Has anyone found a way to activate the EPS  on a Cherokee Trail Hawk.  Mopar had no relay for the activation, that is recommended by Blue Ox for flat towing.

Or are you just towing w/o activation?

Herman.  Makes sense to me, Catch 22!

ktconners.  From what I have read and been told by FMCA, hate to be crude, don't hold your breath!  April to July, to ???

Oh man I hope not. We have our first big trip coming up. The local Jeep dealer had said that if the harness for the 2018 is still not out, they would put the harness for the 2017 (which is currently backordered but available, he said) on our 2018 Trailhawk. I think the BlueOx people had said they had a client in Indiana who did that and it worked fine (Base plate compatible etc) I would hate to postpone trip or have my wife follow me up in the Jeep.

Does it sound like I might be getting fed a fairytale?

This is John Johnston, associate editor for Family Motor Coaching magazine. In late February, my contact at Fiat Chrysler told me that a new Mopar Flat Tow Wiring Harness for Jeep Cherokee is being produced by a new supplier. He said: "At this point the parts are in transit to MOPAR and will be available for order by dealers shortly (I am guessing in the next week or two). Looks like the part number will stay the same."

I've heard from at least one Cherokee owner who said his dealer will install the part this week (March 14).

Just spent almost $4000.00 to prepare our 2018 Jeep Cherokee Trail hawk to flat tow on a long trip in two weeks.  Hook everything up today to practice tow around our small village to practice turns on city streets.  To my dismay, unable to release steering wheel on the Jeep.  The installation was done by Kings Kamera in Wausau, wi.  They never indicated that I would have any additional difficulty.  They used a Blue Ox wiring harness that was supposed to be specific for this car.  Drives me crazy. 

jlsparke,

Welcome to the Forum. You must have a steering wheel lock pin that must be released by placing the key in the accessory position.Give that a test drive.

Herman 

Followed all the instructions in the manual.  Apparently, you will need to install a specific Mopar wiring harness, in order for all the procedures listed to work and release the steering wheel.  Finally found a Jeep dealership that understands the process.  I will know tomorrow, if he is right on what needs to be done.  Contacted several dealerships that are in the dark on this situation.

Jim S.  Your right.  I just read the whole "Bleep", thing! 

jlspark.  Is your Trailhawk a 1phase or a 2 phase?  If it's a one, then you can't tow it, there is no N in transfer case.  The procedure for towing is reminiscent of the 2009 Jeep Wrangler or the 2008 Colorado 4x4.   Steps are the same and you need a battery charger.  The only difference is there is no wheel lock! 

It is the one that is tow able.  I have performed all the steps at least a dozen times.  I am able to free up the drive train and transmigration, no problem.  The only step missing, is to unlock the steering system.  Just spoke with a Jeep dealer that has ordered the Mopar wiring harness, mention in the Owners Manual.  The part has not arrived yet at his dealership.  He intended to open up the box and check it all out.  The harness is priced at $132.00.  Have no idea on the install price.  There just always seems to be a little piece of information that is missing, in a lot of stuff dealing with the motor coach.

I have one more question.  If we can solve this steering problem, we are planning to leave our snow laden home in Northern Wisconsin, for Gulf Shores, AL in two weeks.  This will be our first attempt at towing a vehicle.  Have dodged that process for the last 5 years.  During out trip down, we are making two over night stops at campgrounds with pull through sites.  It is our hope to not have to disconnect the towed at either of the those campgrounds.  My question is, will it be OK to level the coach for the night, with out unhooking the car?  

49 minutes ago, jlsparke said:

My question is, will it be OK to level the coach for the night, with out unhooking the car?  

Yes it will be fine to not unhook, but you must remember to honk your horn when passing through Birmingham, or I will consider you to be unfriendly.:rolleyes: Have fun in Gulf Shores. and be sure to venture over to Pensacola Florida, just a few miles, and visit the Blue Angels, you may be lucky and get to watch a practice run, if there is no shows scheduled while you are there.

Yes, as Kay said & Yes, as Kay suggested. :)

As for price of harness & install?  I think I read on Forum $400+/-!  Should all be free by Fiat/Daimler!  But as long as people with RV's keep buying any thing by Jeep, other than the Wrangler 4x4, it will not...they laugh all the way to the Bank! :P

I still I don't understand, did you special order this Jeep with a locking steering wheel? Everyplace I look it never says a thing about a locking steering wheel. 

Jim S.

We are getting part or half answer's, wondering if it belongs to someone else.  Like you own it, but you don't even know if it's a phase 1 or 2...just that its the towable one...they are all towable, but only one model is 4 down! :wacko:

50 minutes ago, manholt said:

Jim S.

We are getting part or half answer's, wondering if it belongs to someone else.  Like you own it, but you don't even know if it's a phase 1 or 2...just that its the towable one...they are all towable, but only one model is 4 down! :wacko:

🤷‍♂️

I'm Still trying to figure how he spent $4000 rigging his Trailhawk for towing.  I may to start another business if there is this kind of profit in rigging toads. I've installed base plate, M&G Brakes and lights on three Jeeps and a Malibu and I don't think I spent much more than that on all four combined. On second thought, I didn't spend close to that.

Roadmaster 6000, $700, Safety cables & connectors at Tractor Sy. $60+/-, M&G installed $1,100.  Next time I'll install my own M&G.  I don't use a base plate!  The Roadmaster and cables, was also used on 2 Colorado 4x4 and another Jeep! 

Yes, I thought I mentioned that earlier.  It is a 4 x 4 model, with a 2 speed power transfer.  It has a Neutral button to disconnect the drive train and transmission.  Had a 2016 Chev Equinox, that I was afraid to tow, as GM still has not made up their mind on what to do to tow the darn thing.  Traded it for this 2018 Cherokee Trailhawk at $38,000.00 some we could tow the darn thing.  Spent another $4000.00 for tow bar, base plate and wiring harness.  Yet, I am still unable to tow.  Very frustrating.  All the Trailhawk models are set up for towing, at least from the drive train and transmission are concerned.  The sales people, as well as the service people at these Jeep dealerships are not up to speed on what needs to be done to tow.  There needs to be a Jeep seminar for the folks.

Hang on, hold it, stop the presses. 

I thought and guess I thought it because what you wrote is you can't get the steering wheel unlocked and now you're saying it's because of the death wobble the Jeep Cherokees have been having for several years. Google "Jeep Cherokee death wobble" and you can find enough information to keep you busy for a few days. 

No, it has nothing to do with the death wobble on the Cherokee.  I have not pulled the thing, because I can not unlock the steering wheel.  That has been, and still is the issue.  We got ride of the Equinox, because of the potential wobble on that vehicle.