ispjs

Bad Loves Fuel Stop

11 hours ago, manholt said:

Beg to differ, Strips $75, Pilot $150, Loves $100, Flying J $150, T/A $150 and Shell $50...all truck stops!  I generally average 82 gallons, but have done over 100 on many occasions!

You may be referring to truck stops, but not true in truck lanes at those truck stops.

12 hours ago, manholt said:

Beg to differ, Strips $75, Pilot $150, Loves $100, Flying J $150, T/A $150 and Shell $50...all truck stops!  I generally average 82 gallons, but have done over 100 on many occasions!

I have never run into that problem at any of the truck stops.  However, those were the truck stops that one had to go in, leave card, go out pump fuel, go back in, get receipt, go out, travel.

Loves - go in and tell them $300 and pump $300.

12 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

One other thing, your Credit Card may have a limit on fuel at the pump. I have needed to fill up and have run $100.00. Then recycle the pump and pump another $100.00 and still needed more. But the Credit card will not let me go again. It is the limit set by my card and not the station. 

It hasn't done that lately, most of the times I went through that was when fuel was over $3.00 per Gallon.

Herman

I called our CC company and they said they have no rules on fuel purchases and that the card can be used up to the limit it is set for.

Call you CC, just 'cause I'd like to know.  I use Visa.

You'll may be correct. When I was on the road in my job and price of gas was up in the $3.50 to $3.75 range some places were $100 and some $75.00 cut offs. It just may have been the stations.

Herman

Back to the OP's  complaining about Loves. Once you know how they work it is pretty simple. Getting a card is more of a problem than I want for the few times I use them in a year. 

The place that bugs me with limits is Kroger and only allowing 35 gal when redeeming fuel  points. :P

Bill

Herman, we tell our credit card company we are traveling and will make large fuel purchases. several years ago in Oregon i restarted 5 times. fuel was over $5.

My experience fueling at truck stops and in the truck lanes is the only pay at the pump program that works for me is  the Pilot/Flying J charge card. All others my wife will go in and authorize x dollars on the cc. When I finish fueling I text her the dollar amount and she verifies with a receipt the amount charged. She hates to go inside where some of the truckers are less than courteous and I don't like that she has to do it. 

Looking at the info Wayne published on the Loves card, I'm not sure I would want it if I even qualified. 

My credit card processor verified years ago the merchant sets the credit limit on each sale. 

I had an attendant at a Petro truck stop ask me once how much fuel I was going to pump. Of course I had no idea. Told her that I'd let her know as soon as I was done pumping. Surely you can see how this conversation went. She wanted to have me pre pay and I wanted to pay only for what I pumped. Finally I asked if I left my license with her would she just turn on the pump. She agreed, I pumped, then I returned to pay for tab and pick up my license. I'm sure that all these truck stops have been burned more than a few times by truckers and other drivers not paying, so I don't blame them for being careful. That said, it sure is a pain in the @$$ to have to go back and forth.

Jim and Rich, you just described every trip we have been on. My DW hates going inside and we will often text back and forth just as mentioned above. That is the main reason I scout out Pilots and Flying J locations and use my Good Sam card. 

You might not know but those truck pumps can be a problem for a regular credit card. I tried to swipe my credit card at a Petro, the pump displayed it accepted credit cards but the key pad had the entire alphabet and numbers. I was suspicious but did it anyway, low and behold my cell phone rang within a minute, it was Capitol one, when swiped it locked up my card, they were calling to see what was going on and thought someone copied my magnetic strip as it came through in a different format. I didn't want the details as I was trying to get fuel....but lessons learned. 

I also have a Capital One card, Joe. They are excellent at keeping a watch on my credit card. I have it set up that I am notified by text of every charge of $1.00 or more. This is also useful in the restaurant where a sever disappears with your card. I'm notified of the transaction before they return to the table. 

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 8:47 AM, wolfe10 said:

Joe,

So, the actual charge was correct?

Yes Brett, they had the correct amount and gallons that was reflected on the pump.  

Skimmers are huge recently in SW Florida.  I think the news said the other night that just in Cape Coral alone since the first of the year they have found over a dozen.  

Yesterday we needed gas in both the car and bike.  Had a $100 rewards Shell card so I went to the closest Shell station and filled up the Mini Cooper.  Later that afternoon I was in a different part of town and stopped at another Shell station on motorcycle.  $100 rewards card declined.  Went inside and they said the system was only taking regular credit cards.  I only pumped $2.00 so on the way back through town I could try another Shell to use the rewards card.

Ended up back at the same Shell station where I had filled up my car that morning.  Shell rewards card refused at pump outside.  Cancelled transaction and put my Shell card in, it was also refused.  I went inside and they said all credit cards were being refused except debit.

Now how goofy is all of this?  Was Shell having computer issues throughout the area?  Was my regular Shell credit card refused the second time I used it because of a previous $2.00 fuel charge?  Not sure what happened but by the end of the day I was about as happy with Shell as I was with Loves.

Joe S.  I ran into that at Shell in AZ last Winter for FMCA at chandler.  Was told that all Shell stations only excepted debit cards with chip!  We limped into Casa Grande Pilot.  Linda took 81+ gallons on a 100 gallon tank, I took 112 gallons!  We have not used Shell since.  We have heard that it's the same thing nation wide.

I always go in and have them run $300-$400 on my card as credit...it's a Visa Credit/Debit card (I don't do pin numbers).  Pump my fuel, go back in get my receipt for gallons pumped and price.  I really don't mind it, you got to keep circulation moving & it's generally every other day when on the road, when Linda is in my rig, then it's 3 days between. 

Since my Visa has no limit, I only call them before a large purchase...like 2 R/T, first class tickets to Norway. :lol:

I am kind of surprised you still have a card with no chip. The chip is for added security and  as cards age out and are replaced with new cards with chips. 

I had a interesting deal with a Shell station in Northern New York. We had just crossed back from Canada and needed fuel pretty bad. The station was an older place but had separate diesel pumps so easy in and out. The issue is there was a small notice on the pump that the diesel was not a Shell product. 

Bill

As an RV owner I frequently estimate my fuel needs and pay cash at the fuel desk.I have to hurry to the pump before it times out. I usually get a discount for cash. I never had a problem when fueling as a Trucker.  Swipe my fuel card along with my rewards card and the pump is on.Could usually go in, find my receipt on a carousel , remove it, and leave without talking  to any one or waiting in line. Do miss that convenience, but I will deal with it. After all, I don't use anywhere near the amount I did in an 18 wheeler.

WBill.  Was that "No Chip", meant for me?  My Visa has a chip!  the charges are paid almost instantly out of my cash account...CMA Card.  I cut up my AE black card a long time ago!

4 hours ago, manholt said:

WBill.  Was that "No Chip", meant for me?  My Visa has a chip!  the charges are paid almost instantly out of my cash account...CMA Card.  I cut up my AE black card a long time ago!

Well you did imply you didn't have a chip. "Was told that all Shell stations only excepted debit cards with chip!"

Bill