mweiner

How many of you store your rig in a temperature controlled environment?

Do you pay for indoor storage?  Is this necessary? 

Depending upon your climate, maybe you pay for indoor storage that is temperature controlled?  And what is the cost per foot do do this?  

Is there security at these storage locations?  Is this 24/7 accessible? 

Does storing your rig reduce overall maintenance?

I'm in a covered/locked 50' x 20' space with power....not temp controlled, for $150/month.  I don't want my coach sitting out in the snow/sleet (that doesn't happen very often), or the 100 heat in the summer.  My building has four spaces, each individually secured and each has an individually locked door.  No guard per se, but one of the  owner's employees lives next to the road that leads to my storage as well a 120 indoor boat storage facility.  The entire facility is locked with 24/7 access.  It's owned by a boat dealer.

Currently, in a 100' x 45' Pole Barn on 50A....in Fall it will be a 70' x 40' Climate controlled barn for both coaches and toads, with full hook ups!  Drive thru. :D About 200' from house.

Check out the Storage facility in Rockdale, Texas, owned by Legacy Coach.  There is one coming to California, this year!

NO indoor storage. Place not far from us offering it, no idea what it costs but I won't park our coach where I can't see it and access it. Refrigerator stays on all camping season stocked with the basics and I can be road ready in 15 minutes if need be, also have enough fuel onboard to go 1000 miles without refilling.

I'm a planner, if it couldn't fit here it wouldn't be here! My pad can handle a 75' coach and also has water.

NO maintenance reduction, maybe the wax will wear out faster, who cares, Either way it gets waxed once a year!

Parks at home on a pad made for it with 50amp service along side of the attached garage.

Cant wait to see where this baited post goes :rolleyes:

Why do you think it's a "baited post"...it's NOT...I'm interested in hearing other people's decisions.. RVs are very expensive items... like you I'm fortunate that I can store mine right in front of my house with no security concerns.... other people might not be able to do this regardless of whether they are a Class A, B or C...

We live in a pretty safe neighborhood..of course, anything can happen.. but, after 36 years in the same house... nothing has happened to any of our cars on the driveway.. thank goodness.  Plus, it's always great to have good insurance.

As Jim S. can attest to, it's nice to live in the Country, with acreage!  You don't have to worry about parking...Herman has that also on 10ac.

Mark, your in one of the few areas of CA. that allows RV parking on property or Street...I had to get a special permit from the City of Santa Monica and Brentwood, just to pick my Mom up...forget parking!  That's just drive thru..$$$$ 

Never really thought about it...we have many people who park their rigs right out in front or sometimes on the street... mostly Class B+s or Class C's...my neighbor had a 32 foot Class A... and his driveway was extended, widened and more rectangular than ours.... around here, if it fits on your driveway, it's perfectly fine....

Plus, we have a bright LED floodlight right out in front on 24/7... I'm sure that helps deter people from messing with the two cars or the RV...

It's 2 a.m. and the drive-by conversation goes: "Hey bud, look at that nice MH parked there. I'll bet it has some nice electronics in it."

"Yeah, let's go look inside."

The rest you can imagine.  Another deterrent is an alarm system that makes a lot of noise.

There are a lot of very nice safe neighborhoods in our wonderful country.  Just not safe for when people are just driving through.

Even at campgrounds, it's not the campers I think about, but the drive-through on-lookers that see something they think they want or can sell.

My MH is in a storage facility that has cameras all over the place and they are the very good color quality cameras.  So far so good, but at the far end with nothing but some vacant fields and on a nice evening - perpetrators cut the fence and ransacked several motor homes and stealing TV's and other electronics. 

"It" happens.

Wayne, one reason I avoid state parks, anyone is free to roam around and you will often find people avoiding capture hiding out in a tent. Most private Campgrounds, not so much of an issue.

Wayne.  I moved out and my best friend moved in with his 5'er, he had a cop's coach next to him (used to be next to me).  Yea, they came in thru the back and did a number on a lot of 5'rs and coaches!  Can't remember the year, but it was a facility on Hwy.99 East of I-45...I was there only 3 months, I don't like pole sheds and my 40  foot stuck out 10 feet.  They got 3 RV's belonging to cops that night.

When we are out and about we like to look at the private campgrounds that abound the area.  Typically I will stop at the office and ask if I can ride through. On occasion I just ride through, especially if the office is not "readily" accessible.  Once the CG office is closed, and if there is not gate available, anyone can roam the area looking for goodies.

I don't have "indoor" storage but I do have covered storage with 110v available and used.  I am looking into obtaining a security system that will not only protect it and notify me when it is in storage but when we are in CG's as well.  One that I'm looking into is JAQX.  If anyone has information on any system I would appreciate it.

Having indoor storage would be more secure for a couple reasons. 1., out of sight, out of mind.  2., good quality lock on door.  Indoor storage is also not "really" secure.  With all the hand-held tools available today, battery operated, a door could be made in the flimsy door of the storage unit.  Still, out of sight out of mind is nice.

Highway 646 is the section we are talking about in the Dickinson TX area.  The highway runs from FM 2004, South of Alta Loma, across SH-146 and over to Bayshore DR. San Leon, TX .

The area around I-45 and 646 is heavily built up and continues to grow.

6 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

Highway 646 is the section we are talking about in the Dickinson TX area

good, not the area we are looking to relocate to.