seajaycecil@yahoo.com

Transmission shifter problem resolved

Due to the underwhelming requests from fellow motor homers I have decided to share some of my wealth of knowledge concerning the repair and safe keeping of a gas powered V-10 ford motorhome...

Willa and I pulled into the Long Point camp ground here in Florida. I got out so I could direct her into the parking spot and so I could hook up the water and electric on the coach....

Willa got behind the wheel and informed me that the transmission would not come out of ''Park''...

I said shux.......

''Do you have your foot on the break pedal dear''?

''Yes,,,,,,,,, I know how to drive this thing......DEAR.......AND IT WONT COME OUT OF PARK ........DEAR......''

I said SHUX and walked back into the coach.

After some wiggling and jiggling we finally got the coach to to into DRIVE and we pulled it into the camp spot.

Since we had just had a new transmission installed in the fall I was sure the problem had to be somewhere else.

I went outside and slid under the coach.......

The following is a very technical description of the proper repair and adjustment that I persnally made on the coach. It is written in standard NAVY jargon that can be understood by any Blue water sailor. For the Marines reading this, e-mail me and I will use smaller words.......

On the side of the transmission there is a black plastic ''GIZMO'' that determines which gear the transmission is operating in.

Coming out of the side of this GIZMO is a ROLICKING ROD that points up with a DOO DAD (a white thing) on top so you can attach it to the ''THING-A-MADOOGE'' which has groves in it to hold the ROLICKING ROD in place and proper adjustment.

I forgot to mention that the DOO DAD (the white thing) has a locking ''GADGET'' on the side to hold the DOO DAD (the white thing) in place on the ''THING-A-MADOOGE'' (the thing with the groves in it).

After careful observation I determined that the GADGET on the DOO DAD ( the white thing) had come lose and allowed the THING-A-MADOOGE to lose its adjustment in the groves of the THING-A-MADOOGE and that was why the transmission was acting like a Marine doing long divison.... confused ....lol.....(sorry wayne, all in fun)

(I am typing slow so Wayne the Marine can keep up)

(I guess the rest of you sailors are following this easily)

Anyhow,,,,,,,,,, here is the FIX for the problem....

After some shouting I finally got Willa's attention.....

I told her to put the shifter lever in PARK.....

I pushed the ROLICKING ROD on the GIZMO all the way forward (toward the front Marine) and slid the THING-A-MADOOGE in place and popped the DOO DAD down tight on the THING-A-MADOOGE and locked it in place with the GADGET on the side to hold everything where it should be.....

I told Willa to put the shifter in LOW gear so I could check the adjustment range on the ''WHAT-DO-YOU-CALL-IT'' coming down from the shifter lever and to be sure that the nut was tight.......

Everything checked out and all is well with the shifter now.

Now remember this ........... THIS WILL ONLY WORK ON A FORD V10 GAS MODLE COACH.

You guys with diesel pushers are just out of luck ......

Also, If you use this valuable information you will owe me ten cents and you have to pay me the next time you see me and if it dont work for you

YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN PAL ....

(note...... I deliberately mis-spelt some words in this text)

God bless our troops and bring them home safe and soon......

God bless our vets for their service to this country...

Seajay the sailor man.....