richard5933

Best Fish Fry

Question

Not sure if this is something that plays nationwide, but up here in Wisconsin it's fish fry season. Part of what makes us who we are. It's a thing. Most always on a Friday night, sometimes also on Wednesdays. Best ones can often be found at lodges, bars, and hole-in-the-wall type places.

As we travel around, we are always on the lookout for a good fish fry. The more unique and off-beaten the better. As long as we can get the bus within walking distance we'll consider the place an option.

Thought I'd ask if anyone has any suggestions on places around the country.

18 hours ago, Kvachereau said:

In Vermont, with the lakes now frozen. You cannot beat ice fishing for smelt or perch. Come on up. The weather is freezing! Maple sugaring season is now also starting. Least we forget skiing is still going strong.

Ken 432032

2014 Itasca

Be right up in about 4 mouths.:D

I was up that way last summer. We stayed at Lake Winnipesaukee and New Found Lake New Hampshire. At Lake Winnipesaukee they were having a wooden boat show by New England Chapter of the Antique and Classic Boat Society. There were over 75 amazing wooden boats.

Yes we ate some fried perch too.

Bill

A poster by Alton artist Peter Ferber, this was the show poster.

07 29 2017BoatPosterImage5x7

In Texas it is fried catfish. I have a toad so it isn't a problem getting to the more interesting places like Chaparral Grille & Spurs Bar, on Possum Kingdom Lake, Texas.;)

Bill

In Vermont, with the lakes now frozen. You cannot beat ice fishing for smelt or perch. Come on up. The weather is freezing! Maple sugaring season is now also starting. Least we forget skiing is still going strong.

Ken 432032

2014 Itasca

In Wisconsin walleye is commercially available. Used to order that at restaurants there and in Minnesota. Hope that hasn't changed. Would really enhance a fish fry.

The best fish n chips I've ever had was in Hyder Alaska.  The cod fish was caught that morning.  The kitchen was a converted school bus located in the middle of town by a lady who's husband was the commercial fisherman.  She raised vegetables in her garden for salads.  The breading on the fish was crispy like a potato chip and had no grease taste.  Almost worth the drive back!

Best fish around the Pacific NW is in Astoria, OR.  the name of the place is the BOW PICKER, it an old boat on a trailer in the parking lot across from the Mainers Museum

Jim.

Hello Bill,

lake Winnipesaukee is Georgous! Lake George NY also has  many wooden boat shows. Another beautiful area. Since anyone is in NH, go farther north to Maine. Can not beat the clam chowdah! Forget the R's in this part. Try the whole belly clams (fried). You will either love or hate them (no in-between). As for coming up in 4 months. I'll be in the Outer Banks in NC. Have to find the sun somewhere!

Ken F432032

2014 Itasca

2 hours ago, Kvachereau said:

Hello Bill,

lake Winnipesaukee is Georgous! Lake George NY also has  many wooden boat shows. Another beautiful area. Since anyone is in NH, go farther north to Maine. Can not beat the clam chowdah! Forget the R's in this part. Try the whole belly clams (fried). You will either love or hate them (no in-between). As for coming up in 4 months. I'll be in the Outer Banks in NC. Have to find the sun somewhere!

Ken F432032

2014 Itasca

Well Ken I have ben as far "Dow East" as you can go in Main and a little further to Campobello Island to tour the Roosevelt Summer home. 

If you are in East Port, Stay at Seaview Campground & Cottages as that is the most north east campground in the USA. Be Shure to stop at Raye's Mustard Mill Museum. If you sample some of the different mustards you will end up buying some.

Before I forget a little south of Maine in RI there is a great place for fried fish. George's of Galilee, georgesofgalilee.com, just walking distance from Point Judith Light is hard to beat.

Bill

4 hours ago, rfsod48 said:

How about best seafood in Texas RGV area?

At the south side of the causeway to South Padre Island check out.

Dirty Al's at Pelican Station, 201 S Garcia St, Port Isabel, TX 78578, pelicanstation.co, (956) 943-3344.

Along the coast just pick one.

Bill

13 minutes ago, manholt said:

What does, clam chowder have to do with Fried Fish?  :blink: or wood boats for that matter? :wacko: 

You need boats to catch fish and something besides dirty rice for a side.:lol:

Keep frying those fish and shrimp and scallops.

Bill

Clam chowder is a favorite of many people including me. Would go well with fried fish as the entree. Goodness. I love wooden boats. They are just plain cool!!

I know a gal, who had a classis Chris Craft on Lake Winni, in NH...She sold the house and boat for 4.6 million in 2004 and moved home to Texas!  :)  I have had deep fried Main Lobster, not bad, but much prefer them in more traditional ways!

I fish in Buzzards Bay, MA., always a fish fry at my house starting in early spring. Gotta shuck those quahogs for the appetizer. I have a license for diggin those.

Also have boat for fishing (Whaler) if anyone is in the area and wants to go sometime. Target is black sea bass, tautog,  scup and striper..

David

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 7:18 PM, manholt said:

What does, clam chowder have to do with Fried Fish?  :blink: or wood boats for that matter

If you get to the area and don't eat clam chowder, there is something wrong with you, or at least that is what the locals think.:)

Since my dead DW, was from Lebanon, NH and her Mom & Dad was from Quincy, Mass.  I have eaten enough Chowder, Lobster Stew and Scrod to fill up all the wooden boats in NE...I'm also no stranger to Buzzard Bay (got to go over the bridge), for the Cape! 

Try the Union Oyster House in Boston or the Oar House Restaurant in Old Lyme, Conn.  I have forgotten all the places we ate at in, Sandwich, Hyannis, Wellfleet and Providence!  Not to forget the coast of Main and Lands End.

Lots of good suggestions and recommendations. Makes me hungry just reading them.

Is the 'fish fry' a thing in other parts of the country like it is in Wisconsin?

While a 'fish fry' involves fried fish, it's more of an event than it is a meal. More common during Lent season, it's common to see churches, lodges, community center, and other civic groups have a 'fish fry' which is open to the public. I think the best one in the Milwaukee area is at Serb Hall. A 'fish fry' is a thing where there is a fixed menu, usually fried fish, cole slaw, potato salad, potato pancakes, rye bread, and maybe things like French fries or hush puppies. And beer. Many restaurants will serve a 'fish fry' on Fridays, but the best ones are usually in places that are not normal restaurants.

In Lake Charles, LA where my kids and grandkids live, fried fish (heck fried everything) is an everyday meal !   Fried catfish. Fried crawfish. Fried shrimp.  Fried blue crabs.  Fried crab fingers. Fried oysters.  Pistolettes stuffed with crawfish followed by a quick dip in the fryer to crispen the bread.   During Lenten season the Knights of Columbus at Catholic Churches in Lake Charles and the Houston area "fish fry Fridays".   I've yet to meet a group of Knights that were not great cooks!

If anyone is ever in Lake Charles my favorite meal is 1/2 & 1/2 Crawfish -- 1/2 plate of fried crawfish plus 1/2 plate of crawfish etoufffe at Pat's of Henderson restaurant.   Pat's also has great tasting fried alligator which is kind of a fish?? :wacko:

Mike.

Alligator Fish?  Don't think so! :rolleyes: Alligator Gar! Definatly a fish!  But you can have it..Ugh.  I'm in Patterson, LA. & surprised I have not seen Turtle on the menu!  :blink: Have seen every thing else, including Hot Dog Poo Boy! :P:blink:

When I lived in Lake City Florida, one of the local farm supply stores put on a fish fry every year on December 24. It was their Christmas gift to the community, all the fish, grits, "yes grits is a specialty, especially with cheese" in that area, coleslaw, and Mullet fish. Shame that the old family members have died out now. that was a lot of comradery at those gatherings. Always was some really good bands to attend.:)

Don't ever eat a Mullet in Texas.  They stink and are only good for bait.  I have had in FL. and there they are good.

Mullet is only good when fresh out of the water, if they are iced more than two hours, forget it for anything other than bait, even in Florida.;) I almost forgot to mention that the only water that Floridians eat mullet from is the St Johns river. St Johns is the only river in the U.S. that flows its entire course northwards, and is salt water at the head of the river, it has few fresh water tributaries making for the fish in it do not live in true brackish water, as they would if they lived in a bay that is fed by a large fresh water river.