wayne77590

Aqua Hot - Hydronic System

I'm very new to the Aqua Hot system but all that I read states to service it or have it serviced on a yearly basis.

Yesterday I had it serviced  by Rudy Legett RV Hydronic Repair out of Baytown. Service call and filter/nozzle and clean out was $300 total. Watching the worker-bee in that small tight space made me say I'd see Rudy next year.  I'm very happy that I had it serviced. Although it wasn't that bad there was soot building but there is no telling how long ago it was serviced. Rudy said it was not as bad as he has seen but it was time to service it. Since we bought it used and do not have any service records there is no telling when, or if, it was serviced.

I got an education on the panel lights on the front panel of the Aqua Hot itself. It is very unfortunate that I don't remember what was said.  It'll come to me, just wait a month or two, or a couple years when I ask him to repeat it every year.

One thing that was said, and has been said before on this forum, is to turn the burner on once a month or max of six weeks. Let it cycle through one time. No need to turn the thermostat or elecectric on, just the burner.  It pushes the diesel through and keeps the nozzle clean. If not done, the diesel residue can gel around the nozzle and create problems.

Wayne, you have received some very sound advice. However the tech that services my unit Lloyd De Gerald says to run it at least once a month. If needed to, run the thermostat up to 80 degrees or enough to make the unit come on and then let it run for 20 to 30 minutes. It is the same with your generator. At least once a month under load. This helps keep them both in proper working order.

You may already know it but here is how the Aqua Hot cycles. When you turn it on, the first thing you will hear is the internal blower come on to clear any gases that may have accumulated in the combustion chamber and then the burner will ignite. When it completes the heating and goes off it will repeat the cycle. Burner off and blower will clear the chamber of residual gases.  

The Aqua Hot is a wonderful unit when operating properly and pia when not. The DW loves it because it heats without the loud noise you have from the heat pumps.

Herman

Wayne, good post!

I just received my parts for the "annual tune up" yesterday from Roger B (Aquahot forum). I Might tackle it this weekend if I have time. Funny I almost didn't buy this coach when I saw it had Aquahot. Fear of the unknown I guess! Now I wouldn't buy another coach without it, we love the quiet heat. 

Jim S.  Just do it.  When your out on the road or in a campground, it gets plenty of workout, by washing dishes or body.  I wash dishes on electric side and take my showers on Diesel side.  Off course this past December and January...the furnace was on 7 out of 8 weeks!  Had my annual service 1/26/18, along with engine and generator..next year I get to add Allison and brakes and...:huh::o:D

All the AH experts have different methods of the monthly exercise.  Lloyd's son did the last annual on mine...actually biannual, I do it every second or third year.  For monthly exercise he said to turn on the burner, and walk around the coach.  When you get to the AH exhaust, if it's warm, keep walking around the turn the burner off.  If the exhaust is not warm, wait until it is, then continue the walk and turn it off.  Don't touch anything else.  Also, one thing nobody has mentioned, when using the AH, is the gray temp gauge at the end of the AH opposite the coolant recovery tank.  Once a month, it should be  turned all the way to the right, back all the way to the left, then back to the set position.  

Annual fee was $200.

Has anyone had direct experience owning both an Oasis System and an Aqua Hot System? I'm curious to know the differences in the system, if any. 

Jim, I believe rsbilledwards has Oasis in his Panther. From what I have read they are very similar. 

I am changing my coolant this year in the AH unit along with the annual service, ordered the antifreeze yesterday, last time it was done was 2012. Ours doesn't use boiler fluid, just regular antifreeze. 

AH, Oasis

Same principle, same maintenance.  Oasis = less expensive maintenance, smaller and lighter.. 14x14x26 at 26 pounds, self contained, 55K BTU, cheaper replacement cost. 

There are 2 other heathers like AH & Oasis.  Webasco and Hurricane.   

28 minutes ago, manholt said:

26 pounds

WOW, mine is in the 300 lbs range. Slang name was "IRON DUKE" from what I read :wacko:

Reading the Newmar owners posts on iRV2, many of them are on 2-3 year maintenance schedules with their Oasis and I've not read any mention of exercising the unit monthly. Like I said earlier, there is no mention of monthly exercising the Oasis in their operators manual. 

How do those who have their unit in storage for 4-6 months handle that issue?

Jim, I exercise mine when I need heat. Mostly in part as I am often working on stuff in the winter months and that's my #1 source of heat. I don't see anywhere in my manual that says to exercise it also but I will often do it even when not working inside if I remember. From what I understand it helps keep the nozzle clear., read that on the AH forums. I also only replace my nozzle every other year, but I do replace the fuel filter every spring. If you are having nozzle problems, you will know it! excessive smoke from the exhaust or raw fuel smell in the basement. 

I believe (speculating) that replacing the nozzle every year would apply to people using this more frequently than we do (full timers etc...)

I can't speak to the Oasis units directly, but in my experience and research most mechanical devices do much better overall if they get used. Longevity on something like motor home (or any vehicle, generally speaking) is a balance of protection from the elements and doing what's necessary to keep the mechanical systems in top shape.

If a vehicle is stored (properly) indoors or under cover for 4-6 months every year it's most likely going to have less damage from environmental exposure such as sun and rain. However, any gasket or seal that is in contact with fluids during normal operation will have 4-6 months to dry out and become damaged from non-use. Keeping gaskets and seals from drying out is one of the reasons for 'exercising' equipment. Some of the newer materials being used for gaskets and seals can withstand longer periods of time without contact with fluids. Some cannot.

Bottom line for me is I don't think there's one right answer here. It largely depends on ones priorities, available time to run the systems, and available resources. I try to do the best I can and go into this with the understanding that things will wear out and/or fail.

Thanks, Joe. Both Wayne and Five were told to cycle their AH every 4-6 weeks by their serving technician is why I'm asking this question. Now, you're saying it's not in your AH manual either. I agree with changing the filter annually but I'll have a heck of a time remembering to cycle the Oasis on a monthly basis. The engine heats the water when we're on the road so it's hot when we arrive at the cig. I turn the switch to active both heating elements and that's it. I've only turned the burner on once and that was to make sure it worked.

Jim, that's how we use ours also. Engine heats the unit, we pull in, plug in I flip the electric heating elements on, sometimes the diesel (only if its cold outside). In the AM I will turn the diesel on, DW likes long HOT showers, electric cant keep up.

There is always fuel in the pump within the burner, where there is a concern is the nozzle, it could clog the nozzle at the tip in theory. The system will most likely overcome it but could cause an uneven spray pattern. Since you run your coach more than us, flip it on once in a while in lieu of the electric, let it run through a cycle, that should suffice. I wouldn't go as crazy as a log or reminder, nor would I be alarmed if I missed a month, If I missed 6 months or a year, different story. 

I believe AH assumes the system will be operated more frequently thus the reason for the annual service recommendation and not mentioning the exercising of the unit. Ours sat prior to us purchasing it, that nozzle would drip fuel into the burner rather than an even spray pattern, believe me you will know it, it smoked, the exhaust stunk, and I could smell raw fuel in the basement. I really thought we had a much bigger issue than an $18.00 nozzle.

1 hour ago, elkhartjim said:

Reading the Newmar owners posts on iRV2, many of them are on 2-3 year maintenance schedules with their Oasis and I've not read any mention of exercising the unit monthly. Like I said earlier, there is no mention of monthly exercising the Oasis in their operators manual. 

How do those who have their unit in storage for 4-6 months handle that issue?

See my earlier post for monthly exercise...nothing to it, takes a few minutes.

Different world here.  Have a LPG unit Aqua Hot.  Runs great and I also run unit once a month.  But, no matter how great we do things break.  Unit's burner would not come on right when this latest cold weather came in north Texas.  Locally RV Service guy not familiar with LPG units.  So, off to NIRVC  in Lewisville, Texas.  Found out there is a fuse in the unit on the Burner Card.  Also, that Aqua Hot had a Technical Service Bulletin to replace the Buck Boost (like I know what this is).  Since Aqua Hot identify this is a part replacement all cost is owner.  I get it, call it a REPLACEMENT PART and not a DEFECTIVE PART.  Get it.

45 minutes ago, FIVE said:

See my earlier post for monthly exercise...nothing to it, takes a few minutes.

No problem, now if you'll send me a message once a month to flip the switch there really won't be a problem. 

On 3/1/2018 at 8:54 AM, hermanmullins said:

Wayne, you have received some very sound advice. However the tech that services my unit Lloyd De Gerald says to run it at least once a month. If needed to, run the thermostat up to 80 degrees or enough to make the unit come on and then let it run for 20 to 30 minutes. It is the same with your generator. At least once a month under load. This helps keep them both in proper working order.

You may already know it but here is how the Aqua Hot cycles. When you turn it on, the first thing you will hear is the internal blower come on to clear any gases that may have accumulated in the combustion chamber and then the burner will ignite. When it completes the heating and goes off it will repeat the cycle. Burner off and blower will clear the chamber of residual gases.  

The Aqua Hot is a wonderful unit when operating properly and pia when not. The DW loves it because it heats without the loud noise you have from the heat pumps.

Herman

Well, I'm wondering why Lloyd wants to exercise the thermostat. The nozzle is the only thing that will gel up. Just turning the burner on, letting it cycle, and shutting it off is sufficient to keep the diesel from solidifying on the nozzle.

Yes, the whoosh, then the combustion when turning the burner on.  When turning it off the reverse happens, burner turns off, fan runs for 2-3 minutes and is a timer and not dependent on temperature.

I love the quiet running versus the heat pump.

On 3/1/2018 at 9:55 AM, jleamont said:

Wayne, good post!

I just received my parts for the "annual tune up" yesterday from Roger B (Aquahot forum). I Might tackle it this weekend if I have time. Funny I almost didn't buy this coach when I saw it had Aquahot. Fear of the unknown I guess! Now I wouldn't buy another coach without it, we love the quiet heat. 

Joe, I don't know all the nomenclature but there is a cone like device that builds up soot. A must clean.  Don't need to make it shiny just get it off. Of course if you are OCD you can spend a couple hours on it instead of a couple minutes.

On 3/1/2018 at 1:32 PM, elkhartjim said:

I quickly read through my Oasis manual and it doesn't say a thing about running it monthly, etc. 

Wouldn't be the first time something was left out of the manual.

Rudy is an authorized Aqua Hot Repair person as probably is Lloyd.  So let's see, 2/3rds say turn the burner on monthly.

Don't forget, you have a calendar on your computer that you can put in a schedule for every 4 or 6 weeks to pop up and remind you.

Yes and my thinking is that the fuel delivery system may be different and there is no need to run it monthly.

For AH I'm going to call the company when I think to call them and ask.