TimeTraveler

Finding Good Food On The Road..that someone else cooks

2 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

And when done right you can cut it with you fork. A must is Cream Gravy and Mash Potatoes. Mmmm,

Is this payback for the brisket post a few months ago? You just made me hungry! :)

No, no, Brisket is also to die for. Slow cooked over Mesquite, sliced on an open bun with a good KC sauce and a bit of sweet relish. M-m-m!

My meal everyday would be if I could, 3 Eggs over easy with real Hash Browns, and White Toast with real butter and Blackburn's Peach Preserves for breakfast. Open Sliced Brisket Sandwich, Fried Okra and Potato Salad with a dish of Peach Cobbler for Lunch. And to top the day off, Chicken Fried Steak with Mashed Potato and cream gravy along with fresh Green Beans ending with Sweet Potato Pie with real Whipped Cream.:)

I just gained 4 pounds writing this.:wub:

Herman

Herman you forgot the side of either red beans or pinto's with some pepper sauce.:D

Joe, if you ever make it down this far you will want to go to The North Main BBQ. These guys started by winning nearly every BBQ cook off they entered including trips to Europe.  This was their test kitchen and they had all this leftover meat so they started to sell it. The restaurant is open on Fridays and Saturdays from 11:00 am to 9:00 pm and on Sundays from 11:00 am to 4:00 pm. Or till the meat is gone.

http://northmainbbq.com/Home_Page.php

Bill

good to know, I mapped it out last night :wacko:, I'm up for a road trip in the toad, but not a 5 hour one :o...id consider 1/2 of that...

Just east of Fredicksburg, Tx there is a bakery run by Folks of Mexican extraction. We bought just some donuts, as we were parked in an RV Park back west side of Austin.

There is only one major road and you can't miss it from the smell of fresh baked everything.  We go back that way we will figure out how to store some breads cakes and more donuts.

I haven't had donuts like that since Michigan on the way up on state roads, we found a bakery seemingly in the middle of no where.

24 minutes ago, timetraveler said:

Just east of Fredicksburg, Tx there is a bakery run by Folks of Mexican extraction. We bought just some donuts, as we were parked in an RV Park back west side of Austin.

There is only one major road and you can't miss it from the smell of fresh baked everything.  We go back that way we will figure out how to store some breads cakes and more donuts.

I haven't had donuts like that since Michigan on the way up on state roads, we found a bakery seemingly in the middle of no where.

When down in that part of the world I always stop at The Apple Store, 14024 State Hwy 16 North, Medina, TX 78055, lovecreekorchards.com, (830) 589-2202.

They have a  restaurant in the back of the store that is on list of one of the 50 best burgers in Texas.

In Fredericksburg you should look up Woerner Warehouse Café, 305 S Lincoln St, Fredericksburg, TX 78624

woernerwarehouse.com, (830) 997-2246

This is hidden in a big warehouse that has lots of stuff riley lots of stuff. It was so good we have ben back every time we are near.

Bill

Kelly's in La Marque, TX has some really good food and the quantity for the price is outstanding. Always left overs for the next days lunch.  Their CFS is excellent and look at the menu and prices. Kelly's. The CFS is around $8.50 and seniors $7.50 with 3 sides, free bread and cornbread.

Another place we like is "The Fish Place" in Dickinson, TX. They had a fire and are re-opening now.  Varying seafood but also steak, haburgers, etc.  Their Jalapeno poppers are to die for as is their catfish - with an all you can eat for about $12,

Presently in Gulfport, MS and both Gulfport and Biloxi have the Half Shell Oyster House.  it was so good the first time we took friends a couple days later.  Excellent food. I liked the seafood pasta so much I had it twice.  Noodles in a creamy sauce topped with crawfish and crab claws.

Absolutely nothing beats Earlene's biscuits and sausage gravy and my added fried eggs also smothered with her gravy.  To die for.

3 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

Absolutely nothing beats Earlene's biscuits and sausage gravy and my added fried eggs also smothered with her gravy.  To die for.

Come on....Biscuit recipe???? 

When I was fat, that was my go to breakfast! 

I like my eggs lightly scrambled with biscuits and gravy. The TA Truck stops used to have a good breakfast buffet with biscuits and gravy.  Maybe they still do. Had to eat where I could park. Betty prepares them for us occasionally. They go back to my southern lineage on my Mom's side. And Beans were mentioned also. My aunt Mazie made the best ever pinto beans and the cornbread was coarse and delicious. They were very poor. Farmed with mules and did not own a car, but my aunt could cook.

Hey, I'm married to what I call a gourmet cook. It's how I keep my round shape.

6 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Wayne, you are in Carl's back yard.:o

Bill

Shhhhhh! Don't tell him.

22 minutes ago, wayne77590 said:

Hey, I'm married to what I call a gourmet cook. It's how I keep my round shape

Nothing wrong with that! :P