason this would be important to me is that I can maneuver the 40' around my property but not sure I will be able to with a longer coach unless the wheel base is similar or close to 266" from steer wheels to drive wheels.  Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

spieg,

Welcome to the Forum. Take a tape and measure from the drive axle center to the center of the tag. Then subtract it from the 296" 

I just measured the distance between the two hubs on my coach and it is 44". The tires on my coach are 295/80R-22.5. 

Hope this helps

Herman

1 hour ago, spieg said:

I currently have a 2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40' MH and thinking of moving to an 2017 Entegra Anthem 42' with tag axle.  Does anyone have the wheel base measurements on the 42' from the steer wheels to the drive wheels?  My coach has a wheel base of 266" and the only thing listed for the Entegra is the wheel base from the steer wheels to the tag axle at 296".  I called Spartan chassis and they could not tell me the measurement other then to the tag axle. 

The reason this would be important to me is that I can maneuver the 40' around my property but not sure I will be able to with a longer coach unless the wheel base is similar or close to 266" from steer wheels to drive wheels.  Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

You also need to check the turning radius between the two coaches.

Yes, CUT-ANGLE as well as WHEELBASE determine turning radius. Of course overhang must also be considered if obstructions are taller than a low curb.

The 42' coach I am interested in is not local so unable to measure the difference from rear drive wheel hub center to tag hub center.  My guess is that the distance is fairly standard depending on tire size.  I guess the term "cut angle" refers to the path the rear tires follow relative to the steering angle of the front tires.  I know I have clearance around trees with my 40' coach with a wheel base of 266".  If the new coach has a similar wheel base from steer tires to drive tires, it would seem to me that it would make the same turns providing the front wheels are turned the same degree regardless of the tag wheels.

Cut angle refers to how many degrees to either side of straight ahead the front wheels can turn.  Older coaches had cut angles in the med 40 degrees.  Some newer ones have 55 degree cut angle.  BIG difference in turning radius!

Some of the tag axels are also steerable, this feature makes for even shorter turns. Also Spartan chassis normally has a shorter turn radius than most others. Spartan makes the largest number of fire truck chassis that are produced in the USA, and in a lot of cases uses the same technology in their coach chassis. Hers is the spec sheet for that chassis http://www.spartanmotors.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/2017-Entegra-Anthem-Spec-Sheet.pdf

55 degree turn radius is pretty good, in my opinion.

I can see where a steerable tag would change things while driving, but am surprised it would change turning radius compared with liftable tag.

Compared with non-lifting tag-- certainly understand.

Brett, I agree, most that I have driven usually have the shorter turn radius because of less drag while turning. The steering radius of course is designed that way, not really because of the fact that the tag is steerable makes it that way on it's own,  just the design by the engineers for their many reasons.

My coach has the liftable tag with a 45 degree turn radius, I can hardly tell any difference tag up or down for turns other than when I am on turf, I can certainly see the scuff marks from the tags. According the driver manual for my coach, the tag lift is mostly to be used when I need more traction, and I do use it in some campgrounds to keep from causing damage to the pavement.

Here is the link to the steering specs on your Tiffin chassis https://www.fcccrv.com/chassis/xc/front-suspension/ it is also 55 degree, so with this info you will know that the steering radius is equal for comparrison purposes. Have you tried to locate the same model Entegra coach near you that you can look at and maybe drive, or have the owner demonstrate it to you?

The answer to any wheelbase questions depends upon who you ask.  American Coach measures from the front axle to half way between the dually wheel axle and the tag axle.  Freightliner says the wheelbase IS (no doubt in their mind) between the front axle and the dually axle.  From reading the earlier posts so far it appears Spartan and Entegra both also have different interpretations of "wheel base."  To make an apples to apples comparison, you'll have to find out which measurement that particular model uses.

A steerable tag advertises a considerable decease in turning radius.  I find that hard to believe.  At a GW of 49k, I think my two tag wheels are going to go where the two sets of duallies wheels take them...especially with the weight taken off of them in the turn by the "Tag Dump" switch.  As for turning radius, my coach has a 60 degree "steering angle."

9 hours ago, FIVE said:

American Coach measures from the front axle to half way between the dually wheel axle and the tag axle.

If the engineer that designs the chassis is worth his salt, this is where the pivot point should be. Not always so, because of the design, but halfway between is the best place to put the pivot point, if designed this way, it takes half the drag off of the tag assembly at maximum turn radius, which in turn helps to relieve undue stress on the tag assembly, which is the major cause of those breaks that happen in some tag assemblies

Thanks for the input.  I am waiting for a call back from a dealer that has the model I am interested in and then will hopefully have the numbers I need.  I will also visit a local Camping World that has a few coaches that I will check out with tape in hand.  Also, I have not driven a coach with a tag axle so hoping to do that as well.

2 hours ago, kaypsmith said:

If the engineer that designs the chassis is worth his salt, this is where the pivot point should be. Not always so, because of the design, but halfway between is the best place to put the pivot point, if designed this way, it takes half the drag off of the tag assembly at maximum turn radius, which in turn helps to relieve undue stress on the tag assembly, which is the major cause of those breaks that happen in some tag assemblies

I can't speak for anybody else, but in a turn, I use the "Tag Dump" switch that removes the weight from the tag.  So the pivot point will be the dually wheels with the tag wheels dragging.