Sign in to follow this  
pcowen

LP Tank Shutoff Valve Leaking - venting tank

I have a 2014 Fleetwood Bounder.  I keep it stored outdoors in the Chicago area.  Preparing for a trip to Yosemite and when I got to lp systèms the shut off valve leaked gas.  Tank is horizontal and was filled (75%·)during winterizing in fall.  Contacted my dealer and had them order the parts to fix shut off valve.  Today after delivering coach for service got a call that tank is venting/draining slowly in 30 to 35 degree temps.  Curious on feedback as to slow venting in these conditions.  Any comments would be greatly appreciated. 

To to clarify what I am looking for is should it take days (as per vendor) or hours to drain/vent a full lp tank in 30 to 35 degree weather?  

Not sure what you're asking. If the tank has a leaky valve it will continue to leak until either it's repaired or empty. If the shop does LP service the should be able to evacuate the remaining LP in the tank, otherwise it's a safety hazard.

I just went through this with our coach over the winter. I had to pull both horizontal tanks and take them in for repair/service/certification due to a leak in the valve that was causing a safety issue. Ended up having safety relief valves, fill valves, and hand valves all replaced.

Confusing post.  Heat will cause liquid propane to expand, your at 5% below, allowable fill level of 80%, so outside temps should not cause "Venting"!  You have a leak, maybe not as extreme as Richards was, but still a leak and it must be addressed by a shop that can fix it and re-certify the tank...I don't think the dealer has a clue, other than wanting to replace the tank you got.  I would go to shop and see what all the options are...it may be that a replacement is better for your case.   Richard has totally different Horizontal tanks, from your tank and 90% of the others out there! :)

I had a slight leak in our tank’s fill valve. RV dealers didn’t want to deal with it and recommended I go to a propane supplier. I found Amerigas in Lansing, Illinois. They had to vent all of the gas out of the tank, then replace the valve. In the process they broke the gauge sender and had to replace that too (but didn’t charge for the extra labor). Took a week or two for the whole process due to their other clients. Everything’s been working fine since.... 

—Tim

10 hours ago, pcowen said:

To to clarify what I am looking for is should it take days (as per vendor) or hours to drain/vent a full lp tank in 30 to 35 degree weather?  

If you're asking about how long it takes for an LP dealer to remove the propane from the tanks before doing the work, then I don't see how it would make much of a difference. The shop that did the work on my tanks does most of their work in an unheated work space they've built in an empty loading dock, and they work on tanks in all types of cold weather. Your shop should be removing and capturing the propane in your tanks (pumping it out), not simply waiting for it to leak out on its own.

3 hours ago, manholt said:

Richard has totally different Horizontal tanks, from your tank and 90% of the others out there! :)

True. Very different than most modern RVs, though the style of tank we have is still in use in many other industries. The basic concepts are the same though. Liquid propane goes in and fills the tanks -- vapor leaves the tank and is used to provide heat. Regardless of the form factor of the tank, we still have the same basic components - fill valve, hand valve, relief valve, etc. Bottom line, regardless of style of tank there should be no leaks of any type.

If they run a hose to safe location then put a heater on tank it will vent faster or if they can remove as liquid 

When you vent vapour it draws  heat so the tank will ice up and propane is liquid a -42F you can put in a cup like water 

Propane venting

bm.  Yes, that should work, as long as you and the cup, also stay at -42F !  As for drawing heat, you need to go back to the drawing table, the liquid will give off vapor and pressure in a contained environment as you put heat on.  By the way, I would not want to be the one holding your cup! :blink::wacko: