bikeryder

Do It Yourself [DIY] Oil Change - Cummins Diesel 275 - Monaco Cayman

I’m looking for advice on performing  DIY oil change on 2003 Monaco Cayman - Cummins Diesel 275 HP. My concern is the oil filler w/cap is so high, straight up against the upper top side of engine enclosure.

Is there a special DIY hose kit, or some such thingy, which will enable a novice like myself to refill the Diesel engine oil without making a mess, spilling oil everywhere but where it belongs [in the oil fill pipe]?

It is the uppermost filler pipe w/cap[see pics]. Why are such things placed in the most inaccessible locations [rhetorical]?

Thanks in advance for any tips as I have never done this before.

Eddie

E7F55594-50F6-465D-BAE1-35783FBA50A3.jpeg

BA5D2E14-36C7-42C4-8530-5384BD2E601C.jpeg

BB72B0F2-ED5E-4030-950B-6E6AF59AC244.jpeg

AB292A79-FA02-4165-BB8A-C16FF55FA05D.jpeg

Not sure what kind of access from the bedroom,  but on my coach you just remove the floor hatch next to the bed and fill cap in the valve cover is right there.  I never have tried to use the on from the outside.

Jim

Thanks Jim, I’ll definitely check that floor access panel on Saturday morning. I just assumed that floor panel was for access to the Allison Transmission. I guess it’s true, what some say you become, whenever it is you ASSume. I appreciate very much the advice. 👍

Eddie

Desertdeals69, 

As far as I am aware, my fill tube is fixed [doesn’t pull up or out]. But I will look closer at this on Saturday morning.

Thanks, 👍

Eddie

Just a caution when adding the oil, go slow because it has a long hose to drain down and it may need to burp some air. If the engine oil one will pull out a little it would be good. A funnel with a hose is what I use.

Bill

Eddie.

Look in your engine manual for how many quarts of oil your engine holds.  Don't go by the dip stick, unless it's been calibrated.  After you have changed the oil, pull the dip stick and check level.  If your above or below full mark, mark that spot so you can use it to check if your losing oil as you drive!

Eddie, I have a similar situation as you, I fill from my valve cover not the gear housing fill, I've tried that and the oil goes in too fast and makes a mess. You can see from the photos where the gear housing fill is located. Also I use a 7 quart oil jug to fill ours, the down side is its weight, maybe prop it up on a ladder, unlock the lever to release the oil as it doesn't go in to fast for the main fill, but its to fast for the gear housing fill.

The gear housing fill is right next to the Hydraulic reservoir and under the V belt. 

LING525.jpg

IMG_2585.JPG

19 minutes ago, elkhartjim said:

Is it bragging or rubbing our noses in it, Bill? :rolleyes:

You would think with that much access he would detail it a little better.B)

Bill

45 minutes ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

You would think with that much access he would detail it a little better.

It usually is, that's the down side of a side radiator, its aggressive! A little dirt on the roadway looks like a crop duster just passed by  :D and the coach looks like its never been washed!

I did see a neat item on a coach. It had a built in pressure washer. So you could wash the coach any time it got dirty. OOPs for when you are changing your oil and have a spill. See I am still on subject.;)

Bill

20 hours ago, bikeryder said:

Desertdeals69, 

As far as I am aware, my fill tube is fixed [doesn’t pull up or out]. But I will look closer at this on Saturday morning.

Thanks, 👍

Eddie

I am wondering how hard it would be to re rout the dipstick tube. Maybe make it longer so it is easier to fill. You can always re calibrate the markings when you are done.

Bill

On 2/28/2018 at 4:13 AM, jleamont said:

"I fill from my valve cover not the gear housing fill"

"The gear housing fill is right next to the Hydraulic reservoir and under the V belt." 

jleamont, your gear housing fill point appears to be a "dream" for very easy access to fill the clean engine oil.

Saturday morning will become my day of Cummins engine exploration, hopefully ending with a discovery of a much better engine oil fill point on my Cayman's Cummins diesel.

How about an offset funnel? Something like this;

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lisle-Right-Angle-Funnel-LIS17232/207003306?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|google|&mid=sBW7BiWnK|dc_mtid_8903tb925190_pcrid_195274179091_pkw__pmt__product_207003306_slid_&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIp-3R9ILM2QIVhkwNCh3V-whJEAQYAiABEgI48PD_BwE

It will take bit longer to get the oil in but you wont have to go hunting to find an alternative.

I don't use the gear housing fill point, they always back up quickly and overflow. I use that jug with the valve above a few posts, 7 quarts at a time with patience B). They also make 12v oil pumps for boats, like this;

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ABN-12V-5A-60W-Fluid-Oil-Diesel-Extractor-Pump-w-Tubes-for-Truck-RV-Boat-ATV/118674412?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=550&adid=22222222227040562711&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=99650585314&wl4=pla-235727066914&wl5=1025392&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=112354493&wl11=online&wl12=118674412&wl13=&veh=sem

Do yourself a favor, pull the dip stick out while filling it to allow the air to escape from the crankcase up the dipstick tube, otherwise you might get it to burp back at you, that's no fun!