altlamp

Mail Service

What’s the best traveling mail service to you when you’re traveling for an extended period of time? We’ll be gone for 6 months and won’t stay at one place for more than 3 or 4 days. I’d appreciate any suggestions for a forwarding service. Thanks!

First, Welcome to the Forum.

The Escapee's Mail forwarding out of Livingston, Texas seems to be very good for a lot of folks. You can feel that they will be there for a long time. Some others seem to be going good for a period of time then something goes awry.

If we are going to be gone for an extended period of time I personally would have the mail forwarded to my son's house. Have him sort it and toss all the political, charity, hearing aid, grocery flier's and all other junk out. Then when we know where we will be we would have him send it to our next destination. 

Good luck and enjoy your travels.

Herman 

I haven't ben gone for 6 mo. yet. The mail forwarding services look like a good way to go. I have everything that I need to pay on auto or where I can pay on line. There are still a couple I have to call to pay. I have the post office hold all my mail. I have a PO box and t works ok. With the delivery to the house you can do the same thing but it is for a month at a time and you have to renew the hold monthly. Yes it takes a while to sort through the box when you get home. Longest so far is just over 4 mouths.

Bill

The last time I checked the post office won't hold mail for more than a month.  We travel 5-6 months at a time so I built a mail box that holds the mail.  I have my granddaughter come by every month or two and empties it out and looks to see if there is anything important. 

Well yes they do. You have to cancel the hold and renew it each month. Ben doing it that way for about 5 years. The PO box I riley don't have to do anything as when the box is full they start a bigger box on the shelf in the back. I just tell the guy working that section so he doesn't keep trying to pack stuff into the box.

Bill