ispjs

Bad Loves Fuel Stop

When we got our first MH it was a gasser.  Coming from a fiver one of the things I missed the most was fueling in truck lanes at truck stops.  We generally liked Flying J and Pilot but would use a Loves once and awhile.

Yesterday I stopped at a Loves to top off and run across the scales.  I had the DW run inside with a CC since the pumps in the truck diesel lane wouldn't take it, plus I knew as soon as I was fueled up I wanted to pull around and get on the scale.  

When all was said and done the DW came out and we took off.  When she looked at the receipt closer to record our mileage and gallons used she discovered that the clerk had simply provided a receipt for a $150.00 hold on our credit card!  No gallons, no exact amount, nothing.  

I'm going to have to be running out of fuel before I ever visit another Loves again.   She told me what the conversation was when she initially went inside.  He wanted to know the amount we were going to pump.  She told him probably around 50 gallons.  He said he needed an amount.  She told him she wasn't sure the price per gallon and asked him if he could just figure an amount for around 50 gallons since we wanted to top off.  He must have thought that was too much effort and just ran the $150.00.

Joe, one quick way to get the information would be to wait till you get your CC Statement and disput the charge. Make them explain the complete transaction. Who knows they may just drop the complete ticket. 

I do not use Love's, not because of their service but because their fuel is some of the highest on the road.

Happy travels.

Herman

It's been my experience at truck stops like the OP described that the clerk will run the credit card for an amount that will cover what you expect to pump, then after you finish pumping,you go back to the clerk and they will delete the old charge and add the exact amount to your CC.  Maybe your DW didn't know this and didn't go back to the clerk after you finished pumping, or the clerk just made a mistake. All the more reason to look at a receipt before leaving the counter.

nctox.  I do the same, except I tell them to run $300, most times it's around $250 and I go in for receipt.

Herman.  Found that to be 100% of the time.

Our local Petro will run the card (before fill up) for whatever you estimate your fill up will cost; this places the hold on the account, and when you reach that amount, the pump shuts off. If you don’t reach the preset amount, you are only charged for what you pumped—whether or not you go back in to get an accurate receipt. 

I, too was skeptical about this when we first got our diesel, but checking my credit card balance verified that it really works this way. By the way, I avoid using a debit card for these kinds of transactions, since I like the ability to dispute a charge with the credit card company in the event something goes sideways....

Like Herman, I usually avoid Love’s because their prices tend to be higher.

...Now it’s time to go out and move some snow here in eastern Will County...😏

—Tim C.

I try to avoid Love's for the reason stated by the OP.  However I will wager that he will find his CC account will be charged what they put in the tank. Once the pump is closed it is automatic. Many people don't go back in for a receipt.

I have the PFJ card. Drive up to the pump, run the card, pump the diesel, get in and drive away.  Love it!

I have began to use "QT". Thay have a number of Truck Pumps. I got what they call "PUMP START" card. You just swipe the card and you can fill as much as you need. However you still must go inside to pay. (They have great snacks and drinks)

Herman

Herman, where does one get a card like this?

I avoid Loves since I got bad fuel from one, and yesterday one of my trucks at work filled up with a blend of fuel 50% water and 50% diesel.

I run the GS pilot FJ card for the same reason mentioned above, easy in and out, very rarely do you find a truck pump that will accept a regular credit card. 

FMCA needs a card that will turn on pumps and has a credit limit so fuel can be charged, this would be a huge benefit for members as fueling is a regular occurrence and can be a frustrating challenge. Honestly if it didn't give a discount Id still be all for it! I don't like my DW going inside, especially at truck lanes, driver quality is low now a days and the likely hood of her being struck by someone not paying attention is high.

I also have a credit card from Pilot/FJ using the GS program that I use to fuel, but I have to bring it inside to get them to turn the pumps on. They don't charge anything until I'm done fueling, but not being able to pay at the pump is a bit of a nuisance.

Would be nice to have a similar program through FMCA so I can get rid of the GS card.

3 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

I have began to use "OT". Thay have a number of Truck Pumps. I got what they call "PUMP START" card. You just swipe the card and you can fill as much as you need. However you still must go inside to pay. (They have great snacks and drinks)

Herman

What is OT ?

Bill

33 minutes ago, richard5933 said:

I also have a credit card from Pilot/FJ using the GS program that I use to fuel, but I have to bring it inside to get them to turn the pumps on. They don't charge anything until I'm done fueling, but not being able to pay at the pump is a bit of a nuisance.

Would be nice to have a similar program through FMCA so I can get rid of the GS card.

I think you have the loyalty card, Richard. I and what Wayne and Joe have is actually a charge card not a credit card. I pay the balance at the end of the month. I swipe the card, enter my PIN number, fuel up, obtain receipt at the pump and drive off. 

If any of the FMCA honchos are reading this, it would be a nice benefit except I'm not sure who you could get it with - TA, Petro, Loves?

If you are not familiar with "QT" it is the acrunim for Quick Trip. I beleive they started in Oklahoma. If you pass one and need diesel you can go tthrough their truck lane. You will need to either sign up in the truck area or possiably on line. It is not a CC but will allow you to pump all you want, pull forward and then go in and pay. I also Have the Pilot/Flying J rewards card. It is a credit card that can be used at all Pilot Flying Js. Ido not know if you can purchase food or snacks on the card.

Herman

2 hours ago, elkhartjim said:

I think you have the loyalty card, Richard. I and what Wayne and Joe have is actually a charge card not a credit card. I pay the balance at the end of the month. I swipe the card, enter my PIN number, fuel up, obtain receipt at the pump and drive off. 

If any of the FMCA honchos are reading this, it would be a nice benefit except I'm not sure who you could get it with - TA, Petro, Loves?

Credit card, charge card, whatever you want to call it. I think technically you are correct calling it a charge card in that they don't allow a balance to carry from month to month. It's not a loyalty card and it is used to pay for the fuel being pumped. They do the billing and the full amount is paid at the end of each month. I also have a separate loyalty card which is not much use since the card I'm using to pay automatically gives me the discount from GS. Usually I can't swipe and pay at the pump though, so I'll have to check and see what needs to be addressed to make that work.

Sorry, Richard. I was going by your comment you had to take the card in for pump start was the only reason for my statement. If you have the charge card and a PIN number you should be able to start the pump without going inside.

4 minutes ago, elkhartjim said:

Sorry, Richard. I was going by your comment you had to take the card in for pump start was the only reason for my statement. If you have the charge card and a PIN number you should be able to start the pump without going inside.

Maybe it's the PIN number I'm missing. Don't think I ever got one of those, so I'll have to call and see what they say. Thanks for the heads up.

I have the Pilot/FlyingJ GS card also, works great for me, insert card, put in control #, and pay at the end of the month.  As for the OP about Love's, I quit using them about 4 years ago because of me limping into one that has a mechanic on duty 24/7. I thought at the time that I had a clogged fuel filter. I asked if the mechanic could replace it for me. Reply was we are not allowed to work on Busses or motorhomes. I told them ok, can you look to see if you  have a replacement in stock, no, we don't do anything to a bus or motorhome. I limped along on the busy freeway 17 miles to the nearest Petro, they gladly replaced it for me at a very reasonable rate, and of course I purchased a spare from them for any future emergency. Oh yes Herman, your first comment referred to an "OT" card, not a "QT", no wonder so much confusion. :P

2 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

If you are not familiar with "QT" it is the acrunim for Quick Trip. I beleive they started in Oklahoma. If you pass one and need diesel you can go tthrough their truck lane. You will need to either sign up in the truck area or possiably on line. It is not a CC but will allow you to pump all you want, pull forward and then go in and pay. I also Have the Pilot/Flying J rewards card. It is a credit card that can be used at all Pilot Flying Js. Ido not know if you can purchase food or snacks on the card.

Herman

Ok I know QT but didn't recognize OT.:rolleyes:  

I thought it might be something new like Fuel City or Buc-ee's. 

Bill

Flying J, some of them take your cards but only 75.00 and use their discount card sometimes get the discount. I'm not sure they do that this year. they are trying to pressure into using their credit card. Half the time pumps won't take the cards and have to go inside, wife does this, and they hod it until you stop the pumps and charge the card. Won't leave the card nor tel them how much we need and let them charge the card. In La, I think did that and they held 200.00 over charge for over two weeks.

Some Loves will take your cards at the pump , in semi lanes but one ran a RVer out of the semi lanes   and to use the pumps out front with cars. Over 40 ft plus toad and lots of traffic and of course he couldn't. I have forgotten his name.

We usually travel the same major routes and have learned where to get better prices and even fill up and go and pay and get cash price with debit card.

Consistency in policies in Flying Js, Loves and others whose names escape me at the moment, doesn't exist.

I was stewing so much about this stupid receipt from Loves that I called the manager of that facility yesterday.  I provided him the information from the "hold" receipt and it only took him about 30 seconds to pull up my actual pump receipt.  He gave me all the details of the transaction and asked me if I wanted him to email the actual receipt that will be charged.  We then had a conversation about how to avoid this in the future.  

He hinted around that the clerk should have given my DW a second receipt showing all the actual transaction information.  He gave me the general information on some type of loyality Loves card also.  He also said if an RVer called Loves corporate offices it "may" be possible to obtain a business type credit account so you could do all transactions at the pump and not come inside.

I agree about most interstate truck stops being higher priced on fuel.   When I fueled that day Loves was 3.13, the closest Pilot was 3.09, and most of the city stations with diesel, which I could not have used anyway, were anywhere from 2.95 to 2.99.   We always stuck with Flying J's and Pilot's before due to using our card/PIN at the pump to get things started.  On the diesel truck lane side you will have to go inside to get the final receipt but so do 90% of the truckers, and I never minded that part of it.  You usually always have a place to park if you want to take a break, assuming that is you can back your rig up.   

IMHO, least expensive is not always the best. I have seen prices at some locations up to $0.15 lower than the surrounding stations. And they may have good diesel. But if they do not heavy Truck traffic then their fuel may not be the best (water and Crud). I try to go to the station with the biggest trafic, fresh diesel.

Herman

9 hours ago, timetraveler said:

... semi lanes but one ran a RVer out of the semi lanes   and to use the pumps out front with cars. Over 40 ft plus toad and lots of traffic and of course he couldn't. I have forgotten his name.

We have traveled extensively in 46 of the 48 contiguous States, both in the 40' and now it the 43' MH and we have never been refused service in the truck lanes.

As for the $75 dollar rule, that is the normal at all fuel stations using the "car" lanes and it is the service station policy and not the credit card company(ies).  There is no such rule at the truck pumps.

$75 no such rule in truck lane.

Beg to differ, Strips $75, Pilot $150, Loves $100, Flying J $150, T/A $150 and Shell $50...all truck stops!  I generally average 82 gallons, but have done over 100 on many occasions!

One other thing, your Credit Card may have a limit on fuel at the pump. I have needed to fill up and have run $100.00. Then recycle the pump and pump another $100.00 and still needed more. But the Credit card will not let me go again. It is the limit set by my card and not the station. 

It hasn't done that lately, most of the times I went through that was when fuel was over $3.00 per Gallon.

Herman

If I use a regular credit card at nearly all of the truck stops, I have to restart the pump at $75.00, and that can only happen twice without using a different card, but when using the FlyingJ card, of course only at FlyingJ/Pilot truck stops, I have pumped as much as $310.00 without having to restart. I'm sure that those numbers change on regular cards at many different places, but the FJ has been consistant so far in 8 different states.  Also the FJ stops so far will allow me to pump out front or at the truck lanes with no hassle. Not a plug for FJ/Pilot, just facts for me.