oldgrape

Possible retirement in the Waco, TX area

Howdy All,

The better half and I are looking down the barrel of retirement in the next year or two. We are looking at the Waco, TX area as a possibility. We are currently in Northern VA and are tired of the cold and paying taxes on everything. So I hope some of you out there may have some close to first hand info on the Waco, TX area. I know it's not too far from Ft Hood. Can any one tell me or recommend any of the small surrounding communities. We want to look at getting a small house with enough room for the RV and use it for our base when we hit the road semi-full time. Also can anyone tell me if there are any oriental markets in or around Waco. 

Oldgrape,

Waco has had some very cold weather this year. What would be your thoughts on say Corpus Christi ? I know it is farther south but is has a much warmer climate and there is NSA Corpus Christi. 

Welcome to your upcoming retirement. 

Herman

17 hours ago, oldgrape said:

Howdy All,

The better half and I are looking down the barrel of retirement in the next year or two. We are looking at the Waco, TX area as a possibility. We are currently in Northern VA and are tired of the cold and paying taxes on everything. So I hope some of you out there may have some close to first hand info on the Waco, TX area. I know it's not too far from Ft Hood. Can any one tell me or recommend any of the small surrounding communities. We want to look at getting a small house with enough room for the RV and use it for our base when we hit the road semi-full time. Also can anyone tell me if there are any oriental markets in or around Waco. 

Do you have a RV now?  Herman has a good idea with Corpus Christi. I would take a trip to the area and look around. You are not far from the Fort Worth, Dallas area or Austin and the Hill country. You also have the biggest Military town period in San Antonio. 

Bill

Quite a few Army folks refer to Ft Hood as "the armpit of central Texas."  If you have never been there before in the summer, I'd check it out before just moving.

Central Texas is HOT and DRY in the summer.  You can have temps over 100 degF and not rare to see 110 degF.  Extended periods of no rain.  Before you move, i'd check it out with a visit in July and August.

Ken

Waco, Temple, Killeen, Copperas Cove, Gainesville... All towns that surround Ft. Hood.  Dry and Hot in Summer, wet and cold in Winter!  You ever been to a Military Training Camp, that had nice weather?

As  Bill308 pointed out, San Antonio is the ultimate town for a military retiree. The winters are mild, and the summers just aren't that bad for a town in Texas. Have spent many weekends in the area through all seasons and never found the climate objectionable. 

When the hurricanes hit the coast,  the Navy sends a lot of aircraft inland. San Antonio and even San Angelo where I lived as a kid. Remember those Navy Pilots  setting there fighters down on the numbers with smoke flying from the tires. That is what they  were  taught even though  the runway was easily over a mile in length. We lived a short distance from the main runway. Remember it well. 

Why settle somewhere you may want to leave during a stormy summer?  I forgot how much appeal San Antonio has. Waco would definitely not be a pick for me.

I fell behind on this. :) So the wife made a decision :blink: As they always seem to do. :)  We are retiring part time to the Philippines (6 - 8 months a year) and part time over here on the road. We have a house there now so will be comfortable. It will give us a chance to travel around Asia at our own pace for a couple years. Thanks for all the insight and great recommendation. I personally liked the Corpus and San Antonio ideas. I've been to each city a few times as well as the Killeen area.