tireman9

CO alarm need furnace in Perry

Packing for the trip to Perry. Little chilly here in Ohio so turned on furnace(2016 Coachmen Class-C) just to warm things up while working inside. CO ararm went off.

I pulled outside cover to check for any critter nest. All clean.  Vent tube is also clear.

Have looked at the weather in Perry

Ideas?  

Will run to local Lowes to get a house CO detector. This would be battery unit but comparison would identify if my current RV detector is faulty.

Why the installed one in my coach, I'll never know.  Mine is in the outside bottom of my kitchen cabinet...also wired to a battery, amid the noise, I unscrewed the unit and clipped both wires and covered each end with electrical tape.  Then removed the 9V battery, put unit back in the hole.  Went to Ace hardware and got 2 battery operated units.  one in front and one in kitchen!

I'm all electric coach!

Please don't think that you do not need a CO detector in an all electric coach, exhaust fumes from the engine as well as the generator are also deadly. If no lp gas then a gas detector is not necessary, but the CO is still important.

Put the new detector on the floor 6" from the original chirping one.  Pressed the test button on got a double chirp.  kept furnace on for 30 min.  Tested the new battery powered detector. Each time I get a test chirp but the rest of the time it is silent. 

IMO the OE hard-wired detector went bad. Have removed it.

Will contact the mfg re warranty.  For the trip to Perry will rely on electric heaters and mattress heater till I can talk with Atwood furnace rep. if they are there.

CO Detector

Kay, mine is mounted an inch off the floor, below the stove top...there was no other detectors in coach, now there are 4 in celling!  Oops!!!

I'm well aware of the hazards of CO....the "Silent Killer"!  At least with Propane Gas (in a gas bottle), you can smell it!

If possible always get one that has a read out 

you will see it go up with a vehicle driving by or wind changing  direction 

Have some one test exhaust  on furnace should be zero to  two PPM but allowed up to 200 which is not good 

bugs nest in the orifice and restrict gas so air to gas ratio too high which will cause high CO 

some times a good cleaning will fix 

New info.  My unit is Safe-T-Alert 35-742

Online at the company website , I found info on how to read the light color / flash code.  The code indicated Unit Malfunction. Further reading on RV Forums I saw a mention of low voltage.

It ran the furnace fan so I didn't think about battery but Checked and my coach battery was very low (11.70 v)

So I am now more comfortable about using the furnace.  The battery is on charge and will spend a few minutes in Perry to check the CO alarm.  Have decided to keep the battery CO alarm as I placed that one at the recommended shoulder height in the sleeping area.

Who knew that reading the instructions would be of value.:rolleyes:

See you in Perry.           Stop in, say at one of my 2 RV Tire Seminars or one of the 4 Genealogy Seminars.