f438921

05 Monaco Dynasty 42ft: Aqua Hot Travelling In -20 F

We are living in Canada and travelling to Arizona and the weather here is -20 -  -25 F and was wondering if I can put fresh water in and travel without any freezing problems as long as the aqua hot is on in the basement. We have zone 1 for front, zone 2 for rear and a basement zone. I put a thermometer beside the fresh water tank after the aqua hot was on overnight and the temp was 50 F and the outside temp was 28 F . I'm thinking I'm ok but would feel better hearing from someone who has done this.

Herman.  He has to go thru the nasty -30/40 that we had all January...I would wait to -20 myself. :D

F438921.  You will be fine!  Enjoy the warmth in AZ. :)

When really cold, I found the AH will not keep it real warm on the road with out turning the burner on.  Yes, the engine is making hot water, but it can't over come the very cold outside temps.  Another alternative is to run the generator and turn on a couple of portable heaters and the floor heat....if you have it.

Herman I agree with you 100% lol. Now if I'm driving should I have the aqua hot off and let the engine do the heating and then turn it on when I am stopped overnight? Am I wasting fuel if they are both on or will it help keep it warmer? Will my 4 batteries keep the aqua hot and fans running overnight for say 8 hours in the cold?

F438921...when going down the road, if not very very cold, leave the AH off, but call for heat from your thermostat.  The engine heated coolant will run the AH without burning any diesel.  When stopping for the night, and have power, your AH will run as long as you need it.  Don't know how long it will run if you are running off batteries.

AH electric will run overnight on inverter (batteries), but like the AC heat pump, it will start blowing cold air at about 38 outside ambient.  If you just turn it on for hot water and not the furnace, then as long as you have fuel to run the generator to charge batteries...that's the expensive way.  If you are in -20 you need to use the diesel side of the AH.  draws very little elect.

Ok thats good to know I can turn the AH off when driving. I probably wont have a spot to plug in at night so I will run the AH on diesel. FYI I ran the AH today for 9 hours with the temp set at 65 F inside with only the front zone and basement on and the temp outside was 0 F and it was still going strong just on the batteries. 

That's okay because your batteries are being charged by the engine when driving....at least mine are.

Just wandering if anyone can tell me how to determine if the Aqu-Hot fan on one of my units is bad? I checked continuity through the switch. On the back of the on/off switch both wires are red. I don't know how to test for 12 volts at the switch? Where would I ground the volt meter? Thanks in advance.

RobLong.  Welcome to the Forum!

You only have one AH and a fan to each zone, if your on the Furnace side...? What switch are you asking about?  I have 2 rocker switches, 1 for electric and 1 for diesel.

Rob, you will need to access the rear of the  fans. Usually there are two per heat exchanger. They look like computer fans each fan is independent of the other, just share the same wiring coming in. Once behind it use your volt meter to check for power. As mentioned just make sure you are set to on for that specific zone. 

What year make and model coach do you have? Mine is separate from the roof top heat/A/C controls with three individual thermostats and a separate switch for heated floor.