WJS822

Clean and polish aluminum wheels

First thing are your wheels coated or bare? Using an aggressive cleaner will remove the coating and the shine. For bare wheels I like Mouthers polishing ball and cone.

Bill

Worked my rear end off getting mine to shine. Was a lot of hard work. Last time in Perry I had the coach washed and had them do the wheels. They charged me $100.00 to do the wheels, best money I had spent in a long time. Sorry I can't remember the name but I will find them when there next year. All I can remember was he was in a white van and was from Florida.

Herman

Next time you change tires if it is in the cards buy new coated rims. I think they are about 135.00 each for the 22.5 rims for our coach. Don't know the width but tires are 285-75-22.5.

Prices might be out of date at Freightliner and i you buy new one's, don't let them sell you, a bunch of lug nut covers from the barrel.

They have the numbers for the stainless ones that fit and won't fall off and rust first time it rains.

1 hour ago, timetraveler said:

Next time you change tires if it is in the cards buy new coated rims. I think they are about 135.00 each for the 22.5 rims for our coach. Don't know the width but tires are 285-75-22.5.

Prices might be out of date at Freightliner and i you buy new one's, don't let them sell you, a bunch of lug nut covers from the barrel.

They have the numbers for the stainless ones that fit and won't fall off and rust first time it rains.

Please give me the place where I can do that. That is cheaper for new wheels than stainless wheel simulators.

Bill

Mine are coated, wash with water and soap, rinse...done!

Herman.  They are all from Florida.  The wash/wax crew at Six State, Texarkana, was from Florida...same at all FMCA Rally's!! :D

Mine are coated, I hand polish with a non abrasive cream them a few times per year to keep the high luster shine. Here is a before and after and the product that I used.

IMG_3675.JPG

IMG_3676.JPG

IMG_3678.JPG

13 minutes ago, IanBullock said:

jleamont, Nice job!  How long does it take you? 

Takes me about an hour to do all 4 wheels. I picked this product up at Advance Auto Parts. I have seen it at Walmart before. I have to be honest, I went in to pick up a tub of Mothers wheel polish, this was on sale so I grabbed it, turns out it worked better B).

Lucas Slick Mist...6 rims = 30 min., max!  Once a month, rinse at each campground.  If you don't let the grim build up, it's easy to keep clean!  Added benefit, if you see black grease, have your seal looked at ASAP.

As suggested, the first step is to verify exactly what kind of wheels you have.

Are they coated or "natural"/raw.

Their "care and feeding" is completely different.  For example, using an abrasive metal polish is perfect for raw aluminum wheels, but will ruin the finish on coated wheels.

If in doubt, copy down the PN stamped on the wheel and call your wheel manufacturer.

Hi Brett, my rear rims are Alcoa, PN 873402. 

According to what I can find on various web sites, they are "  Polished inside only", not coated.  

Thanks for the tip!

11 minutes ago, IanBullock said:

Hi Brett, my rear rims are Alcoa, PN 873402. 

According to what I can find on various web sites, they are "  Polished inside only", not coated.  

Thanks for the tip!

Ian, the product above is a cream, non abrasive also. Kind of like a face cream, perhaps Manholt can use it on his feet :lol: (sorry another post humor carrying over :lol:).

Should suite your application just fine. Its the abrasive stuff when applied to a coated wheel that will dull it out. If you want to make it easier use a polishing cone to apply it with a cordless drill, buff it off with a towel. 

https://www.amazon.com/Mothers-05146-6-PowerCone-Metal-Polishing/dp/B00BUIODCC

1 hour ago, jleamont said:

Kind of like a face cream, perhaps Manholt can use it on his feet :lol: 

Watch it!:rolleyes: I used to use Blue Magic on the stainless steel on my coach and loved it. I bought it at Petro truck stop, but they quit carrying it when TA bought them out. I'm glad to see that Advance carries it now. I use the green rubbing compound now, I use a mortar and petal to pulverize, then add just enough kerosene to become a paste, this works very well, but do not use this mixture on a coated surface.

On 2/26/2018 at 6:00 PM, WILDEBILL308 said:

Please give me the place where I can do that. That is cheaper for new wheels than stainless wheel simulators.

Bill

Next few days I will stop by the Freightliner Repair Center and get the accurate price.

What I posted was from memory, from several years ago.

Weeeeel...I am probably going to get ragged on this one.

Haven't been to the Dealer but looks like twenty years ago, I should have bought a truck load of them. Looking on the Internet the size I think my steer axe rims are, the Duracoated Alcoa wheels, are $265.00 with many more offered at $309.00. Rears about $429.00 but none of them have the slots like mine. They are round holes. The wider rims are much higher.

All this talk about cleaning and polishing wheels has got me all excited.  Don't know if I can wait another month for spring to arrive.......

:)"All this talk about cleaning and polishing wheels has got me all excited.  Don't know if I can wait another month for spring to arrive"

Amen!, and now that I have found a source for Blue Magic, I'm even more excited, of course here in Bama country, 65 to 80% days already, makes me want to sing hallelujah!