f438921

05 Monaco Dynasty Hydraulic Fluid Cooler Blown

Well we are almost ready to leave for Arizona and I ran the aqua hot to warm up the engine  to 70 F and then started it at -15 F and it was a little hard to start but it did and then a red stop light came on and I went to check to see what happened and the hydraulic oil cooler blew and shot oil everywhere . So I too the cooler out and took  it to the rad shop and they said a guy with a MonacO was just in there the other day with exactly the same problem.  I changed the fluid about 8000 miles ago and it called for Dex 3 ATF  but I was thinking of changing it over to full synthetic ATF so this doesn't happen again and I know I shouldn't be leaving in this temp but I'm freezing my can off and need to get out of here. Also where can I buy a new one to have on hand?

JDMtIORbSOC9J+kMyg24xA.jpg

+GIGYqKpR4aTGy6MctJbAQ.jpg

SNWZQ9dTRqWmAMO2CUv23w.jpg

F438921.

Would you explain what information you need.    

Carl

Edited by hermanmullins
Demeaning to the OP.

3 hours ago, manholt said:

F438921.

Would you explain what information you need.    

Carl

I want to know if its ok to use full synthetic ATF instead of regular Dex 3 ?

2nd Bill's recommendation above. Call Source, they will be able to answer your question regarding the fluid change and cooler availability. I changed ours over to full synthetic but ours is a few years older and I know quite a bit was changed between 02 and 05.

9 hours ago, F438921 said:

I want to know if its ok to use full synthetic ATF instead of regular Dex 3 ?

F438921,

As Bill said Source Engineering is a good source for a replacement Cooler. They are a bit expensive but one of the best around.

(Side Note: your yard looks like an NCIS Crime scene.) 

Herman

Yes, you will want to check with Monaco for options for the hydraulic fluid, as you said this is the hydraulic system cooler, not transmission cooler.

While the system in empty, be sure to change the hydraulic filter(s).

Curious, did it blow out or Rot out? That's an awful high amount of road salt build up on the body, that stuff on the roadways today is very harmful to metals. I would ask the shop for a root cause.

2 hours ago, jleamont said:

Curious, did it blow out or Rot out? That's an awful high amount of road salt build up on the body, that stuff on the roadways today is very harmful to metals. I would ask the shop for a root cause.

No it just blew out from extreme cold and pressure

I did talk to Source and it is $1,500. - $2,000. to make a new cooler for me. I did call Monaco about the use of full synthetic ATF and the guy there said it shouldn't make any difference if I use Synthetic fluid, so I did and changed the hydraulic filter as well. I was looking in the manual for fluid capacity and in fine print it said (if using in sub zero temperatures to change hydraulic fluid to arctic blue fluid or it may cause oil cooler damage. I couldn't find any such fluid anywhere so I just used the full synthetic ATF and all is well with the repaired cooler.