rfsod48

Padre Island

Question

What is the typical weather in Padre Island/ South Padre Island towards the end of March? Will the area still be flooded with winter Texans?

Hi Roland.

In a word, YES!  Some start drifting North around the end of March, but the "Great Migration" don't happen until first/second week of April.  Where are you at now?

Phoenix until the 15th of March, then we plan on winding our way down towards Padre. Want to check out area for possible next year.

Try this, Call Texas Trails RV Resort, in Pharr (I would call now) and see if they have a spot. it is fairley centralized to the area and would make a good home base to check out the area.

Texas Trails RV Resort, 501 W Owassa Rd, Pharr, TX 78577, texastrailsrv.com, (956) 782-7886

Bill

Whatever you do Don't go to Mustang Island across from Port Aransas . It cost me over 3000.00 for the windshield on another motorhome because the sites are so close I clipped it trying to leave > Believe me the RV Parks are bad down there

MIchael

Mustang Island State Park is way up the coast and wouldn't be a candidate for spending the winter.B) Well at least I don't think so. But I did spend October on the golf coast 3 years a go.

Bill

Wayne.  You don't shoot anything or body, in golf...:blink: X over/under par! :lol:

WBill.  Mustang Island/Corpus has a lot of winter Texans...We even have them on Galveston Island.  The only thing now is, how long will it take to re build the infrastructure, after Hurricane Harvey!  Pioneer RV Park at Aransas Pass is operational again and they are playing golf again next door.  Escapee Chapter 11, will be there in April.  Rockport is still hurting, but have friends that are going to the "Oyster Festival", first week of March, in their RV's!

You don't like golf anymore or it don't like you? 

Roland, is trying to find a RV park, golf and good restaurants, within a reasonable distance of each other, for next winter!  Lower Rio Grand Valley, has all of that, in the tri angle, between Harlingen, Brownsville and Edinburg! :)  They also got wall to wall people....I can't handle that part. I need room to roam, that's why I don't have any use for Sub divisions where you hear the folks next door burp! :angry:

We're in Rockport now. I have not seen any parks closed other than Goose Island State Park and they reopen March 1. We are going to the RGV the middle of April just as we did last year. The parks will be virtually empty of winter Texans unless there are some freak late winter storms. Since global warming is in effect, I'm sure it will be in the upper 90's in Canada by Easter. 

We will most likely stay at Llano Grande the year. Check them out Roland. They have a first time visitor program offering two weeks free or at least they did last year. We stay in the north section. Nice park.

Carl, I was 10 under on the front 9 till the beer cart came buy.-_- See I do know golf lingo.B)

I am glad Rockport is getting back in shape. I liked that area but it is not far above sea level. 

Bill

Wayne.  I have played twice in the last 14 month's.  Right now, my game is puuurfect par! :lol:  Linda has played once in 20 years, that was in October 2017...5 over! :blink: I need a lot of practice, we are playing 2 day's with the Cruising Cajun's, starting March 11.  We where invited to their rally!

My biggest handicap is me! As I have aged I can’t hit the ball as far and it is hard to reprogram the brain. Are most of the courses in the RGV country clubs or or their some public play courses? With my current game anything over $75-80 is not worth it. Hope to get back in groove this summer when we are back in Michigan.

Carl, sit back, relax and let your age catch up with you!

p.s., when I was playing it was 5 or 6 times a week.  Handicap, besides playing golf, never got below 10.  Still made a lot of money in the skins game.

8 hours ago, rfsod48 said:

My biggest handicap is me! As I have aged I can’t hit the ball as far and it is hard to reprogram the brain. Are most of the courses in the RGV country clubs or or their some public play courses? With my current game anything over $75-80 is not worth it. Hope to get back in groove this summer when we are back in Michigan.

There are plenty of public courses. We stay at Llano Grande and they have a golf course.

Roland.  It's Texas!  We got a lot of public golf and most are in the $25/$35 range!  Not many in the $$$ range your talking about, unless it's semi private!  Even then it's mostly $50/70.

My handicap is between my ears!  Wayne. Same, I got to a 12.  Now it's probably a 24+!  Linda had a 3...in October she was 1 under after 9 and that was playing with a old set of Pings that I have...For Christmas, she got fitted to a new set of Taylor made (men's), her drives average 240+, swing speed is 97.3mph! 

WBill.  Have spent a lot of my life around Cajun's,  I never gamble with them! :lol:  We are spending 3 day's with a best friend,  before the rally, in Kaplan, LA.  He's now doing 96 acres of crawfish in his retirement from Chevron!  Can I OD on Mudbugs?  NO!! I love them.:wub:

12 hours ago, rfsod48 said:

The OP asked a question about golf. Are the rules now the original poster of a thread can't ask a question that is not on the exact original topic? He did ask about golf courses in the RGV.