Sign in to follow this  
antiquehippies

Lucking Out in Fort Myers Area

My husband and I left NH in Nov.. to go to FL.  We made no reservations and stayed up in Northern FL for 2 months. Our daughter gave us tickets to a Red Sox game so we decided we would go to Fort Myers and stay awhile. We did not realize how hard it is to get reservations...  We did luck out though and found 4 nights at W.P. Franklin Park Campground in Alva and 5 nights at Ortona South Recreation Area. They are both part of the Lock system and we had sites on the water.... with covered picnic tables. Gravel patio with level paved lots. Free hot showers, water and electric for $15.00 a night with our Senior Pass.   Life is good. At Ortona they even have free WIFI in the shower house..    The campgrounds are  clean and quiet...  I am posting the views we had from our sites.

wp franklin.jpg

ortona view.jpg

There are certainly parts of the Caloosahatchee river that can be scenic.  Please do not walk your pet next to those waters or dangle your feet in them unless you want some really good close up shots of large gators coming up out of the water!

Seriously, I'm glad you folks are enjoying SW Florida.  It is crowded this time of year but has a lot to offer.

As Joe S. Said, the waters in Florida is home to Gators, Croc's & Snakes.  I have a lot of photos off big gators, a couple of croc's also.  The Everglades Park Rangers estimate about 1,000 Croc's!   Other than that, enjoy a very scenic State.