richard5933

Android App for Forum

I follow quite a few online forum groups, and for many of them I'm able to participate easily from my Android smartphone using an app like Tapatalk. I've been unable to find any support for this forum on such an app.

I've got the FMCA app on my phone, but it doesn't appear to have any forum support. Sure would be much easier to participate in the forum if I didn't need to drag out the laptop to do so.

Am I missing something? Or, is this one that needs to be passed along to those that make decisions about such things?

Thanks. That's what I do. Problem is that it requires a browser. If I'm at a laptop it's not a problem getting to the forum. It's just that I'm not usually around a laptop. Always have the smartphone and/or tablet at hand though, especially when we're on the road. When accessing the forum through a browser on a smartphone much more data is used than when doing the same thing through an app like Tapatalk.

The apps like Tapatalk are not based on a browser. If you've never used one you should take a look. They are optimized for use on a small screen and make maneuvering through a forum a breeze. Another added benefit is that when accessing a forum through the app I can upload photos directly through the app using the camera on the phone.

If FMCA is working to get more younger people involved, then I'm surprised this type of thing isn't already underway. Much simpler to access things through an app than a browser. FMCA does have an app, but there does not appear to be any forum access through it.

26 minutes ago, hermanmullins said:

Richard,

Try opening your internet on your phone and type "com" and comunity, fmca will come up. Just click on it. That is how I get it on my Andriod Phone.

Herman

Not sure that you and I are talking about the same thing.

I have no problem getting the forum on my phone by using the 'internet'. That's still using a browser. There are other ways to access things like the FMCA Forum other than by going through the browser on a phone.

The advantage to using an app like Tapatalk rather than a browser (the 'internet') is that the apps are optimized for the small screen of a smartphone and use far less data. They are easier to use, can take advantage of the phone's camera, and can consolidate all the different forums that I participate in in one app on my phone.

Here are some links to the app I'm using to access other forum. There are other apps out there as well. I'm not sure what it takes to get the FMCA forum on a platform/format that works on these apps, but whoever did the new website should know.

For iPhone: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id307880732?mt=8

For Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.quoord.tapatalkpro.activity

FMCA is the only forum I frequent that doesn't have an app. I agree Richard, the younger folks go to the App Store immediately, heck, I did too when I started using my iPad when traveling. FMCA loads so slow that if I'm on a weak network it will time out sometimes but when using the apps for other forums it eliminates that issue. 

Herman, you may want to pass this along to the appropriate geek squad folks. 

Joe, since you joined in 2009, you should know how fast (LOL) FMCA moves! :ph34r:😂  I've been  a member since 1967...

1 hour ago, manholt said:

Joe, since you joined in 2009, you should know how fast (LOL) FMCA moves! :ph34r:😂  I've been  a member since 1967...

You are correct Carl - snail's pace it is.

Too bad though, as it really seems that when we opened up to trailers a couple of years ago there was going to be a push to get the younger RV owners involved. It looks like we get lots of new people joining the FMCA Forum every week, but very few of them stick around or post very much, if at all.

If I were in a leadership role I'd be trying to figure out why all these new forum members are not posting and why they're not sticking around or becoming FMCA members. One of the places I'd be investigating is if the lack of technology which will bring the younger people to the forum.

Technology in these areas moves very quickly, and if you stick with a web-based platform and not one well-suited to smartphones you'll get left in the dust.