fagnaml

Leaking Dometic Toilet Valve

To celebrate our 2018 Valentine's Day, the wife and I traveled to Marble Falls, TX  and the Sunset Point RV Resort to enjoy a long weekend on the Wine Lover's Trail in the Texas Hill Country.  Shortly after getting the motor home "set up", I saw a steady drip from the bottom of the foot valve on my Dometic toilet.  The drip was coming from the "thread area" of the brass cap on the bottom of the valve body.  I saw no leaks from the valve body.   I tightened the brass cap with little effect on the drip.  In my 45 years of being around a travel trailer (my parents to start then my TT then my motorhome) I've never experienced a toilet valve problem.  For our time in the Hill Country we successfully contained the leak in a drip pan. 

Does the forum have any ideas about why the leak is occurring?  Could the problem be a bad o-ring / gasket under the brass cap?   I did not drain / blow-out the valve during the recent sub-freezing weather in the Houston area while the motorhome was in storage. I guess there could be a small freeze-related crack in the brass cap threads area (?).

My Dometic toilet owner's manual only shows the entire valve assembly as a toilet part.    If the entire valve needs replacing, is it a do-it-yourself job?   A photo of the foot valve is attached.  The leak is on the "back side" of the valve and is not visible in the photo.

Thanks for any and all advice the forum can provide!

Toilet Valve.JPG

Mike, my guess is it froze and cracked, but before we jump to that the hose clamp looks loose. Are you sure its coming from that brass portion and not the hose on side, trickling down? Maybe try to snug up the clamp first, if no success pull the valve and see if an o-ring is replaceable, it shouldn't be something beyond what you might find at a hardware store. If no luck try for a replacement valve or upgrade the entire toilet.

The last time I had a leak from the foot valve on my toilet, it was not repairable. Had to replace the toilet. 

Sorry, not very helpful...

Like Jo said tighten the hose clamp and see if it stops leaking. 

I changed my valve out 2 years ago because it was leaking internally. It isn't hard and yours looks to have easy access. When you have it out spray some silica lube where the valve rubes as it will make it work smother.

Bill