jimlabry

2004 Tiffin Phaeton Coolant Issue

I recently purchased a 2004 Tiffin 40ft Phaeton. I received a low coolant alarm, filled coolant reservoir with 1.5 gallons of coolant. several hours late noticed coolant on the ground at the front end of the coach. Did i just overfill the reservoir?  

Jimlabry,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

In a word, NO. The coolant system is closed in the front of the coach, so you need to find the leak.  Start with the dash heater core and hoses into it.

If you can access the very front of your coach (from the front if your coach "nose" opens), it should be on the passenger's side.

Or look up from where the drip hits the ground as another starting point.

Jim,

You are fortunate that you are seeing the coolant puddling on the underside of your coach and not on the floor or carpet inside. 

Can you determine if it is leaking only when the coach is warm and there is pressure on the system or is it present with or without (when unit is cool)? Hope you are able to trace it down to a clamp that only need tightening.

Herman  

As said, you should be able to find the heater core and hoses on the passenger side of the front of the coach. If you determine the heater core itself is leaking, just disconnect both hoses and put a piece of piping between them for a bypass. Chances are you’ll find a leak at the connections or a chaffed hose. I would suspect that if the core was leaking you would see fluid in the coach or at the very least, smell it.