punxsyjumper

Hand tools, Craftsman or Snap On or ???

Just curious. Had all of our stuff in storage back in PA and it got burglarized. Among other stuff, all my tools were stolen. I was always a big Craftsman guy but I know things aren't how they used to be. Just wanted to get some thoughts from you Pro's. Thanks Guys.

I started as a mechanic in 1956 and in the shop was all Snap On tools.  When I bought my own tools I chose Snap On.  I retired in 1999 and still use my Snap On tools which are in my garage shop.  I carry Craftsmen and others in my motorhome tool box.

1 hour ago, desertdeals69 said:

I started as a mechanic in 1956 and in the shop was all Snap On tools.  When I bought my own tools I chose Snap On.  I retired in 1999 and still use my Snap On tools which are in my garage shop.  I carry Craftsmen and others in my motorhome tool box.

Thanks DD

Are you a professional mechanic? If not,  I would look at other options. Snap-on tools are no doubt high quality and will last a lifetime using them daily, but that quality comes with a cost. 

My understanding is that Snap-On doesn't sell direct to individuals, so that may not be an option unless you do the flea market circuit. Or, if you have a connection to a shop you may be able to buy through their account. Craftsmen tools are not what they once were and I've found their quality dropping some. Still better than average though in my opinion.

There are still a few high-quality tool companies out there in the retail market such as S-K, but even then you've got to be careful and watch to avoid tools made of poor quality or in countries with poor QC.

Of course, if you can catch one of the Sears stores going out of business quickly after they announce, you can get some really good deals on Craftsmen tools.

I worked for a lot of years in the aircraft world. I like Snap-on and still have quite a tool box. I have used Craftsmen tools quite extensile over the years. Yes now you can find some real steals at Sears stores or at the Sears outlet stores. 

The absolute biggest advantage to Snap-On is when working on any military item Aircraft or ground support if you need a special tool there will be a part number in the technical order and it will take you to that tool in a snap on catalog.

Bill 

1 hour ago, elkhartjim said:

Are you a professional mechanic? If not,  I would look at other options. Snap-on tools are no doubt high quality and will last a lifetime using them daily, but that quality comes with a cost. 

Retired here but I've never had a problem paying for quality. Thanks Jim

1 hour ago, richard5933 said:

My understanding is that Snap-On doesn't sell direct to individuals, so that may not be an option unless you do the flea market circuit. Or, if you have a connection to a shop you may be able to buy through their account. Craftsmen tools are not what they once were and I've found their quality dropping some. Still better than average though in my opinion.

There are still a few high-quality tool companies out there in the retail market such as S-K, but even then you've got to be careful and watch to avoid tools made of poor quality or in countries with poor QC.

Of course, if you can catch one of the Sears stores going out of business quickly after they announce, you can get some really good deals on Craftsmen tools.

I would have no problem getting Snap on. I do agree about the Craftsman quality. Even their return policy isn't what it used to be. That said, I'm not wrenching as much as I used to so I'm leaning towards Craftsman. Thanks Richard, good points.

1 hour ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

I worked for a lot of years in the aircraft world. I like Snap-on and still have quite a tool box. I have used Craftsmen tools quite extensile over the years. Yes now you can find some real steals at Sears stores or at the Sears outlet stores. 

The absolute biggest advantage to Snap-On is when working on any military item Aircraft or ground support if you need a special tool there will be a part number in the technical order and it will take you to that tool in a snap on catalog.

Bill 

I didn't know about the aircraft info. Good to know when I get my Lear, haha. Thanks Bill.

13 minutes ago, Punxsyjumper said:

I didn't know about the aircraft info. Good to know when I get my Lear, haha. Thanks Bill.

True I don't do that kind of work anymore but it has been a major help on some projects. I could show you part numbers in the TO for the F-35 it is still going on so I think Snap-On will be around for a long time.

Bill

1 hour ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

True I don't do that kind of work anymore but it has been a major help on some projects. I could show you part numbers in the TO for the F-35 it is still going on so I think Snap-On will be around for a long time.

Bill

Maybe that is why they cost so much, govt contract?

I have purchased tools from Snap on, Max tools and all the rest.  With no problem, just look for on of there tool trucks, stop and ask for one of there business cards. Call them and ask when they are going to be in your area.

Sears tools used to rule, but there quality has gone down the tube over the last 10 years or so. SK was a good tool supplier, but people did not like there prices, Thing is they very / very seldome brok or failed and they would rebuild or repair them at most locations for next to nothing. parts but no labor.

The good ones are going because price is king and I have spent more for the cheep tools then I have ever spent on good tools up front.

Rich.

I'm not close to being very handy with tools.  I like and have both Kobalt and Craftsman!  For power tools, I have Milwaukee! 

My SO Linda, has enough tools to make Joe L. green with envy...Her deceased husband was a Mechanical and Electrical Engineer who had a water drilling business and was a well known gun smith!  Tools for every occasion...all Snap-On!  He also made his own tools for special projects.  You want to light up like the 4th off July, come and steal.  :lol:

I carry this kit (older version) with some other miscellaneous tools in the coach. At home I have all of my hand tools from when I was a mechanic, including some shop tools from when I owned the mobile truck repair business.  Home tools are mostly Snap-on and MAC, coach tools are mostly older Craftsman. In the coach I like this type of kit so its all inclusive. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=craftsman+tool+kits&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwixz_Gg28jZAhVjs1kKHf2jB8kQ_AUICygC&biw=1344&bih=726#imgrc=eR14LUWIiBTNrM:

Richard,

You are correct about Snap-On. They do cater to the mechanics in shops. However if you see one of their trucks at a shop or dealer you can go in and buy any tool you want. One of the main differences is each mechanic has an account with the individual Snap-No dealer. You would need to pay with cash or CC. I got my first Tool Box in 1964 and my son in Wyoming has it on his work bench today A good Snap-On dealer can make some really good money.

I also have several Proto tools still.

You can also buy from a Matco truck the same as Snap-On. 

Herman

I have a Snap On ratchet that needs repair but never can seem to have it when I spot him.

I search yard sales for old real Craftsman tools, which  are now at a premium. Grease can be cleaned off easily as long as the tool is great condition. I think they were a step up from Snap On. I like Snap on but $10.00 for a tire stem tool?

A friend of mine bought a complete set of Snap On tools through his employer, an aircraft rebuilder, he paid the employer through payroll deduction nearly two thousand dollars for that set of tools. After he retired, he no longer needed this large set of tools and sold me the complete set for a couple hundred dollars. On of the ratchets was in need of repair, I found a Snap On truck and asked the driver to replace or repair the tool. He took it from my hand, looked it over, then he told me that I could not have it back, because he was required to confiscate it, there was a G in the number of the tool. His claim was that it was a government issued tool and it was against the law for me to have it in my possession. The aircraft company was not owned or run by the government, and I know for a fact that the tools were not stolen by my friend, but none the less I lost the ratchet. All the tools in the set had a G in the number marking, so I can not have those tools repaired or replaced. I personally like the Kobalt brand better than Craftsman tools in these times.

One thing I have noticed over the years, the higher the quality the less likely you are to strip the hex. It seems like cheaper wrenches and sockets will expand under load and slip.

For this (RV) application I will agree with Kay, Kobalt is priced well and holds up great. I carry Kobalt in my co car for those quick equipment fixes, always fun working on something in dress clothes :wacko:. The Craftsman kit I have in the coach is from the 90's, still not as good as the older ones, but not nearly as bad as the later ones. Something to be said for older stuff being built better, the safety on the newer ones is lacking due to quality thus causing more knuckle damage and personal injury. 

I know this may not be popular but has anyone looked at the hand tools offered by Harbor Freight? They now sell polished wrenches that are in my opinion just as good as Craftsman and look like Snap-on and at a significantly lower cost

18 minutes ago, campcop said:

I know this may not be popular but has anyone looked at the hand tools offered by Harbor Freight? They now sell polished wrenches that are in my opinion just as good as Craftsman and look like Snap-on and at a significantly lower cost

They (like many others) have some tool that look good and carry a nice shine. The problem is that there is no way to determine the integrity or quality of the casting and alloy used the make the wrench under the shine. I've had more than a few Chinese made tools which looked and felt great in hand simply snap in two when using them.

19 hours ago, DickandLois said:

I have purchased tools from Snap on, Max tools and all the rest.  With no problem, just look for on of there tool trucks, stop and ask for one of there business cards. Call them and ask when they are going to be in your area.

Sears tools used to rule, but there quality has gone down the tube over the last 10 years or so. SK was a good tool supplier, but people did not like there prices, Thing is they very / very seldome brok or failed and they would rebuild or repair them at most locations for next to nothing. parts but no labor.

The good ones are going because price is king and I have spent more for the cheep tools then I have ever spent on good tools up front.

Rich.

Yep, I agree. Thanks Rich