speck

Scary Electrical Problem

After leaving Yuma, on our way to Organ Pipe Cactus NM, we got a smell of something hot or burning, light haze in the kitchen area.  DW jumped up and went back to see what was going on, didn't find any thing and the smokie haze went away.  Got to Organ Pipe and the slide wouldn't go out, figured that the smell was the slide motor.  Looked in the bays under the slide and couldn't see or smell anything.

After staying a few days head to Las Cienegas (BLM) to dry camp.  After there a few days I decided to do a little work on a loose heater duct.  Job completed, then opened the power distribution panel to chase wiring to the slide motor, looking for a fuse that may have blown... found wire on the DC distribution panel with insulation completely melted and burned off is some places.  It was directly wired to the DC, no fuse.  Chased the wire under the refrig, then went outside and opened the Refrig access panel.  Found the wire or what was left of it.  It had gotten against the vent to the refrig burner and melted the insulation, shorted to the vent and burned the wires (both hot and gnd) in half.  Consider my self luck to have a MH after seeing it.

Don't know what went wrong, the dealer I bought the motor home from a year ago rewired the slide switch, then after my first outing I had to have the slide motor replaced by a local repair facility.   Maybe it was just one of those things.  Anyway, Went into Sierra Vista and got new wiring, a fuse and now have it fixed.

Dude ... YALL WERE Blessed, I have been down the road of burning wires - mine were between my legs under the steering column so im glad you found the issue and didnt have a huge problem. Hope you get it fixed soon!

14 minutes ago, hermanmullins said:

Sorry Keon, I couldn't help myself from laughing when I got that picture in my mind. :lol::lol:

Herman

Don't feel bad, I was on the phone with Joe trying to explain to him what was going on needless to say, he did a really good job of waiting till he got off the phone with me to laugh at me

Keon, when you're hot, you're hot!

I also had a chuckle when I read that and just knew where it was going, and fast.

Speck,

You are very very lucky. That could have turned mean real quick.

Did you go buy a lottery ticket?

No but I can tell you one thing, I was halfway out their drivers window before I realize what was going on because I’m a tell you something, my definition of toasted almonds was not that particular experience. 

LMAO!  Almonds? :lol:

Smelling something burning and seeing a haze, is never a good thing in a coach!  Not good in a house either, but your stationary! :rolleyes:

Manholt

I was installing the supplemental braking system because all good motor coach drivers have a supplemental brake system because it's the right thing to do. My system uses a brake controller and inertia to apply the brakes like I guess it would be in one of the bigger trailers. So I should have known that the previous owner was an idiot because his brake controller that was already there was turned the wrong way so it never would have worked at least a proportional side of it. So I get the controller in and trusted his wiring and he wired the brake controller on the hot lead going to the electric brake doohickey instead of the rear tail light wire. When I went to press the button to see if the controller worked I started seeing smoke come from between my legs. Thinking nothing of it I hit it again and I started seeing more smoke and now I'm thinking holy moly Batman!

I immediately pick up the phone and call Joe and without checking and thinking about what I said I blurted out, Joe I got smoke coming from between my legs I **** near burn the coach down

How he kept it in I don't know, maybe he was more concerned about whether or not I was okay but it really sounded like I had the clap after I said it. So after he calmed me down and talk to me through it I'm sure, at least if it were me, I'm almost positive he laughed until he could not stop laughing.

Keep in mind once I got out of the coach I took off running down the street so hard I was kicking my own self in the butt. So my neighbors got a good laugh as well. The moral to the story is be careful what friends you call when you have a burning smell and smoke coming from between your legs because I'm sure if he did not know I was working on the controller he would have probably offered me the name and number of the local Clinic where I could get penicillin cuz it just didn't come out right.

The Magic Smoke must always stay in, the moment you release it nothing works anymore!

Thanks all... HayesFamily my first reaction was WHAT! , then the laughing began... nice to be able to laugh about it...

Yes, I was real lucky and someone was looking over me.  Everything is fixed and working.