dbenoit

"Cabin Fever" Thread

Now that Lent has arrived, in the Houston and Lake Charles areas crawfish etouffee, boiled crawfish, fried crawfish, broiled red snapper with crawfish etouffee topping, etc. are on  good the Friday "abstinence from meat" menu for every good Catholic like me.  It's a real sacrifice not to eat meat on Fridays!! :lol:

Back to the cabin fever topic, the wife and I also had cabin fever in late January so we spent a long weekend at Marble Falls, TX in the Hill Country for the Valentine's Day "Wine Lovers Festival" on the Texas Wine Trail.   The weather was unexpectedly and surprisingly cold and rainy but that didn't matter (had to make a hasty trip to the  Lowes store to purchase foam pipe insulation for the water hose when night time temps dropped to 25 F!).   Tasting six different wines at each of three wineries per day kept us plenty warm.  The 35,000 btu propane Atwood furnace kept the motorhome very warm and comfortable.  After five days on the Wine Trail we hated having to return to Houston to face our career demands and chaotic Houston traffic.  

My seven years to retirement can't happen fast enough!

1 hour ago, fagnaml said:

Valentine's Day "Wine Lovers Festival" on the Texas Wine Trail. 

Now that sounds like the best solution to Cabin fever yet! 

BTW Joe, you get the best flavor when you suck the head of the mud bug. Oh, and it does appear in some lawns after one of our toad stragglers. Yeah....I'm gonna make you ask.:rolleyes:

Joe.  Jim S. is right, Crawfish/Crayfish/Crawdads/Mudbugs, is known as, "Poor man's lobster", in the South!

Jim S.  Joe knows what that is, also "a cow Psg on a flat rock"!

Mike.  The sacrifice, is not meatless Friday.  It's the 40 days after Fat Tuesday! :o  Think I'll have a glass of wine now...I'm a Norwegian Lutheran! :lol:

19 hours ago, DBenoit said:

Just to clarify, A mud bug is a craw daddy? 

We call Lake W, Lake Winny. (winnipesaukee). I don't think even us NH peeps can spell it either, I had to copy and paste.

I believe it is what most of my yankee friends refer to as a crayfish. The more refined southerners refer to it as a crawfish, thus, I refer to it as a mud bug. Sugar and gasoline are about the only refined things in my life.

Jim S.  Did you mean "Sugar & Gas"? :rolleyes:

DBenoit.  Have a friend, that sold her house on Lake Winni, (Real Estate Broker in Laconia for 28 years) and moved back to Texas.  During all the years she lived up there, she flew to Houston, Texas, to have her hair & nails done, every 2 weeks during winter...no cabin fever! :D  

Joe. In the Hill Country, we probably have 100+ Wineries, in a 60 sq. mile area! :) Seems like Fredericksburg, TX., gets a new estate monthly!  There is one that is a combination Wine & Dud Ranch, on 1,600 acres, just South of Johnson City (Past POTUS LBJ birthplace).  Bet Mike went there.

Y'all makin' me drool.

Stayed at the Freeport/Durham KOA in Maine. It is 6 miles from the L.L.Bean store.  Left my wallet in the RV when we visited the store. It was a wise decision (NOT).

Believe it or not we have some Chinese Buffet's around here that have craw bugs and they are spiced up real nice.  For all you can eat, who cares about the size.

Our cabin fever has us leaving on the 3rd, stopping in Beaux Bridges, at Poche's RV Park and Fish-n-Camp park, (Jim, you remember that place and it now has asphalt road in) then on to Gulfport, MS for a week, then Five Flags RV park in P'Cola FL for a couple weeks to visit friends.  Alas, back home to  cabin fever for a month or so, then on to New England and return...whenever.

Wayne,

I was in Poche's RV Park in 2016 to Make a Chapter Presentation. Really nice Park and the porch on the Rally Room has Rocking chairs that make it feel like your own front porch.

Herman

Herman, been there done that already.  In the days that Jim and I went there (in separate coaches so no comments) the road going in was gravel/(dirt) and the back of the rigs sure got dirty. Lady told me the road going in was asphalt now.

Yep, I remember and I somehow got what I believe was the only pull through spot. We went to some hole in the wall cafe on a bayou that had some good eatin. Glad they got the road paved for sure. 

On 2/24/2018 at 0:14 PM, hermanmullins said:

Wayne, 

Don't get discouraged when going there it is way back in there, but quite and the stars are bright at night.

Herman

"Deep in the heart of Texas". First thing that came to me when I read this. Now I'll be singing it all day.

David

David.  Don't forget about the "Yellow Rose of Texas"!  That will keep you busy.

Jim S, Wayne, Herman.  How was the mosquitoes?  Some are big enough to deep fry the legs, taste like chicken!!!  So, I have been told. :P

Wayne, Jim.  Was that "Boys night out"? :D:rolleyes:

'Skeeters don't bother me. Must be bad blood or bad carbon dioxide.  Skin must smell bad and my breath also.

Mosquitos ar attracted to carbon dioxide and skin.

Earlene on the other hand will get bitten 500 times by the same one mosquito, I think. She definitely attracts them.

6 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

Earlene on the other hand will get bitten 500 times by the same one mosquito, I think. She definitely attracts them.

B vitamins are supposed to help curve these attacks. My DW is the same, I always tell her is she wasn't sweating sweet tea they wouldn't be bothering you! :lol:

16 minutes ago, manholt said:

I take a multi B, 3x week

Daily for me comes with the body builder profile, I expel to many vitamins weight training. Maybe not enough for you? I have to read up on it and ask my Dr next trip.

3 hours ago, manholt said:

I have yet to understand, why we have Mosquitos and Fire Ants!  They serve no useful purpose that I can see! :wacko: 

They keep you on your toes!

"Skeeters" in southern Louisiana are a way of life.   At dusk and dawn during the spring, summer and fall, it's humans vs. skeeters and only the strongest will win!  Deep Woods Off usually gives the humans a fighting chance!    The Lafayette / Breaux Bridge / Henderson area of south Louisiana are great for activities, sight seeing and especially dining.  The wife and I have stayed at Cajun Palms RV Resort which is located near Henderson.  It is a great place to stay.   We'll have to try Poche's RV Park during our next visit to the Lafayette area.

And now on this Tuesday morning I'm hungry for a Cajun omelet, a beignet and a cup of dark roast Community coffee at Chez Jacqualine's in Breaux Bridge.

I'll give you a heads up on the "Skeeters", in a couple of weeks...we will be in Kaplan. LA. the 4th and Paterson, LA. the 7th to 11th!  Cruisen Cajuns in Lent, that should be interesting! :rolleyes: