jimmierteet

Newbie DP Owner

Hello.

I just purchased a 2000 Georgie Boy Cruise Master with CAT 300 HP turbo (3126B) and Allison MD3000MH transmission. This is my first diesel pusher, so I am a real newbie, and hoping to enter full-time cruising within the next six to 12 months. I drove it home and got the engine ID # off the engine plate (6510262303 00D04 T103). However, I can't find any Ser# prefix and am wondering if there is one, and where it would be located? Also, there are two VINs on this unit - what is the second one for?

I can find no paperwork showing complete maintenance records (odometer reading is 44,500 miles), and want to get all service done at a Freightliner center for 45K miles, and probably include new belts, hoses, etc. Can someone give me a reasonable expectation for the cost of this type of service?

Also, the steering wheel is aligned off-center about 45 degrees, and there appears to be about 1/4-3/8 vertical play in it. Any advice on how to align the wheel and eliminate this up/down slack in the steering wheel?

Thanks for your patience and suggestions everyone.

Jim Teet

Jim,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Your Caterpillar 3126 engine serial number will be on the sticker on the valve cover (top of engine) toward the front of the engine/rear of coach-- access it through the bedroom or closet. The serial number will be on the top line SER. NO. followed by the number.

When you find it, call the Caterpillar RV Hotline at 877 777-3126 and ask for a service history. If a Caterpillar dealer performed any service AND communicated it to Cat, they will have a record.

If you can't prove that the initial valve adjustment has been performed, get it done. If coolant is over three years old OR tests bad with SCA test strips, replace coolant and thermostat(s) (some 3126's have two thermostats which Caterpillar calls regulators).

To speed your learning curve (and have fun at the same time):

There are two upcoming “fun" learning experiences for diesel pusher owners coming up in your area.

You might want to consider joining the Cat RV Club.

http://catrvclub.org/

I will be presenting two maintenance seminars along with a lot of good times (the Club is NOT just for gear heads) in Amarillo March 8-12:

http://catrvclub.org/rally_info.htm

The FMCA (Family Motor Coach Association) Convention follows two weeks later in Albuquerque:

http://www.fmca.com/index.php/conventions/albuquerque

Another great time AND good learning experience.

Brett Wolfe

Hi,welcome aboard! I don't know if your steering wheel is set up like mine, but mine is adjustable up and down. The outer ring will twist right and left. Twisted to the left allows the the wheel to be raised or lowered, turn the ring to the right and it locks it in place. I can't give you much more info on that steering system, but it sounds like maybe there's been some work done on the drag link or tie rod ends and it was never aligned after the work was done. Freightliner should be able to take care of that pretty easily. Hope to see at the rallies sometime. :rolleyes: