firststring

Driving thru Central Valley in CA

Driving a Class A with towed from Bakersfield to Sacramento on our way home, does anyone have advice/preference on I-5 vs CA99?  I-5 was a rough ride in December, 99 was a construction mess last time we used it in 2015. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum. You must have gone north east when you left.B) I haven't been there this year but 2 years ago they were both fairly rough. Not terrible but about average. Speed limit is 55 towing so that will help. 

Bill

Hi, thanks for the welcome. Home is near Mt Shasta, coach is HR diesel 34'. We hang out near Palm Springs all winter and go home via CA 62, 247 and 58 to Bakersfield before heading north - we do NOT go near Los Angeles or the Grapevine. Don't mind a few extra miles to avoid traffic and bad roads. 

I will be darn , Firststring. Your route around LA is exactly what I recommend. As to 99,i it has always had a lot of chop and I mean for years. The ride depends on your rig. Wheelbase and the hook up for your toad. I used to stretch things out when running an 18 wheeler with moveable trailer tandems , but of course, you can't do that. I-5 gets pounded beyond a pleasant ride also. 

What orchestra do you play with!?

firststring.

The last time that I was in that area, I came out of Barstow to Mojave and took 395 all the way to Susanville, then took 36 to Red Bluff and I-5N.  I have a 45 foot and had no problems any where!  I can remember, 99 when I worked in the Bakersfield Oil Field, USNAVY Oil Reserve.  That was in 1978 and 99 was a bad road then! :angry:

I would think that if you live and play in CA., you would know, every road in the State.:)

Firststring/ Carl's idea to go north on US395 to Susanville is a good idea, but 36 takes you through Feather River Canyon and adds unnecessary miles. Pickup CA 44 off of 36 west of Susanville about ten miles. 44N will join CA89. Follow 89N to I-5 and Mt. Shasta.

The roads may look skinny on a map,  but they are all good for 18 wheelers and therefore for motorhomes. What could a trucker from south central PA possibly know about such a route? Easy! I loved running the western states. I loaded wooden doors in Weed for a back haul east and fruit in Medford Oregon for the same. Used the routes described in both directions. Even in the winter.  Normally used I-80 east bound on the return to the east coast.

Thanks Carl, Byron & Betty. I like the 395 to Susanville route but since the Sierra got 3 to 5 feet of snow last weekend with another front on the way, it might not be an option for this trip. When we come home from visiting family back east we take I-80 to 395 to Susanville to McCloud and it is a peaceful drive through the forest...in autumn, not winter. We do live and play in CA and, like the rest of the country, our roads are in bad shape but better than we experienced from MN to MA. Guess we'll stick with the devil we know and take I-5.  

"Firststring" is a word play on our name - no orchestra here, but I was first chair clarinet in junior high - haha. Now I need to go figure out how to complete my profile on the forum.

Again, thanks for your recommendations.