rameller

2007 Monaco Cummins ISC does not shut down when turning off ignition?

2007 Monaco Cummins ISC does not shut down when turning off ignition.  Has anyone else experienced the same.  My guess is the IGN 1 or IGN 2 (Start/Run) relay?

My ISB did this twice and Freightliner was never able to find the problem because it never happened again. The two times it happened Freightliner had me pulling relays, fuses, etc and it would never shut down. I finally pulled the negative chassis battery cable to kill it. 

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:21 AM, desertdeals69 said:

Good place to start.  See if the trigger wire is live or not when the key is off.  How did you stop it or is it still running?

I tested the 2 IGN relays and they tested O.K.  I shut off the engine in the battery compartment cut off switch.  I do not know what the "trigger wire" is.  I think I need to find the fuel pump solenoid and test it.  Thanks.

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 0:32 PM, elkhartjim said:

My ISB did this twice and Freightliner was never able to find the problem because it never happened again. The two times it happened Freightliner had me pulling relays, fuses, etc and it would never shut down. I finally pulled the negative chassis battery cable to kill it. 

Thanks for responding.  The chassis battery cut-off switch in the battery compartment is a easy way to kill the engine.

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:31 AM, WILDEBILL308 said:

Just a guess but I would look at the fuel shut off solenoid.

Bill

I tested the 2 IGN relays and they were O.K.  Next I need to locate the fuel shut off solenoid and test it.  Monaco/REV has not returned a telephone call.  Not very happy with them.  I really do not know what to check next if it is not the fuel shut off solenoid.  I will report back.  Thanks

Call Monaco Tech Department....It may take a couple of times...do it via operator, she'll get someone eventually.  I ended up with the head of Tech, I called a VP.

Had this problem after I changed a Leece Neville alternator to a Delco Remy. I believe the Leece Neville ignition wire terminal has a diode that prevents power back to ignition switch. After changing to Delco Remy alternator, coach would not shut off as you describe. Power was back feeding from alternator to ignition switch preventing engine shutdown. I installed a diode, in line, on ignition terminal on back of alternator. This fixed problem. In your case, the diode in your alternator may have failed and is allowing power back to switch. To check and see if this is your problem, locate ignition wire by turning on switch, and finding hot wire.  When switch is off you should not have any power at end of wire that hooks to ignition terminal. Also by disconnecting this wire from terminal when coach is running, engine should shut down if this is your problem. Hope this helps.

You do not have a fuel shut off solenoid externally, that would be on an Pre 1998 engine. Yours is internal to the fuel injection pump. You should have a fuse and relay to cut power to the injection pump, if you pull it and its still running you either have a short (not likely) or power back feeding as mentioned in the post above this from Frank.  

I would call Cummins with your engine serial number to find out how it is supposed to operate.

Cummins; 1-800-343-7357

4 hours ago, frank.bergamo said:

Had this problem after I changed a Leece Neville alternator to a Delco Remy. I believe the Leece Neville ignition wire terminal has a diode that prevents power back to ignition switch. After changing to Delco Remy alternator, coach would not shut off as you describe. Power was back feeding from alternator to ignition switch preventing engine shutdown. I installed a diode, in line, on ignition terminal on back of alternator. This fixed problem. In your case, the diode in your alternator may have failed and is allowing power back to switch. To check and see if this is your problem, locate ignition wire by turning on switch, and finding hot wire.  When switch is off you should not have any power at end of wire that hooks to ignition terminal. Also by disconnecting this wire from terminal when coach is running, engine should shut down if this is your problem. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply.  I had to replace an alternator about 15 months ago, first time this has happened.  I spoke with Monaco today and they also said power back feeding.  They said to start the engine and begin pulling fuses 13-24 one by one to see which wire is causing the back-feed.  I will let you know how I make out.

3 hours ago, jleamont said:

You do not have a fuel shut off solenoid externally, that would be on an Pre 1998 engine. Yours is internal to the fuel injection pump. You should have a fuse and relay to cut power to the injection pump, if you pull it and its still running you either have a short (not likely) or power back feeding as mentioned in the post above this from Frank.  

I would call Cummins with your engine serial number to find out how it is supposed to operate.

Cummins; 1-800-343-7357

Thanks for the reply.  I spoke with Monaco today and they suggested to go to fuses 13-24 and pull each one by one until the engine stops.  That would be the circuit causing the power back feed problem.  I'll let you know how I make out.

1 hour ago, rameller said:

Thanks for the reply.  I had to replace an alternator about 15 months ago, first time this has happened.  I spoke with Monaco today and they also said power back feeding.  They said to start the engine and begin pulling fuses 13-24 one by one to see which wire is causing the back-feed.  I will let you know how I make out.

I pulled fuss 13 (Dash/AC) and had a spark when I pulled it, the engine continued running.  I tried to re-insert the fuss and had a lot of sparks which prevented me from re-inserting it.  I turned the ignition key off and the engine stopped.  I re-inserted fuss 13 and restarted the engine continuing with fuss 14-24.  Never another spark and the engine continued running.  I turned the ignition key off and the engine stopped.  Would you recommend I do anything more?

1 hour ago, rameller said:

Thanks for the reply.  I spoke with Monaco today and they suggested to go to fuses 13-24 and pull each one by one until the engine stops.  That would be the circuit causing the power back feed problem.  I'll let you know how I make out.

I pulled ignition fuss 13 with the engine running and had a spark.  I tried to re-insert the fuss and had a lot of sparks and had to turn off the engine.  I was surprised it turned off when I turned the key.  I continued with fusses 14-24 and not a spark and the engine continued to run.  I turned the ignition key and the engine stopped.  Like I solved my problem but I really did not do repair anything.  Would you recommend I do anything more?