pfaltzd1

Cummins Diesel Warranty

I am looking for someone who has been able to get warranty support from Cummins home office. 

I had my claim denied by regional rep even though I was in  my 100k 5yr warranty  period.

I had my annual services done by local Freightliner for 3 of 4 services.  The other one was done by Freightliner in GAFFNEY SC.

All services showed no problems. 

Need someone to talk to at home office who deals with motorhomes. 

I have a 2013 Itasca Ellipse. 

pfaltzd1,

Sorry, but could you explain a bit more what the issue is that they are denying.  The two words you used, cavitation or electrolysis are word I have used in the boating industry, and I know that isn't what you mean.

Herman

Same principle as boating. Bubbles causing holes in cylinder liners.  This typically happens at much higher mileage, not 54k. very unusual since last service was in Sep 17 and no indication. and problem showed up 200 miles later.

Yes, I would be curious what the SCA levels were. I may be mistaken but Cummins requires it be checked frequently. I check ours several times a year and kept levels within the required levels. I kept receipts of the additive and photos of the test strips.

In random conversations in our travels, I was surprised how many owners do not know that have to check the levels.

Definitely sounds like an SCA problem due to maintenance.

How old is the coolant in the engine? Said another way has it ever been changed, SCA's added over the years?

35 minutes ago, jleamont said:

http://www.acustrip.com/sca.html

Here is an explanation of how critical this is on a Diesel

Joe,

I have a 8.3 ISC Cummins in my coach and it doesn't have a coolant filter, do you recommend installing coolant filter? I had the cooling system flushed last year at 50,000 miles and changed to Cummins ESComplete OATS coolant.

I understand you need different test strips to test the SCA for this coolant, if that the case do you have to get it from Cummins.  Cummins NW has closed several of the shops on the I-5 corridor in WA state.

Jim 

Have you talked to the shops that did the routine maintenance on the engine? If they did everything according to the manufacturer's recommendations and you still had problems then something is wrong with the denial. If you paid for them to do the recommended maintenance and the shop neglected to test something or to verify proper coolant in some way, then I'd be pushing to hold them responsible. Poor coolant maintenance can definitely be in play with this type of problem, as can things like using the wrong type of water to dilute coolant, etc.

Difficult to make specific recommendations without knowing specifically what work was done, whether the work was done according to the manufacturer's recommendations and timetable, and without knowing if this particular problem is something that is excluded from your warranty. (There are always types of problems which are specifically excluded from coverage - usually located in the small print at the end of the warranty.)

Had an issue with the shop that has done all of the maintenance on our coach since we have owned it (7 Years). Had the drag line go bad due to lack of lube. The zerk fitting was in a location that was really hard to get to with out turning the wheels. It got neglected. I have great confidence in the shop so I showed them the drag link. They agreed their neglect was partially responsible and gave me 2 Full PM Services to help cover my expense and said they would coulsel the personal on this.  

We all make mistakes, but on a Motor Home they can be costly. :( 

Herman

So this just happened to me at work with a 2011 Cummins ISC 8.3L. 112,000 miles cavatated cylinders, interested this truck only saw Freightliner dealer maintenance for the first 4 years of its life, then moved into our in house shops. We bought it used but I have all of its maintenance records and according to those it was all done properly. Obviously the previous owner paid for services not rendered. Just cost $14,000 to fix it, of course it broke down 300 miles from one of our shops, so I paid another Freightliner dealer to fix it. 

Very, very common today, shops make money on flipping units faster and so do the technicians. I have seen where a shop will dip the coolant, not look at the strip and staple it to their work order. Merely checking the box!

I'm not saying the coach owner needs to be the expert, but they do need to do some routine checks to make certain they got what they paid for and their coach is properly maintained, by their own checks. Dipping coolant is about as simple as it come, but you would have to know how to first.

Our coach is a bit tricky to do so, I poke a hole on the test strip, tie string to it and lower it into the coolant tank, can't reach the level any other way. But it only takes 10 minutes to do it.

17 hours ago, abyrd said:

Joe,

I have a 8.3 ISC Cummins in my coach and it doesn't have a coolant filter, do you recommend installing coolant filter? I had the cooling system flushed last year at 50,000 miles and changed to Cummins ESComplete OATS coolant.

I understand you need different test strips to test the SCA for this coolant, if that the case do you have to get it from Cummins.  Cummins NW has closed several of the shops on the I-5 corridor in WA state.

Jim 

From what I have read on OATS coolant, the testing for SCAs is no longer required. An extender can be added after a certain amount of time.

As far as testing for SCAs, I used a petcock under the MH from a line  that runs to the front heater. Test strips specifically state NOT to use the reservoir for testing. I assume due to contamination of anything floating in the reservoir.

1 hour ago, campcop said:

From what I have read on OATS coolant, the testing for SCAs is no longer required. An extender can be added after a certain amount of time.

As far as testing for SCAs, I used a petcock under the MH from a line  that runs to the front heater. Test strips specifically state NOT to use the reservoir for testing. I assume due to contamination of anything floating in the reservoir.

Depends on what type of reservoir, some are just an overflow and others are live. Haven't seen a Diesel since the 80's that wasn't actually part of the cooling system, I.e. Has a radiator cap on it. 

Keep in mind when reading these bottles they are all written for normal operating conditions and under the assumption that the the engine will operate 80,000 miles per year. In an RV you have to factor time not mileage.