How many of you have experience a cracked windshield ?? And, how often does it occur?

Did you consider lowering your deductible on your comprehensive insurance?? 

Within two years replaced one windshield and repaired 3 chips. We have progressive insurance with zero deductible and no charge on repairs. Class A motor home.

24 minutes ago, MWeiner said:

How many of you have experience a cracked windshield ?? And, how often does it occur?

Most of us have had a cracked windshield at one time or another, usually happens when a rock flies up and hits the windshield. Do you have one now? If the rock has already flown, too late to lower your deductible, unless unlike most of us, one is deceitful.

Already reported it.. yes, I'll pay the current deductible... just wondering if this is more prevalent on higher profile vehicles..if so, I'll go ahead and lower my deductible for next time... just a hairline crack.. about 10 inches long.. didn't even give it a second thought when I heard the rock hit... short time later it appeared...it will only get worse over time..

Depending on the state that you live in. If the state requires an annual inspection, the windshield may have ro be replaced. I have two friends with state inspection licenses in PA (they have to be proficient ) .  A crack requiring a replacement is at the discretion of the mechanic. Joe Leamont probably has one. Get a chip fixed quickly and you could save a lot of inconvenience..

Mark.

Since 2007, I have had to replace 5 front windshields!  One was caused by a bullet of unknown caliber, on a split windshield.  One windshield, fell out.  3 in the past 2 years, due to rocks!  I carry $500 deductible.  The last 3 in Texas...more people, more construction! :)

From 1967 to 2007=zero!  Therefore, higher profile windows, seem to be more susceptible to breakage!  Keep wondering if Lexan is an answer?

Eligibility. Known as Zero Deductible States, Arizona, Florida, Kentucky, Massachusetts and South Carolina require insurance companies to allow those with comprehensive insurance on their vehicles to pay for and add windshield replacement with no deductible to their policies.

The states listed above require that insurance be zero deductible in these states already, one could move there and the policy will already be in place. Requirement doesn't take place if you are just visiting there though, I had a tree limb fell on my toad two years ago and broke the windshield in Florida, that's when I learned about the law for these states.

Checked with my ins. agent a while ago they said windshield no deductible side glass deductible. Mark conversion vans are standard windshield that most glass companies can do with no problem. The company I use for my glass will even come out to my driveway and do a windshield on my truck or car but the coach would have to go into the shop to be done. Most of the time it’s not a big deal.

My policy has a "Comprehensive With Windshield" which is zero deductible for the windshield.

Just had passenger side front windshield replaced, they came out to my site and it took about 1 hour. $175 deductible.

We had ours replaced once and it needed it again when we lost the rig to a fire.  We had a $1000 deductible.  The replacement cost $2000 so we were stuck with $1000.

I have to have a windshield replaced.  Luckily I have full glass, so no cost to me.  The insurance company said to call Belle Tire or Safelite.  Was curious if anyone has used either of these companies?  I do not know if I should look for an RV specific glass company, or if a standard one like the two listed would be ok.  I am currently in Southwest Michigan.  

Jar,

Give RV Glass Solutions a call. They are in the magazine. They speclize in RVs. They will work with your insurance and have the windshield sent to service center close to you that knows RVs. Great folks.

Herman 

Jar, Welcome to the FMCA Forum !

The windshields in coaches are much higher and bigger  then the ones in most trucks and vanes. Not knowing what kind of coach you are driving - if it is a bugger unit the job is best done inside. So call around and ask questions.

There are locations around that specialize in the larger windshields and a number of them are excepted by insurance companies, but you need to know that right up front.

Rich. 

I have no idea about other safelite facilities, but the one in Birmingham Al., is capable of handling your situation, and have a very good reputation here. I would bet that any larger city would be the same.

When I had my $2,900  front windshield replaced in January (last act by Progressive) it had to come from a company in Elkhart, IN. and shipped to Texas Custom Coach, only brand Progressive would pay for!  I had $500 deductible.  

Do what your Insurer want.