rfsod48

Padre Island

Question

What is the typical weather in Padre Island/ South Padre Island towards the end of March? Will the area still be flooded with winter Texans?

On 2/16/2018 at 2:42 PM, rfsod48 said:

What is the typical weather in Padre Island/ South Padre Island towards the end of March? Will the area still be flooded with winter Texans?

Joe, the OP'er rfsod48, asked about the weather and winter Texans on South Padre Island.

Maybe a new topic on golf should be started. It would make a good topic for many here on the Forum.

Thanks 

Herman

And then he, Roland (rfsod48) the original poster, asked about golf courses in the RGV. So you're saying he should have started a new thread asking about public or private courses where he is asking about the weather? What about if know some really good places to eat or places to visit in the RGV, I should start a new thread? I guess I missed the memo on no deviations or additional information can be shared unless a new thread is started. Give me a little time, I'm sure I'll adapt.

Here is a link to the Golf Courses in the Rio Grande Valley.  Most of these are public courses.  There is a map so you can see the distribution of courses throughout the RGV and there is also a link to each of the courses so you can check their rates.  If you come to spend the winter, you will find some courses that offer a winter season membership which will reduce your cost considerably.  I'm certain there are also other RV parks throughout the RGV that have golf groups that get discounts for playing at a certain course regularly.

Regarding golf and the weather in March, you can count on warm (80's daytime) windy (15 to 20 regularly) weather.  Most of our spring weather is rain free and largely cloud free as well.  The south Texas winds can be a challenge for any golfer.  Yesterday we were on the Los Lagos course, an Edinburg city course.  We play that course every Monday in a group from our park.  The group rate is $32 with a cart, $21 if you walk the 18 hole course.  We have also played a number of other parks in the area.

Temperatures yesterday were 73 degrees at our 8:00 tee time and were in the mid 80's by the time we completed our round of golf.  Winds yesterday were 20 to 25 with gusts to 35.  I had to put my hat in the golf bag.  It was that or lose it in a lake!  Being used to the wind, my game got better as the day got windier!  I play for the fun of chasing the ball around the course and for the exercise that results. 

Our golf courses are also populated with a variety of interesting and beautiful birds seen up close many times.  American White Pelicans, Spoonbills, Great Egrets, Snowy Egrets, Great Blue Herons, Black Necked Stilts, Black Bellied Whistling Ducks, Long-billed Curlews and an assortment of ducks can be seen on the courses in the RGV.  We do learn to watch out for fire ant mounds.  Standing on one of them will definitely ruin your day.  Some courses are better about controlling them than others. 

There actually are RV's headed north right now.  That will accelerate as we get closer to Easter.  By early April at least 50% of the Winter Texans will be on their way north.  I can assure you that almost any park in the RGV has a place for you to stay right now.  The area is busy with a population of over 1 million in the the RGV area.  South Padre Island will have a booming population around Easter and spring break for Texas schools.  Spring break activities (concerts, parties, etc.) are scheduled March 7 to 21 and Easter this year is April 1.  I'd plan to be somewhere other than South Padre Island during that period of time.  Stay elsewhere in the RGV and visit SPI once the spring break crowd has dispersed. 

Roland.  That would be nice, give a heads up when you decide!

Grumpy.  You need to relax a bit.

Jim S.  The "man" will be back around Easter!  Don't think there is a new, NEW! :lol:

14 hours ago, rfsod48 said:

Thank you all for the info! Who knows, next winter I may be a winter Texan:)

If you have any questions I would ask "The Governor of the Valley" TBUTLER. B)

Bill  

Roland --

The north end of Padre Island between Corpus Christi and Port Aransas may be worth considering.  On two separate long weekends my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the Gulf Waters Beach Front RV Resort --> http://gulfwatersrvresorttx.com/

Of all the RV resorts / parks we have stayed in Texas and Louisiana, Gulf Waters Beach Front RV Resort is one of the best!   It's not a "cheap" place as rates range from $60 (winter) to $75 (summer) per day but the amenities and spaciousness are well worth the price.    Quirky fun and simple dining is a short drive away in the beach town of Port Aransas, the beach itself is a short board-walk away while good golf, shopping and great dining are near by in Corpus Christi.  March weather typically has highs around 72 F and lows around 57 F.  The Gulf water temperature at the beach in March will be quite cool at 60-65 F.  I suspect reservations at Gulf Waters Beach RV Resort are needed very early for "snow bird" season next year.

Carl may have some thoughts on the Gulf Waters  Beach Front RV Resort and the Port Aransas / Corpus Christi / northern Padre Island area.

Hope this helps!

This year you'll need to go a lot further than Port A for meals, as of last week there was only one restaurant open and some of the others are no longer there.  Harvey really did a number on one our favorite places. I'm sure by next year things will be much better. According to some of the locals, the problem is getting contractors, there is a huge shortage of skilled workers in the area. 

They have ben showing on the news that Rockport and that area still have a long way to go before they are back to where they were. We have stayed at Lagoons RV Resort a couple of times before the storm. Hope they are getting it straitened up. The big problem is that whole area is only 12" above the ocean at the hi spots. Hear is a picture of the water pushing into the parking lot where we were eating lunch on time.

Bill

20151023_105639.jpg

Yea.  They are slowly rebuilding Aransas Pass.  Pioneer RV Park is open and so is the golf course next door!  Further up in Rockport, the RV Parks are open, including Lagoons.  The Oyster Fest for Fulton is on...March  1-4. That's 2 miles from Rockport.

What your calling North Padre Island, we call Mustang Island.  This has been a Wild Fall and Winter for Texas, I hope this fall/winter of 18/19 will be back to normal, along with temps.

Joe, Mike.  Your both right as far as the coast goes...there are other as good or better RV parks in Texas!  Mike, you don't like Palmetto State Park in LA? :lol: