Sign in to follow this  
GiraAmerica

Water Miser Battery Caps

Does anyone have experience with the Water Miser Battery Caps. I have four 6 volt Trogan Batterys, and two 12 volt Battery in the same compartment. The 6 volt batterys are charged by the 2000 watt inverter, and the 12 volt are charged by a trickle charger when we are parked and plugged in. The 6 volt batterys are constantly needing water replaced, the 12 volt do not. The inverter display shows a float mode but still the batterys lose water. In addition there is quite a bit of build up on the metal parts in the compartment. Would these Water Miser Caps help.

I would guess the inverter is charging too high a rate or the batteries are bad or too old.  The float setting on the inverter should be about 13.2 volts.  

Loss of water

Gira.  Before you buy anything, you need to find out why your losing water.  Sounds to me like you have a bad 6V battery and it's causing the others to cook!  I would also look at  the setting of your Float Charge...6.4V is normal.   

Gira.

12V Battery = 13.1 to 13.2V  When fully charged.  6V Battery = 6.4 to 6.6V  The 6V is in series of 2 to = a 12V battery!   My coach has 2 inverters and each is 4, 6V batteries!  Think Golf Cart. All of my house batteries are AGM's, that means that I cant add water, they are all sealed.  More expensive, but less to worry about. :)

Desertdeals69 is correct, in that on your panel it gives a 12V reading not a 6V....same with my panel, I get 12V reading of each bank!

12 hours ago, GiraAmerica said:

I'm a bit confused. Desertdeals69 recommends 13.2v, and Manholt says 6.4v float setting. Help me understand.

For some reason different mfg have different numbers.  If your in that ballpark you should be ok.