markandlisav

Leveling pad replacement

I have a Lippert LCI automatic leveling system installed on my rig.  A few weeks ago I bought these cool 'snap pads' for the landing gear.  The landing gear are standard Lippert 9 inch steel pads, but one is 11 inch ( must have been replaced by previous owner).  Not a problem, ordered a new 9 inch pad to replace it.  My question is, how do you get the installed one off?  I put a breaker bar on it and the hydraulic shaft just spins...  I looked around for a lock -  stick in a screw driver or something to hold it but did not see one.  Greatly appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction. 

Mark.  Goggle power gear and download the installation manual for Jacks...about mid way thru the pdf you'll find a parts list and a jack.  you'll see how its put together! 

Call Power Gear and ask them.

Also, make darn sure that the new pad is tight.  I have had two drop off the previous MH while going down Interstates. Not a fun situation (Not at the same time either). Luckily the damage was to my car and not someone else.  I took all the bolts out holding the pad on and inserted a SS lock washer.

Jim S.  Subject is, leveling pad replacement, sub heading "Cool Jack Pads"!  Your question is in those parameters and I would also like to know!!! :D:blink:

Jim S.  I looked up "Snap Pad'.  Great idea for a Gasser A or C, or 5'er!  Could not find a weight chart, so I don't think it will support a big rig!  It snap's on your pad, so you don't need wood or other medium under your jacks!

Bunk....it's gives you so little additional area of support that I can't imagine it being much benefit. I will rarely get my heavy rig in an area that soft where I would need pads under my jacks anyway. 

I read the reviews on Amazon and it never talked about helping in soft surfaces. Makes your rv more stable was the biggy. $150 eeek.

Many asphalt lots require boards or other suitable devices for spreading out jack loads.  Recall that at any of the FMCA Conventions where parking was on asphalt.

Was at several in Pomona where weather was perfect, but parking on asphalt did require boards.

Said another way, not all venues with asphalt have hot/uncomfortable weather.

In Redmond, OR. I don't recall any reflective heat and I was on asphalt.  I generally use air level, unless it's windy...20/25mph + gust's!

5 hours ago, elkhartjim said:

Not to hijack this thread, but can someone explain to me what the real not perceived benefit of these "cool jack pads" would be?

I park the majority of the time on concrete at my house.  Get rust stains from level pads - these help.  

Mark.  Your coach don't weigh 45,000 to 56,000 pounds...therefore those pads should be OK for most, not all surfaces!

I've carried wooden pads (12" x 14") for ten years, I took them out of my coach a few weeks ago because in all those years I've never needed to use them. When I overnight at a big box store I never use my jacks. Maybe I'll go dig them out in put them back in the coach.

Dont try to convince me it's not hot on an asphalt parking lot when it's 100 degrees.:o

2 hours ago, elkhartjim said:

I've carried wooden pads (12" x 14") for ten years, I took them out of my coach a few weeks ago because in all those years I've never needed to use them. When I overnight at a big box store I never use my jacks. Maybe I'll go dig them out in put them back in the coach.

Dont try to convince me it's not hot on an asphalt parking lot when it's 100 degrees.:o

No really it has to be 110 before the asphalt riley puts out some heat. I have ben to rally's and some campgrounds where I needed a pad.  Some campgrounds are so un level I used blocks to get close to level.

Bill

Wayne. Redmond. OR in August 2014, stayed mostly in the 75-80 range, and rained at least once a day for a couple of hours!  In West Springfield, Mass., it was in the 90's and humidity!  Granted, it's no fun at 110+ !  Fry an egg on the hood of a car, yea it works! :lol:

Parked one time (well more then one but used wood pads this time) and when we left there was a square depression in the asphalt. That was with the 15,000 pound lighter MH.

It may have been 110 on the asphalt but the air was in the upper 90's.

Without the pads, you would have left holes.  All asphalt surfaces, are not created equally, some have other mediums mixed in, to create strength and durability!  

On 2/25/2018 at 6:40 PM, huffypuff said:

If bolts are holding it on try an impact wrench.  

Spot on Ray!  Strap wrench did not work.  Pulled out the impact wrench and viola!!!

Thanks everyone!

3 hours ago, markandlisav said:

Spot on Ray!  Strap wrench did not work.  Pulled out the impact wrench and viola!!!

Thanks everyone!

Thank you Mark and Lisa V,  I began faking I was a mechanic nearly 50 years.  After 30 years working at the government they pension me off so maybe I got away with it.  Guess I learned one trick.