rfsod48

Fuel stop Tx rt 90

Question

Roland. Where on 90 are you?  We don't have a shortage of trucks or truck stops, in Texas!  As long as your not brand oriented, their out there...any Strip's, Beaver, Valero and most regular gas stations, will have 2 or more diesel pumps in back or on side of building!  Look for parked gravel haulers or oil trucks! :)

Carl C.

Thanks Carl and Bill. I will be on 90 in 2 days. Just looking at google maps it didn’t seem like there were many fuel stops. Should have known Texas would have plenty.

Are you talking about US 90? Or TX90.  If US 90 there are plenty of stops but they may be miles apart once you pass Del Rio so don't let it get too low.

Lenp

Roland.

On that road, you'll never run out of fuel.  I fill up in Van Horn or in Marathon if I take the Big Bend Loop!  Alpine and Marfa is a must stop!  We always stay at the Broken Mill RV Park in Del Rio and stock up on Supply's, going and coming...only take I-10, when we are in a hurry or bad weather!

Look for Camels!  They where imported, back in 1800's for the military, but proved to be too much trouble, so they where set free...now they roam free! These are one hump.

12 hours ago, rfsod48 said:

Van Horn to San Antonio. Then we plan to go to the coast and head south.

I would look at 281 south from SA and us 77 when you go back north. 77 will take you back to Corpus Christi and back up to Galveston.

Bill

We are going to stay 3 nights in Alpine, do laundry and see area. Plan to take Jeep to Big Bend National Park for a day. What’s good to eat in Alpine area?

Roland, I'm in Big Bend now. If you're planning to drive from Alpine to Big Bend to do a Jeep thing, you need to leave by 6am to have any time to spend in the park. From Alpine to Panther Junction (information center for BB) is a two hour plus drive. The speed limit in the park is 45 and if you plan on any off road type adventure the speed is only limited to your physical endurance. It took us 6 hours to do a 50 mile adventure yesterday. Remember, this is a huge park. We drove 159 miles today and 90% of that was in the park. My recommendation is to move to a cg in Study Butte and tour Big Bend from there. 

We always bring lunch as there is only one place to eat inside the park and it's pretty much inside the park kind of food. Bring lots and lots of water. My wife and I leave in the morning with a bottle each and take 4 more for each of us. We drink 5 bottles each during the day. If you get down near the river, the temperature will be 10-15 degrees warmer than up in the basin. Plan accordingly. Hat and sunscreen is a good idea. Save your empty water bottles and you can refill at Panther Junction should you run out. Welcome to the desert. 

Enjoy you time however you choose to use it.

Jim, we have a grand Cherokee so no off roading, we just want to get a look at Park. Don’t really have time stay there. Is the scenery better in National Park or state park?

You definitely don't want to go to the state park. That's a 2.5 hour drive to the park headquarters from Study Butte. Something like 30-40 miles on a washboard rock road. 

Take the Ross Maxwell Scenic drive to Santa Elena Canyon, drive up to the Chisos Basin and if you have time drive to Bouquillas Canyon. 

Thanks for the info! Can most of this be done from car? My wife is disabled and unable to walk very far, she does have her motorized scooter along.

Roland, yes.  However, if I may suggest, since you just plan to drive in and out.  Wait until you leave Alpine and take the road to BBNP and go thru park to Marathon in your coach!  Durring your stay in Alpine, take a day trip to Mt. Davis and the Observatory...another evening trip to Marfa, you may see the famous, unexplained Marfa lights!

Roland, Carl's idea of driving the motorhome through the park is another good option. You would not be able to drive the motorhome up to the Chisos Basin however due to length restrictions with all the switchbacks. I think they recommend max of 34ft on motorhomes. 

Most of the walkways are not paved and have steps because of the mountainous terrain. The Sotol Vista Overlook on the Ross Maxwell Scenic Dr gives one of the better panoramic views and is motorhome accessible and the sidewalks are paved. Casa Elena Canyon overlook is good also. There may be others and if you start at the ranger station at Panther Junction, they can tell you exactly the best places for you to go.

Before you leave the area, drive out to the Terlingua Ghost Town and if you have a hankering to meet some of the locals, have a set on the porch and have a visit. It's truly an experience not to be missed. Be forewarned, I'm pretty sure some of these eccentrics are in the witness protection program.  If you decide to come in the Jeep, the drive between Study Butte and Presidio, Hwy 170, is a nice scenic drive. The highway follows the Rio Grande River with several scenic overlooks. I don't recommend driving the motorhome unless necessary.

We are under red flag wind warnings today so hang on to your bonnet.

Jim, how long will you be in the area?  Perhaps you could meet up with Roland for a day...The 2 of you are very much alike! :)

Yeah, with the wind gusting to 40, you can sit back and watch the birds fly backwards!  Or go by the golf course and improve your vocabulary, in several languages! :lol:

Roland is up the road from us but I'll be through there in the morning. I hope to catch some of that west wind tomorrow to blow me back to Canyon Lake. 🌬💨🌬💨🌬💨🌬💨