Aside from traveling, you sometimes need to just stay in place.. weather conditions, resting from driving, medical conditions, or just taking care of business...

There's many large cities that restrict access to where you can land your rig or just park overnight.  Some situations might make it feel like you're a shark, always in motion, so what do you do?   You can't always just head for the hinterlands. 

Then, there's time when repairs just are required and your home is temporarily disabled....and you have to dock for repairs or take the rig to a professional?   I'm sure that very few of you do major mechanical work on your RVs.... including transmission, engine,  fuel and electrical problems? 

All of these are serious questions.... what's the best alternative for these things? 

Having a contingency plan for all of these things are really important.   

1 hour ago, MWeiner said:

Aside from traveling, you sometimes need to just stay in place.. weather conditions, resting from driving, medical conditions, or just taking care of business...

There's many large cities that restrict access to where you can land your rig or just park overnight.  Some situations might make it feel like you're a shark, always in motion, so what do you do?   You can't always just head for the hinterlands. 

Then, there's time when repairs just are required and your home is temporarily disabled....and you have to dock for repairs or take the rig to a professional?   I'm sure that very few of you do major mechanical work on your RVs.... including transmission, engine,  fuel and electrical problems? 

All of these are serious questions.... what's the best alternative for these things? 

Having a contingency plan for all of these things are really important.   

We always travel with intentions of staying one place for at least a day. Unless its a brief rest stop while traveling on the road, then my DW will seek out a place to park, be it a Campground, Walmart, Cracker Barrel, Truck stop with RV parking etc, the options are endless, or I should say have never been a problem in 10 years. I suggest a book like the FMCA atlas, it identifies locations like this and is a handy tool. Another one is a book called "The Next Exit", these tools will also provide dump stations to get rid on the gray and black waste, refill the fresh supply.

In 08 we went to CA from PA and back, stopped at two CG's one out and one back on the way home only to have the tower catch fire when I flipped the breakers on, It happens.

Those books mentioned above were worth their weight! 

large city's, we have traveled to many of these, we park the coach at a campground, either drive the toad in or take public transportation, one of our favorite is those city trolley buses you get to hop on and off, hop back on later. We have done DC, NYC, Boston, Philly, if those don't accommodate our plans we catch a cab, did that in NYC to hit a few spots that weren't on the bus list. This is always pre-planned and booked with a specific destination in mind, DW will draw up an itinerary so we don't miss anything of interest in that area. 

Repairs on the road, all Diesel shops have adequate parking for large vehicles, some even have hookups. Your coach might find this more difficult than us, as most diesel shops will not have invested in special software to read Light duty MB engines. Large ones are in the same category as us as your coach type is not their core business and that's a steep investment for a shop. Cummins, CAT, Detroit, HD Mercedes Benz, all can be diagnosed with universal scan tools. I can actually pull fault codes from my dash also, that will determine if I handle or pay someone. Day trip from there with the toad and make the best of it, come back at night and stay in the coach is what I have read most will do. 

I carry spare fuel filters and enough tools to swap them and most other tasks that come along. I also give our coach a good look over prior to going anywhere, usually days in advance, anything that looks suspicious gets addressed then. I have also walked around and checked wheel torque prior to leaving.

Minor issues I would handle, if I needed help, call a mobile service in. I had a pipe break at the Grand Canyon Railway Campground a few years ago, hopped in the jeep went to the hardware store, came back and fixed it, might have taken me an hour from start to finish.

A wise man once said on this forum, "some of the fun repairing your RV is having the excuse to buy a new tool" Wildebill quote from 2018, smart guy that Bill is :P

When life gives you lemons, make Limoncello, buona giornata :)

Castaway in your RV?

Why? :huh: Are you Lost? :D  You have come up with several dozen heading's, since last July...this is by far, the most loony!  I can only guess, that it pertains to those who full time, in witch case it dose not pertain to General Discussion! 

When your dealt a hand of Lemons....Lag Citrone Safte!!!:)

Do you feel like a "castaway" in your RV?

Never!  

I always feel a sense of unparelled "freedom" to wander and explore the open road ahead. And a sense of being "Home" whereever we are parked. 

14 minutes ago, IanBullock said:

Do you feel like a "castaway" in your RV?

Never!  

I always feel a sense of unparelled "freedom" to wander and explore the open road ahead. And a sense of being "Home" whereever we are parked. 

Well said! I have to agree 100%, the only thing that changes is the view out the window.

Remember guys, we have all the necessities and comforts of home in our motorhomes. I guess if you don't have those comforts you could feel like a castaway. 

Jim S.

Yeah, like having Motel stays to shower and stretch out on a long 10K+, 3 month trip, or finding a RV park with clean RR & Shower facilities.  That would make me feel like a Castaway!  Oh, Well...Different strokes.

Sometimes I feel like Gilligan, does that count. But the queen uses something a little heavier than a captains hat.:o

Naww, not sure about that.  :unsure:  DW just want to make sure your paying attention!  :lol: She probably feels cabin fever, like you! :o

Tomorrow am, this coach is heading East, right behind Wayne...if he leaves after 10am, it might be!!!:o

If I felt like a castaway anywhere, I wouldn't be there! If my motorhome made me feel like a castaway, I would get rid of it.

Of all the posters, it seems you're the only one that feels like you're a castaway. You stated we need a contingency plan when we feel like a castaway so my question to you is - what is your contingency plan? 

Mark, not sure how you are with maintenance, I am a bit excessive with our coach and vehicles. 

I sat on the board for a large OEM when I was a master tech for that manufacturer. Writing maintenance procedures and processes helping with carry real world experiences to them for resolution and corrective action. There is only so much you can do as preventative maintenance. The rest...well is up to the OEM and its design and quality of materials sourced. Unfortunately that is where most manufacturers fail today, to the lowest bidder isn't always a best practice, but seems to be the only path today.

The internet will be the saving grace for most, you can locate service with a phone and Internet connection. Might not a bad idea to print out a map of eligible service locations along your path and have their number and hours handy. 

4 hours ago, jleamont said:

Mark, not sure how you are with maintenance, I am a bit excessive with our coach and vehicles. 

I sat on the board for a large OEM when I was a master tech for that manufacturer. Writing maintenance procedures and processes helping with carry real world experiences to them for resolution and corrective action. There is only so much you can do as preventative maintenance. The rest...well is up to the OEM and its design and quality of materials sourced. Unfortunately that is where most manufacturers fail today, to the lowest bidder isn't always a best practice, but seems to be the only path today.

The internet will be the saving grace for most, you can locate service with a phone and Internet connection. Might not a bad idea to print out a map of eligible service locations along your path and have their number and hours handy. 

Jim, just sent you another private message on this subject, please reply to me there. ---Mark